uniqs
share rss forum feed

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
kudos:1

Yucky gunk in refridgerator water line

This is a somewhat known issue for my particular refrigerator (Whirlpool side by side). There is a long coil of water tubing behind the bottom drawer in the refrigerator. A type of slime has built up in the tube and makes for a rather nasty glass of water.

My guess is it is some kind of algae and has probably occurred because I'm on well water. The water quality is good but the well water contains no chlorine and is a little lower pressure than city water.

I'm thinking of fixing the issue by removing the supply line from under the sink and injecting a bleach solution through the line to clean it out. So my question is, what would be the best way to inject the solution in the water line? A big syringe? Some sort of filter canister?

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

With just injecting beach, you might succeed in killing it all, or you might not. Either way, you are going to have a water line that has a bunch of dead, yucky gunk in it.

Can you replace the line? I would think that is the best solution.

Michail
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL

Hmm, good point. It's supposedly a bit of a pain to replace the tube. I was thinking it would work since the stuff comes out so easily. It's stringy and ranges from clear to blackish. Perhaps an RO system might help keep it clear in the future.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA
kudos:3

You need to get down to the root cause..
Where did the slime come from, and what caused the slime to appear?
Cleaning and or replacing the line might not be a good solution if it just reoccurs.

Michail
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL

Don't know exactly but a google search turned up plenty of hits. I also noticed they were for this or similar whirlpool models. Guess it could happen to others also.

The tubing is clear which could let some light in. Perhaps that is the cause?

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

I haven't seen any of them that it wasn't clear. I think what I would try to do is flush it under pressure. Take the lines off of the solenoids and I like your idea of putting bleach in there but I don't like the idea of running it through the solenoids. So set up something where you can flood the line with bleach and then hook a water hose up to it and flush all of that mess out of there.

I am also on untreated well water (well I was until the well went dry) and have never had this problem. You should probably start doing tests on your well on a regular basis and try to figure out the cause of this problem. First guess since you are in Florida and probably have a shallow well is that fertilizer is getting into your ground water. Do tests and research to discover the actual problem and the solution for your well.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to Michail

Check with a dentist's office, and ask what they use to clean their rinse water supply lines. Their lines need to be cleaned out daily with an anti-bacterial solution.
--
I was born at night... but not last night!

popper

join:2006-05-30
Baton Rouge,
reply to Michail

You could consider replacing the entire run and installing a filter.

Michail
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

This contamination is actually past a filter. But if it is something like high nitrate levels I might need to add an RO filter.

I took a look at the tubing and it looks concentrated at one end and not the coil. Can't tell if it's the inlet or the outlet.

Guess I'll have to remove the line but the job looks to be a pain.

popper

join:2006-05-30
Baton Rouge,
reply to Michail

A bad filter?

@swbell.net
reply to Michail

said by Michail:

Guess I'll have to remove the line but the job looks to be a pain.
Did you see
»www.fixya.com/support/t126202-wa···_w_algae