Your a Daisy
Premium Member
join:2001-02-26

1 edit

4 recommendations

hayc59

Premium Member

Comodo continues to issue certificates to known Malware

I was following up on a list of malware sites posted on Dancho Danchev's Blog and yet again I find Comodo issuing certificates to these Malware writers. The reason I say again is I was given a "secret" email address at Comodo a while back to report these culprits ... however I was asked to keep it quiet.
Forum: COU
More Info: MSMVPS Blogs

sded
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
San Diego, CA

1 recommendation

sded

Premium Member

Followup to »REMOVE Comodo Certificates from FireFox, Opera!!! ? I have Opera set up to warn me if any site tries to use a Comodo sponsored certificate.

mers2
Premium Member
join:2004-03-20
USA

3 recommendations

mers2 to hayc59

Premium Member

to hayc59
Absolutely incredible. Just reinforces my decision to not install ANY Comodo product nor will I recommend them to anyone else.

danny9
Go Ahead, Make My Day
Premium Member
join:2002-07-14
Clinton Township, MI

danny9 to hayc59

Premium Member

to hayc59
Do you know if Comodo is the only one doing this or if it is a common practice among other vendors?
Just curious.

ColdinCbus
Premium Member
join:2002-12-28
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

ColdinCbus

Premium Member

Other SSL Cert providers are doing the same thing. The issue is that Comodo also has a security product software line where the other cert providers don't.
Jrb2
Premium Member
join:2001-08-31

Jrb2 to hayc59

Premium Member

to hayc59
Thread at the Wilders board:
»www.wilderssecurity.com/ ··· t=242453

May I quote reply # 34 (from Wolfe) with which I fully agree:
quote:
It al boils down to this (emphasis is mine):
quote:
Today, the biggest issuers of DV certs are Verisign and Godaddy. They have continued issuing DV certs which caused likes of Comodo to offer it as well. If we didn't we would lose customer and the world would have no chance of fight back.

the bolded part from the quote above could well be translated as:

"My competitors in the auto sales branche do provide waranties for cars with failing brakes. Therefore, I must do one and the same, otherwise it would cost me money".

In my book that's by no means a justification; on the contrary. Knowing there's something totally wrong, stating in public one and the same - and persisting in doing the wrong thing can't be justified in any way. Symantics are of no importance here.

Comodo should keep the interest from the public in mind instead of focussing on loosing money/clients themselves. They willingly pick the wrong side.

Wether or not part of the competition is doing one and the same is of no importance; it's Comodo who solely is responsible for their actions. The same goes for the technical relevancy from certificates in question; that is not the real issue at hand here.

hayc59
Your a Daisy
Premium Member

1 edit

1 recommendation

hayc59

Premium Member

Jan sorry to say that thread @ wilders has been shut down

Follow up..more has come to light on this
controversy and looking very strange
»www.calendarofupdates.co ··· try80612

TonyKlein
Premium Member
join:2001-07-02
Netherlands

1 recommendation

TonyKlein to hayc59

Premium Member

to hayc59
Mike has responded in his blog:

»msmvps.com/blogs/hostsne ··· 604.aspx
Jrb2
Premium Member
join:2001-08-31

Jrb2 to hayc59

Premium Member

to hayc59
said by hayc59:

Jan sorry to say that thread @ wilders has been shut down
I know, Gordon.

coldmoon
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
Fulton, NY

1 recommendation

coldmoon to ColdinCbus

Premium Member

to ColdinCbus
said by ColdinCbus:

Other SSL Cert providers are doing the same thing. The issue is that Comodo also has a security product software line where the other cert providers don't.
This complicates things I am sure, but does not always mean that the commercial services "division" is set up to support or coordinate with the PC security side of things. While on a personal note I would suggest strongly that this should be tighter, there is no obligation on the part of a company to follow a specific business or operational model.

The litmus test here is what the competition will do and whether taking an opposing approach to the current models will result in:

1. Greater market share
2. A realignment of the certificate industry that focuses on real security

What is important now is that this is being debated and exposed to a wider audience. At the very least it should give competitors something to think about...

JMHO
Mike

ColdinCbus
Premium Member
join:2002-12-28
Columbus, OH

1 edit

1 recommendation

ColdinCbus

Premium Member

I totally agree with you. What I would like to see is that Comodo, at least, run the process through a database of rouge domains and IP addresses (I am pretty sure they are plugged into the same matrix we are if not even deeper in so they should have access to a pretty healthy list). That should flag some of the certificates for manual review. IT would be a step in the right direction for "Creating Trust Online".

hayc59
Your a Daisy
Premium Member

hayc59

Premium Member

I think that trust has been tarnished
alot and will take time to get it back

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

2 recommendations

MarkAW to hayc59

Premium Member

to hayc59
Trust was out the window a long time ago with Comodo IMO.A good example is what they are doing to BoClean.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

2 recommendations

dadkins to hayc59

MVM

to hayc59
Never liked COMODO...
This just reinforces my dislike.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

sivran to hayc59

Premium Member

to hayc59
Hmmm. I'm beginning to eye my Comodo Firewall with suspicion. While it may be perfectly fine, I don't really trust the company, or their certs.

Perhaps time to look at the last firewall poll and see if I can find one I like! (Comodo's Training Mode is super convenient, for sure)

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

quote:
Hmmm. I'm beginning to eye my Comodo Firewall with suspicion. While it may be perfectly fine, I don't really trust the company, or their certs.
I will still use Comodo Firewall until it is proven that there is something amiss w/ it.

I can think of numerous companies where one part or division screws up well the rest of the companies cranks out excellent products.
TheAnalyzer
join:2006-01-20
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Synology RT6600ax
Synology RT2600ac

1 edit

TheAnalyzer to hayc59

to hayc59
I think that Comodo firewall *may* be an excellent firewall product.
So 'technically' it might be very good.

