All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MissSherlock
join:2009-05-17
Ontario

MissSherlock

[Internet] Bell - Bandwidth Usage Monitor Incorrect?

Hi All:

I'm new to the site and wondered if anyone was having a problem with Bell's monthly measurement of bandwidth.

I've been using a bandwidth meter to monitor my usage and every month Bell appears to be out by about 10 GBs or more in their favour. Also the fact that they are 3 to 4 days behind in calculating the total usage on everyone's account.

I'm using the Performance Package which gives 60GBs per month plus I added the insurance of 30GBs. The insurance package cannot be carried forward if you don't use it.

Would like to hear from other members.

Thanks,

MissSherlock

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Welcome,

Bell admits that their "meter" can be delayed up to 60 hours:
Note: Current total Internet usage activity shown may be delayed by up to 60 hours.
Internet usage above plan shown is rounded down to the nearest 0.1 GB (100MB).

Please note that changes to your service that affect your Internet usage limit will not be reflected until we issue your next bill - Source Bell.ca

I have had my suspicions about the overall accuracy of Bell's meter, thus I checked mine and according to their records I have consumed 1.25 GB in less then 24 hours - IMHO this value is WAY out of wack (and doesn't match bandwidth usage records from my router* even if I tally up my total bandwidth for 72 hours). There also appears to be an issue of usage carry-over from the preceding month, though I don't have enough data to definitively back up that claim (Though do a search of this forum and you will see others complaining of this as well)

It is my opinion Bell may have it's fat thumb on the scale.

*5 days ago I switch my router with one that records total bandwidth (a WRT54 type router running DD-WRT) which plugs directly into the modem (a modem without wireless functions). According to my router (which unlike Bell's Bill'O'width-meter is open source and globally accepted as being accurate), I used 300MB in the last 24 hours, or 1.001GB (from May 18 – to Today).

do or dont
@mc.videotron.ca

do or dont to MissSherlock

Anon

to MissSherlock
said by MissSherlock:

Hi All:

I'm new to the site and wondered if anyone was having a problem with Bell's monthly measurement of bandwidth.

I've been using a bandwidth meter to monitor my usage and every month Bell appears to be out by about 10 GBs or more in their favour. Also the fact that they are 3 to 4 days behind in calculating the total usage on everyone's account.

I'm using the Performance Package which gives 60GBs per month plus I added the insurance of 30GBs. The insurance package cannot be carried forward if you don't use it.

Would like to hear from other members.

Thanks,

MissSherlock
Yup, yup and yup. You got it.

»Re: Bandwidth usage question.

»Bandwidth usage question.

Many people noticed Bell ripping them off.

If you are being charged extra, or if you paid for something and didn't get it, get your money back.

You can bring it to the attention of kevin.crull@bell.ca (pez prez of residential lip service)

Don't let them rip you off.

blink
@mc.videotron.ca

blink to Thane_Bitter

Anon

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

I have had my suspicions

It is my opinion Bell may have it's fat thumb on the scale.

Your suspicions have been confirmed a looong time ago.
MissSherlock
Ontario

MissSherlock

Hi Thane, do or dont and Blink:

Yes, I've been in touch with Bell Sympatico since last August with the Executive Department and just recently sent an e-mail to kevin.crull@bell.ca. The chap I was dealing with was quite surprised when he received an e-mail from kevin.crull. Up to that point it was major lip service. Of course, he credited the account but still didn't offer any solutions to the problem at their end.

The router that I have from Bell Sympatico is a 2-wire router (2701HG-G). This is the same router that I had to shut down the wireless part because someone was stealing my bandwidth last year. As soon as I shut-down the wireless part my usage dropped by over 50 percent. Bell offered no solutions or alternatives.

I'm interested in your new router that records total bandwidth and/or other ways of measuring bandwidth. As mentioned, I'm using NetMeter and it appears to be doing a good job. However, I would like something to back up those measurements so that I can argue further with Bell Sympatico Executive Office.

