uniqs

SKYHN
Lu.. Lu.. Lulululu
Premium Member
join:2001-09-16

SKYHN

Premium Member

Zonealarm keeps booting me off Aol...

Im using Aol+ 6.0 and my Zonealarm Firewill will frequently boot me off of Aol. I have given Aol all rights, local and internet, server and connect, and still get kicked off. When I get kicked off, I SOMETIMES get an Alert saying that an address similar to "Ipt.Aol.com" was trying to access my PC, but most of the time it just says "The connection was lost" without a warning or alert. I have the latest version of Zonealarm. I have had it since I first got Aol DSL but I rarely used it up til now since the net has become a hackers paradise. Any idea on what I can do to stop it from booting me?
[text was edited by author 2002-01-15 20:43:13]

thebombs12
Mr. Bombs
join:2001-10-23
San Francisco, CA

thebombs12

actually the zonealarm doesn't actually work with aol plus. dont ask me why but it just doesn't. trust me. if you want a firewall like zonealarm to work then you gotta switch providers.

storm64007
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Freeport, NY

storm64007

Premium Member

said by thebombs12:
actually the zonealarm doesn't actually work with aol plus. dont ask me why but it just doesn't. trust me. if you want a firewall like zonealarm to work then you gotta switch providers.
Hmmmmm..my ZONE ALARM seems to work fine with AOL DSL.Why did you think it was not working for you? I get alerts,ect,and it seems to be working fine.I just started useing it 2 weeks ago.
[text was edited by author 2002-01-15 21:24:22]

thebombs12
Mr. Bombs
join:2001-10-23
San Francisco, CA

thebombs12

said by storm64007:
said by thebombs12:
Hmmmmm..my ZONE ALARM seems to work fine with AOL DSL.
well i dunno because aol keeps booting me off whenever i'm on aol 7.0. it did that in 6.0 as well so i'm not sure whats happening on yours.

redxii
Mod
join:2001-02-26
Michigan
Asus RT-AC3100
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2

redxii to SKYHN

Mod

to SKYHN
Try without the firewall enabled, and see if it still disconnects you. If it does, then ZA is not the problem. If it does, then I guess ZA is causing the problem.

As long as you have NetBIOS removed/disabled you aren't in any danger because through NetBIOS is how PCs are hacked.

I use Tiny Protection Firewall (TPF) and it is alot messier setting up to allow AOL without getting a message to allow it to connect to the internet.

storm64007
Premium Member
Freeport, NY

storm64007 to thebombs12

Premium Member

to thebombs12
Thebombs,I use 7.0 and never have been bumped off becouse of ZONEALARM yet.I havent tried it out on 6.0 yet but so far so good.
MysticalVortex
join:2001-08-18
Irvine, CA

MysticalVortex to SKYHN

to SKYHN
When I had 6.0, zonealarm would cause the modem to lose sync, and force me to restart the computer before i could use the internet. I found out the problem to be that Aol tries to send some tcp packets to your computer, and if your zonealarm is blocking these, it will disconnect you. I had to set my security to medium in order to make it work with AOL Plus. By just allowing tcp packets to pass to your computer, it shouldn't disconnect you.

storm64007
Premium Member
Freeport, NY

storm64007

Premium Member

said by MysticalVortex:
When I had 6.0, zonealarm would cause the modem to lose sync, and force me to restart the computer before i could use the internet. I found out the problem to be that Aol tries to send some tcp packets to your computer, and if your zonealarm is blocking these, it will disconnect you. I had to set my security to medium in order to make it work with AOL Plus. By just allowing tcp packets to pass to your computer, it shouldn't disconnect you.
I have the local set at medium and internet set at high and so far no problems.I am useing the latest version of ZONEALARM which i downloaded less then 2 weeks ago.

BHF5150
Freedom
Premium Member
join:2001-08-13
Downey, CA

BHF5150

Premium Member

quote:
I have the local set at medium and internet set at high
I have it set the same way and never had problems.

ltfarris
Farris Wheel
join:2001-08-07
Sherwood, AR

ltfarris to SKYHN

to SKYHN
Are you using the free ZoneAlarm or the ZoneAlarm Pro? I have been using the free ZoneAlarm on AOL Plus V7.0 for 6 mos. and I have never had a problem with it knocking me off line. Now, right after I sign on to AOL, I get an alert that ZoneAlarm has blocked access by a computer at an address that is an AOL address but I just ignore it. It doesn't cause any problems. Check your program listing in ZA and make sure AOL is listed with a check mark in the "allow connect" column for both the local and internet access. I suspect you could go to ZA's web site and get some help as well. I think they have a user support forum. Forgot to add, I keep my security setting on medium for local, high for internet.
[text was edited by author 2002-01-15 22:34:35]

Mick18
join:2001-04-22
San Jose, CA

Mick18

Do you need ZoneAlarm if you already have a NAT firewall from the router (Linksys BEFW11S4)? Thx.

[text was edited by author 2002-01-16 01:50:07]
Wambler
join:1999-11-03
Ambler, PA

Wambler

said by Mick1:
Do you need ZoneAlarm if you already have a NAT firewall from the router (Linksys BEFW11S4)? Thx.

Depends. How much security do you want? ZoneAlarm provides more than NAT protection. Only you can decide how much security are you comfortable with.

To me, the big question is: Did you get the router (indeed, ANY router) to work with AOL Plus DSL?

Mick18
join:2001-04-22
San Jose, CA

Mick18

quote:
To me, the big question is: Did you get the router (indeed, ANY router) to work with AOL Plus DSL?
Thanks. I took the easy way out and never dealt with the problem: i subscribed to SBC DSL and access AOL via the BYOA plan. So I had no problem networking my computers. Networking is cool, I don't have to sign in to the service anymore. the router now takes care of that. Like what they say in the movies, it keeps on getting better and better

Mokey2000
Mokey
join:2001-02-22
Dixie

Mokey2000 to SKYHN

to SKYHN
I use ZA with AOL 6.0 and do not have any problems with AOL booting me. I use Sat not Dsl don't know if this makes a difference.