how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

herb77

join:2005-02-23
Fort Myers, FL

How long do dsl filters last?

I recently got some new ones from Embarq tech support because they said the old ones were bad. I had them about 5 years and I never knew they went bad. Also I just saw some at the store and on the box they recommend replacing it every year. Sounds like BS to me. How long should they last.

DaveW9

join:2009-05-17

You should change your DSL filter every 3 months or 3000 packets, whichever comes first. All those bad electrons can gunk up your filter and not let any of the good electrons through, reducing the fuel efficiency of your modem.

Actually I don't know. But since it has no moving parts and no battery I suspect they don't "wear out", unless they had a bad batch with capacitor plague or something.

Hazy Arc

join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

I change out my network cables every month for this very reason. All those dropped packets eventually start clogging up the cable and throughput suffers.

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL
kudos:2
reply to herb77

They'll last until they get hit by lightning. You'll know.

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2
reply to herb77

Or some other power surge going through the phone lines...

Go Tarheels
Premium
join:2006-01-05
Nashville, NC
kudos:1
reply to Hazy Arc

I got the synthetic kind, so mine last 7mos/7500 packets.....

rabeatz7
Premium
join:2009-03-21
Apopka, FL
reply to herb77

Ok, so the majority of the responses here are satire, but yes, the filters can fail or go bad. As far as I know, there isn't a specific amount of time as to when or if it does fail. I wouldn't go as far as to saying "replace them every year" as that is a little bit much as far as I'm concerned. I'd say it's more.. "replace as necessary". If the old ones cause a problem, replace them. If not, leave them be. Sometimes people will even receive a faulty filter direct from the factory, it happens.

bctrainers

join:2004-08-03
Olathe, KS
reply to herb77

Last time I had to get a new filter was about a year or so ago - still stable/fast.
--
--bc

TScheisskopf
World News Trust

join:2005-02-13
Belvidere, NJ
reply to Go Tarheels

I wash mine. Run them through the dishwasher every month and let them dry outside. Sparkling clean, no waterspots to cause attenuation and packets slide through like merde through a goose.

I have also found that a little Astroglide in each filter is a big help as well. I figured that out from watching some movies on the web.

I knowZ dis' because I are a telemecommunicamations perfessional. Really. No, really.

herb77

join:2005-02-23
Fort Myers, FL
reply to rabeatz7

Thanks for posting a real answer. I agree with you.

mshultz

join:2008-12-14
Wooster, OH
reply to herb77

Now that my filters are in a cupboard, they will probably last indefinitely. When I was using a filter, I had line noise, my caller ID stopped working when the computer was on, and I would occasionally lose my DSL, requiring a reboot of the 660 box.

I bought a ADSL2 / VDSL2 Splitter with surge protection from »www.homephonewiring.com, which eliminated all of these problems.

wvcaver
Premium
join:2005-04-17
Millersburg, OH

1 edit

said by mshultz:

Now that my filters are in a cupboard, they will probably last indefinitely. When I was using a filter, I had line noise, my caller ID stopped working when the computer was on, and I would occasionally lose my DSL, requiring a reboot of the 660 box.

I bought a ADSL2 / VDSL2 Splitter with surge protection from »www.homephonewiring.com, which eliminated all of these problems.
I got 1 of these »www.wilcominc.com/Item.cfm?ProdID=102
works great with the 10 meg dsl service and it has surge suppression built in

kg4muc
Gettin It Done A Little At A Time

join:2003-02-17
Marion, VA
reply to RadioDoc

said by RadioDoc:

They'll last until they get hit by lightning. You'll know.
Or until somebody gets their foot hung in the cable and breaks the pcb joint Seen that happen a bunch of times LOL!