Re: Issue of usage carry-over from the preceding month

Yes, I've had this experience as well. I started a new month and within 24 hours the Bell Bill 'O' Meter was showing 10 GBs. Interestingly, I was 15 GBs or more below the maximum the preceding month?????!!!!

I still think the idea of limited us to less than 90 GBs is ridiculous. The Americans and Europeans have accounts that are 250GBs or more.

We always seem to get "ripped off" by the CRTC and ISPs.

Thanks,

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

The flip side of that coin is that there are some US ISPs playing around with metered billing and talking caps back in the very low GB ranges ... like under 25 GB per month for a full speed connection and at the same time charge similar rip off rates. So, don't think that we are alone in getting ripped off.

do or dont
@mc.videotron.ca

do or dont to MissSherlock

Anon

to MissSherlock
Since you have a contact from the executive lip service office in bell, Email him back and show him your are not the only one being stolen from.

Ask what they will do to prevent Bell from stealing from you next month and the month after that. Demand a reply to their stealing.

Tell them its all nice n dandy to get your money back (if ever you do), but the stealing is continuing and you want it stopped.

Lets see how they treat you...

Up to you to vocalize it though.

JGROCKY
Premium Member
join:2005-05-19
Chatham, ON

JGROCKY to MissSherlock

Premium Member

to MissSherlock
Hmm..... that's not good!

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

1 edit

andyb

Premium Member

Does thier meter work properly----no
Do they add bandwidth to the next month?----yes
Will they fix it?---Not on the agenda that I have heard and its the same meter for UBB if it ever happens.

Why not fix it?- Because it creates extra revenue without having to raise prices.

Edit:When I say prices I mean overage charges that are allready a couple thousand percent above cost.
MissSherlock
Ontario

MissSherlock

Hi Rocky, andyb and all:

I've been on the phone non-stop with the Executive of Sympatico since last August. Other than a couple of credits that's about it.

I've been reading a bit about Teksavvy and thinking of changing ISPs.

Can you use just the internet service or does the phone service go with the package????

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan
join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

AkFubar

You can just sign up for internet with Teksavvy if you wish. I would look at moving your landline phone service as well tho... much less expensive and they have a good deal on distance too. I moved both my internet and phone over to them in January, never looked back and I'm saving serious $ / month.
AkFubar

AkFubar to MissSherlock

to MissSherlock
BTW BellEr is pushing for billing based on usage you can only imagine what fun that would be with the metering system they have.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter to MissSherlock

Premium Member

to MissSherlock
said by MissSherlock:

I'm interested in your new router that records total bandwidth and/or other ways of measuring bandwidth. As mentioned, I'm using NetMeter and it appears to be doing a good job. However, I would like something to back up those measurements so that I can argue further with Bell Sympatico Executive Office.

I highly recommend the Linksys WRT54-GL which is still in production and can be both online or in store (you might have to call around different brick & mortar shops to find one as the Big Box stores rather carry the newer, more expensive and less capable models.) The key is that the router must be a WRT54-GL (the L means it will support changing the firmware to something that is better then what Linksys has).

Both Tomato (very popular with Tecksavvy Customers thanks to its support of MLPPP), and DD-WRT firmware will give you pretty, factual graphs, which you can print off and mail to the suits. Frankly Tomato is far more user friendly then DD-WRT. Perhaps if some one can post an example of tomato showing the monthly BW usage to compare?
[pic of dd-wrt's bandwidth screen]
»img116.imageshack.us/img ··· 7md6.png (no, it's not my graph )

not pretty
@mc.videotron.ca

not pretty to AkFubar

Anon

to AkFubar
said by AkFubar:

BTW BellEr is pushing for billing based on usage you can only imagine what fun that would be with the metering system they have.
TSI users won't put up with it.

If it happens these situations, as i've been saying in other topics, will fall directly in Rocky's lap.