But in *my* opinion there is also something else apart form the 'technical coding' of the product:

- Trusting the vendor of the product.

I had CFP 2.4 installed for a very long time. It served me very well. I have nothing bad to say about it.

But because of what I hear now about comodo, I do not trust them so much anymore.

Again that does not mean that they make bad products.

regards,

TA

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

Doctor Four to hayc59

Premium Member

to hayc59
I too will keep using Comodo Firewall, despite the erosion of trust in the company. I did however dump their AV in favor of Avira Anti-Vir Free a few weeks ago.

I am looking at alternatives, but am not sure what other free firewall software offers similar features such as the ability to block IP addresses or entire ranges, HIPS, and so on.

hayc59
Your a Daisy
Premium Member

hayc59 to Grail Knight

Premium Member

to Grail Knight
said by Grail Knight:

quote:
I will still use Comodo Firewall until it is proven that there is something amiss w/ it.

I can think of numerous companies where one part or division screws up well the rest of the companies cranks out excellent products.
Grail..I do not know what else you need to see that is happening right before your very eyes!!
»www.calendarofupdates.co ··· try80635

ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

ashrc4 to hayc59

Premium Member

to hayc59
If you can't trust comodo then how can you trust their firewall. They have numerous instances where they have covered up failures or tryed to change results. If something was up with the firewall would they tell anyone?
ashrc4

ashrc4

Premium Member

said by ashrc4:

If something was up with the firewall would they tell anyone?
It would seem elevating it's effectiveness isn't exactly an entirley foreign subject.

»Firewall Leak and HIPS test results

Comodo User
@blueyonder.co.uk

Comodo User to hayc59

Anon

to hayc59
Hmm what a suprise, a Outpost forum moderator spreadin FUD about the competition.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

1 recommendation

Grail Knight to hayc59

Premium Member

to hayc59
As I said just because one part of a company performs poorly that does not make the whole company bad.

Trust me on this I pay attention to what is going on but do not get carried away with things.

ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

1 edit

2 recommendations

ashrc4 to Comodo User

Premium Member

to Comodo User
said by Comodo User :

Hmm what a suprise, a Outpost forum moderator spreadin FUD about the competition.
When's dslr bringing out their firewall. Carn't wait
EDIT : just thought i'd try attentsion diversion myself

hayc59
Your a Daisy
Premium Member

3 edits

2 recommendations

hayc59 to Comodo User

Premium Member

to Comodo User
said by Comodo User :

Actually I am a mod and BETA tester but also MVP
and has nothing to do with the competition
its the crap thats added to all the programs with this tool bar and other stuff...please get your facts correct before posting ignorant statements like that one!!
If you took the time and read through countless threads
and post about this issue and others ..I think you would have second guessed that post!!
but just incase you missed any of the thread I will repost them for you:
and inclosing I gave and give awesome kudos to Mike Nash...owner of Online Armor for telling ask.com where to put it on the tool bar issue....oppps he is competitor for Outpost....oh my

Ask Toolbar in Online Armor Free? Nearly...
»onlinearmorpersonalfirew ··· rly.html

»www.calendarofupdates.co ··· ic=19279

»www.calendarofupdates.co ··· id=44516

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

3 recommendations

dadkins to Comodo User

MVM

to Comodo User
said by Comodo User :

Regardles of who anyone is... crap is crap.
COMODO is crap!

hayc59
Your a Daisy
Premium Member

2 recommendations

hayc59

Premium Member

said by dadkins:

said by Comodo User :

Regardles of who anyone is... crap is crap.
COMODO is crap!
Thank you and just so anyone else
is curious about my alliance with Outpost or any other
software that takes this disgusting route
I would be on Outpost/Agnitum rearend also if they took or take this route in the future....;)

mers2
Premium Member
join:2004-03-20
USA

1 edit

1 recommendation

mers2 to hayc59

Premium Member

to hayc59
I'll back hayc59 See Profile up on character. If a security application he uses takes an action he considers wrong, he'll condemn that software just as much as one he may not use. And he's been consistent showing no favorites.
TheAnalyzer
join:2006-01-20
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Synology RT6600ax
Synology RT2600ac

1 recommendation

TheAnalyzer to hayc59

to hayc59
I usually stay with the security products I have chosen.

But I am very glad now that I changed my firewall product.

(I originally changed my firewall because CPF 2.4 was getting old).

But now I say:
NO comodo software anymore for me ! I say this because I do not agree with what comodo is doing ATM.

I bought a product from Agnitum now. I am running Outpost Pro. And I am very happy that I took this step.

TA

Comodo User
@blueyonder.co.uk

Comodo User to hayc59

Anon

to hayc59
Actually hayc59 i used to be a outpost user till i got fed up with buggy final builds, the closed clique that U call beta testing etc.

You have never ever used comodo firewall but all you do is moan & complain about the company doing the usual microsoft tactic of spreading FUD.

The reason i say that is you dont complain about the other cert sellers that still sell DV certs only complain about comodo.

Nowadays even a lot of paid apps include toolbars (google, yahoo, ask etc) & if folk just blindly click next & they get installed then it their own damn fault for not reading & checking things.

You dont like matousec testing when it started because he didnt give your beloved outpost top marks & you have been calling them dishonest & unreliable ever since comodo got top marks.

At least comodo engages with the users & listens to questions & suggestions etc unlike agnitum that ignore things for the most part, i dont see any agnitum staff posting in the OP forums.

Plus with comodo i can disable any call home function unlike OP that has hard coded rules to download so called news\ads.

I didnt post to start a argument, i only posted cause i have seen over the past few years that you go out of your way to disrespect comodo even though U dont use it & they have never done anything to you.