how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gbynum

join:2002-01-13
Greenville, SC

Problem with Chartre remotes and box volume

I'm helping a friend with 3 Charter HD boxes and 3 remotes for those boxes. One of the remotes will adjust box volume on any of the 3 boxes. Two will not adjust volume. What adjustment or setting have we messed up. He said that 2 weeks ago, at least 2 remotes worked, and he thinks all 3 did ... but I'm uncertain.

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2
You didn't say what the remotes were that he has, but you should be able to find instructions online, on how to program the remote to change the volume as you want.

Here's one site for some of Charter's remotes which may help:

»www.urcsupport.com/index.php?mso_id=310

gbynum

Greenville, SC
There is some good information in your link, but I didn't explain the problem well. 2 _CHARTER_ remotes do not control the volume on 2 _CHARTER_ cable boxes. 1 _CHARTER_ remote will control the volume on all 3 _CHARTER_ cable boxes.

All other functions seem to work properly with the 2 remotes that will not control the CABLE BOX volume on the 2 boxes. I'd guess that a reset may be in order ... maybe rremove nd replace the batteries? We didn't try that, and itshould have been my firs approach, I guess.

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA

1 edit
I guess it was confusing, because the instruction *example* was how to change volume control to another unit than the cable box, but you should try changing the control to the TV and see if it works, and if not change it to cable. The default setting is for TV to control volume.

Everything depends on the [brand] setup code used for each of those TVs in the respective remotes. Sometimes when Charter updates the boxes, I found that the code I was using for my Samsung TV created the same problem he is having with volume control. I would have to reset the volume control with the instructions at the link below, which is for my specific Charter remote.

»www.universalremote.com/product_···=Digital

I finally got a Harmony universal remote to solve my TV code problem, and noticed that when it copied the instructions to work with the Charter DCH6416 cable box, it sets the volume control to the TV... and it works [which is the default on the box], and stays the same now, with the new remote.

Hope this makes sense to you. You have no choice but to try those instructions for his remotes, or calling a Charter Tech to do it for you. Good luck...

gbynum

Greenville, SC
reply to msmisfit
OK, I think with your help I've made a little progress. The model codes don't seem to be on the remotes, but from the sticker in the battery compartment on one, I found

1060 BC2 0582-003-R which seems to be a C4000.

There is another of similar light color

UR4U-MDVR-CHD2 which pops up via friend Google as a UniversalRemote.com product.

OK, his 3rd is a black unit, no identifying marking I see ... unique is a sliding cover over some lower buttons. Is it occasionally necessary to pop the case to find maker and model?

THANKS msmisfit!

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA

1 edit
said by gbynum:

On one I found 1060 BC2 0582-003-R which seems to be a C4000. There is another of similar light color UR4U-MDVR-CHD2 a UniversalRemote.com product.

OK, his 3rd is a black unit, unique is a sliding cover over some lower buttons. Is it occasionally necessary to pop the case to find maker and model?
You are ahead of me, I just kept checking the universal remote sites at Charter, and through Google until I found the model that looked like mine, which is the UR4U-MDVR-CHD2.

I haven't seen anything like the black one he has with a sliding cover, it must be something new. I hope it's the one that is working.

If I were you, I'd follow the instructions for the respective remotes, to verify that the device code [for the TV] is the *best* one, and makes all the buttons/functions work. There are usually several available for the different TV brands.

If you can only get everything to work but the volume control that way, then I'd try the instructions for switching the volume control... until I got it to work. Hope this helps some...

Here's another link to URC remotes you can look at, even some discontinued models, but you should find the ones you're looking for in one of the active lines. Pity it's not easier for cable subscribers to find the mfr. names when needed.

»www.universalremote.com/broadcas···ucts.php

zed2608
Premium
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN
kudos:1

1 edit
»www.urcsupport.com/

its the Millenium 4 remote its one of the older remotes

it came out several years ago its not even capable of dvr or video on demand since the buttons for rewind etc only work on vcr

it was the first remoite i got for digital cable

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA

1 edit
That's the black one with the sliding cover? Not that it matters, I was curious for my own info. TIA...

He should be able to test them all now, at least.