spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kevinr

@comcast.net

Comcast blocking 8080?

I had a webcam set up on my network streaming video, as of this morning it stopped working and I am thinking it was blocked by Comcast... I have tried other ports as well 9123, 9990 and still nothing, anyone have any ideas around this?

damox
Premium
join:2002-01-07
Olympia, WA
What makes you think Comcast is blocking it?
--
DAMOX

kevinr

@comcast.net
It was a suggestion from tech support for the webcam software... he said Comcast has been starting to block 8080.

damox
Premium
Olympia, WA
So I a understanding that this web cam is on your network, not going across the Internet, is that correct? Also, I am understanding that you do not have a router or hardware firewall between your network and your Comcast modem, is that correct?
--
DAMOX

kevinr

@comcast.net
I have the webcam connected to a mac, that is on a network beind a router, I have auth port 8080 on the router I can see the cam within the network it just my public ip is not allowing traffic to that particular port...

can we discuss this offline? maybe email betwren us?

damox
Premium
Olympia, WA
If your camera is physically on your network, and it's sending it's feed to a computer that is physically on your network, and you are behind a router, then Comcast has nothing to do with it. Comcast cannot affect devices behind your router.
--
DAMOX

kevinr

@comcast.net
ok, let me try reinstalling the software and reconig the router... thatnks for your help and quick responses!

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
My guess would be some other software accessed port 8080, and failed to exit cleanly, "confusing" the webcam software.
a reinstall may help, but if it works and then reoccurs you might want to monitor port access's within the LAN.

PittsPgh
Premium
join:2003-08-21
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
reply to Kevinr
said by Kevinr :

I had a webcam set up on my network streaming video, as of this morning it stopped working and I am thinking it was blocked by Comcast... I have tried other ports as well 9123, 9990 and still nothing, anyone have any ideas around this?
My IP cam runs on port 8080 with no problems.
Did your port forwards get messed up?

Paul

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to Kevinr
To my knowledge, Comcast does not block incoming access to port 8080, but I am not able to test that at this time.

Are you sure that your public IP address has not changed? Comcast's DHCP servers often will preserve a user's dynamic public IP address for such a long time, that it is easy to forget that it is a dynamic IP address and not a static IP address.

The same thing can apply to the LAN IP address used by your webcam server. If you are not statically assigning the IP address to that server, it may have received a different DHCP assigned IP address from your router.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
»portscan.dcs-net.net
»nature-pics.com

bentheexo

join:2009-04-09
Jacksonville, FL
reply to Kevinr
Log into your router and make sure you do not have remote management enabled. Then either set your computer to the DMZ or do an IP Pass-Through, it just depends upon what your router calls it.

FieldHelp

@comcast.net
reply to Kevinr
So what if they chose to block 8080?

Here's what you do.

You set up to port-forwarding to use a different port externally than internally. You would connect using a different external port but still use 8080 from your router to your webcam.

This is assuming your webcam will not allow you to change it to a different port.

SolarPup
Hardware God
Premium
join:2002-03-07
Windsor, CO
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Kevinr
If the OP has a Business SMC Router, with no static IP's, then yes 8080 is blocked because thats what customer support uses to get into the SMC to make changes when you call to request a change to the software.

Just FYI if no one was aware of that.. they locked 8080 down on the SMC's to a specific IP range from the call centers.
--
...I don't have a 16mb speedy connection, I fly through the net at low altitudes!

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:3
reply to Kevinr
Port 8080 is not a port blocked either by default or optionally. A full list of such ports is available here: »help.comcast.net/content/faq/Wha···Internet
--
JL
Comcast

kevinr

@comcast.net
i did get it to work, by reinstalling the software... still dont understand that why it quit working all of a sudden???

thanks for all your help!!!!!!

Kevinr