Some say due to the way Rocky bills (ie 2-month average) it won't matter. But the new month (2nd month) still won't start at zero for many, thus they will pay (or be robbed of B/W they pay for).

I can see the regulars putting up with it for a bit, but some of the el-cheapo users (you know the ones who jump from ISP to ISP to save 1$) will bitch and drag TSI's name down.

...and the thing is (if this happens), you can't blame them.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan
join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

AkFubar

said by not pretty :
said by AkFubar:

TSI users won't put up with it.

If it happens these situations, as i've been saying in other topics, will fall directly in Rocky's lap.

Some say due to the way Rocky bills (ie 2-month average) it won't matter. But the new month (2nd month) still won't start at zero for many, thus they will pay (or be robbed of B/W they pay for).

I can see the regulars putting up with it for a bit, but some of the el-cheapo users (you know the ones who jump from ISP to ISP to save 1$) will bitch and drag TSI's name down.

...and the thing is (if this happens), you can't blame them.
You should use that crystal ball you have to pick winning lottery numbers.

why not
@mc.videotron.ca

why not

Anon

Writing is on the wall if it UBB goes ahead. Don't see why any wholesaler would be different than the B/W stealing Bell is doing as shown here in this forum.

Why would you say it would be different if Bell started billing you and tracking you B/W for TSI?

Is B/W robbery and fraudualnt B/W bills has been happening for this long to Bell's own customers, what protects any wholesale customer?

11-17-24-29-33-47
MissSherlock
Ontario

MissSherlock to Thane_Bitter

to Thane_Bitter
Hi Thane and All:

I found the Linksys WRT54-GL at TigerDirect but it says that it is for Linux?

»www.tigerdirect.ca/appli ··· 0WRT54GL

Hook up this type of modem/router and then use Tomato firmware.

Let me know if I have the correction version.

Thanks,

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

yes, however ....»ncix.com/products/?sku=1 ··· oid=1074 Not sure why NCIX has the same thing for less.
(haven't dealt with either store in a while so - check prices including shipping etc. to see which is the squarer deal)

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb to MissSherlock

Premium Member

to MissSherlock
It says linux because its an open sorce firmware on it although not totally open but can be changed.Other systems are locked and you cant do much with them.
MissSherlock
Ontario

MissSherlock

Hi Thane and andyb:

Thanks so much for the link and better pricing on the router.

In the meantime, I'm currently using NetMeter to measure my bandwidth.

What other bandwidth meters are there that are fairly accurate?
impalass1369
join:2007-09-11
Mercier, QC

1 edit

impalass1369

numion.com
Sorry wrong one.
www.rokario.com
MissSherlock
Ontario

MissSherlock

Hi impalas1369, Thane and all:

Many thanks for the link.

Well, I've been in touch with TechSavvy and Ma Bell is going to be out-the-door very soon.

I have a contract with Bell for my Internet Performance Package. The cancellation fee is about $100.00 and 30 days notice. Of course, I will make a case to Head Office/Executive to waive the fee.

I've wasted far too much time in trying to deal with Bell. It is ridiculous that we have to spend so much time measuring our bandwidth every month and then getting ripped off for incorrect measuring, carrying forward GBs from previous month, etc.

For thirty bucks I can get 200GBs and worry free.

Question about router/modem: they recommend a Speedtouch 585? I know nothing about routers/modems except how to plug it in?

Truly appreciate all the terrific advice,

MissSherlock
marshals
join:2001-11-14
Mcgregor, ON

marshals to MissSherlock

to MissSherlock
I did a little checking on mine too.. I know I haven't done much at all since the rollover(bandwidth restart).. so I looked.. check out the picture attachments. My rollover is on the 19th. way over the 60 hours away. The first is from the modem, second is from bell's myinternet site (check bandwidth usage link)

Some how they got me using almost 12GB worth and the modem shows just about 2G. odd.

Deadpool0
Go Sens Go
Premium Member
join:2001-03-29
Canada

Deadpool0

Premium Member

said by marshals:

I did a little checking on mine too.. I know I haven't done much at all since the rollover(bandwidth restart).. so I looked.. check out the picture attachments. My rollover is on the 19th. way over the 60 hours away. The first is from the modem, second is from bell's myinternet site (check bandwidth usage link)

Some how they got me using almost 12GB worth and the modem shows just about 2G. odd.
That 'Transmit and Receive Data' is based on current modem uptime since you last rebooted.

Based on the 'Data Errors' below, I'd say about 8 and half days.

Not an apples to apples comparison.
scubascythan
join:2005-05-14

scubascythan to MissSherlock

to MissSherlock
If you're using a program running on your PC/laptop to monitor bandwidth, you're getting inaccurate results and need to use a router to monitor it.

For example, I've used Netlimiter on my PC to monitor my bandwidth, as well as Tomato on the router. When I download through newsgroups, although netlimiter shows a small upload of about 10kB/s, the router shows a high overhead of 50kB/s. Over a month period this translates from a claimed 400MB upload to a 2GB upload, and this is just one of the many examples I've seen huge discrepancies. (BTW the PC is the only one connected to the router.)
marshals
Mcgregor, ON

marshals to Deadpool0

to Deadpool0
The point of that was.. my modem has been on for 8 days and i've only used a combined bandwidth of just about 2.4G. By the post date on my reply.. rollover was 4-5 days ago. Modem says I used about 2.4G in 8 days. while in reality in 5 days.. your site says I've used 11G or so. So you se what I'm trying to get at?
marshals

marshals to scubascythan

to scubascythan
scubascythan, yea, I've replaced my linksys router that I had before (befsr41 v2) with a wrt54g v6 (ick! but it works ) (wireless disabled) about 2 weeks ago and flashed it with dd-wrt 24 sp1.. I'm also looking at the bandwidth charts from that too.. that a lil closer. So we'll see. I did this a day before the rollover date for the bandwidth change over. I'm curious to see how things turn out.

Deadpool0
Go Sens Go
Premium Member
join:2001-03-29
Canada

Deadpool0 to marshals

Premium Member

to marshals
said by marshals:

The point of that was.. my modem has been on for 8 days and i've only used a combined bandwidth of just about 2.4G. By the post date on my reply.. rollover was 4-5 days ago. Modem says I used about 2.4G in 8 days. while in reality in 5 days.. your site says I've used 11G or so. So you se what I'm trying to get at?
My point remains that you're comparing "live" data to what could be up to 60 hours delayed - which is a rolling 60 hours and always in effect.

I also don't believe the 19th of every month is an actual billing date - I'd have to check to confirm but I recall Bell always using even numbered dates.

round n round
@mc.videotron.ca

round n round

Anon

His point remains that he may not be getting what he is paying for regardless what Bell tracker has to say 3 days later.

In fact at certain times through out the year he could be paying more.

This also brings into question B/W usage on cells and texting usage, and every usage since Bell can't track without huge delays of 3 days.

In fact Bell may very well be reaping very huge overage fee's from people and people don't even know and are not aware.

This is in addition to the faulty Email alert tracker Bell has.

Even if you harp on his mix up of billing dates, this does not negate the fact Bell is gouging people in overusage fee's.

There are many topics on this in this forum and Bell's own forum going back more than a year.
marshals
Mcgregor, ON

marshals to Deadpool0

to Deadpool0
Ok so, lets say.. 60 hours delay (3 days).. k. Now instead of 5 days and 11G usage.. its 2 days and 11G usage. That 11G usage was taken directly from the bell usage page on the 24th. The modem itself goes back "8 days" and its total usage is only 2.4G. Unless someone is hitting my modem via snmp and resetting values, but why would that happen?

I do see something funny here or am I like totally missing something?