how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kushiro

join:2009-02-16
Niagara Falls, ON

Cogeco gives us an increase

Well, it finally happened. Cogeco has listened to our complaints and is giving us an increase.

Unfortunately, it's a rate increase.

Just got the letter today -- as of July 16, the Standard package is going up from $52.95 to $54.95 (the bundled price is going up $1 to $5.95). The Pro accounts are also going up, by about 7 bucks. Luckily for us, they didn't want to introduce too much change at once, so they didn't raise our caps.

Can anyone tell me if the Business Starter plan price is also going up? It's looking more attractive all the time.

dad_of_3

join:2004-05-31
SE Ontario
This has to be some kind of sick joke.........

Gixxer

join:2008-08-27
St Catharines, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Bell Fibe
reply to kushiro
Cogeco has to raise money somehow for that **** up in Portugal. Seems the Portuguese won't pay for high prices, UBB and low caps, plus there's a little competition there so Cogeco can't dick them around.
--
I love fish sticks. I love putting fish sticks in my mouth.

Gruesome

join:2007-10-18
Milton, ON
reply to kushiro
Bend over Cogeco subscribers, Cogeco has an increase for you...

wow

@ADSL.akn.ca
reply to kushiro
wow. a price increase and ubb. they are really screwing all of you this year eh. ha.

spthomas5
The Swedish Chef

join:2002-12-05
L7S6X1
reply to kushiro
I never thought I'd say it, but I miss having Rogers. Time to move as much off Cogeco as possible!
--
Soorffeeng zee veb oon med technulugy ell dey lung!

HoboJ

join:2008-03-27
Cornwall, ON
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to kushiro
Pro is going up $7?!?! Holy shit that brings it over $80 before taxes. This is ridiculous.

Well then I guess it's goodbye cogeco. This is the last straw.

xeroid2

join:2009-01-22
Kingston, ON

1 edit
reply to kushiro
Just spoke to a Cogeco Rep and it is confirmed ... rates are going UP.

SICK ... I will be voting with my wallet !

Gixxer

join:2008-08-27
St Catharines, ON
kudos:4
reply to kushiro
It's going to be a great year for DSL // Tek Savvy.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
reply to kushiro
Anyone know if there are changes to commercial plans?

What about Cogeco's other packages, like their phone services?

mousky

join:2004-02-12
Windsor, ON
reply to kushiro
Ain't lack of competition great? What does the letter blame this increase on?

diskdocx

join:2005-09-26
Burlington, ON
reply to kushiro
Why does Cogeco hate us Pro users so much?

Highest monthly base charge, huge rate increase (~10%), highest overage charge.

Guess the UBB is working well at driving out those 'abusive' customers.

If I can't convince the wife to give up her .ca email address, I will be downloading to lite and adding TekSavvy at whatever speed.

MS in Cobourg

@cgocable.net
On top of the above (and it's not Cogeco's fault this time), internet service rates will go up another 8% when the Ontario government harmonizes its PST with the GST. For some strange reason, internet service isn't subject to PST, although cable TV and phone service are.

metrotitan

join:2008-11-21
reply to kushiro
Wow! Thanks for the update! Unbelievable.

Hamilton1

join:2007-10-28
Hamilton, ON
reply to MS in Cobourg
said by MS in Cobourg :

On top of the above (and it's not Cogeco's fault this time), internet service rates will go up another 8% when the Ontario government harmonizes its PST with the GST. For some strange reason, internet service isn't subject to PST, although cable TV and phone service are.
Why will it make a difference we already pay GST and PST on our bill now, the only thing that will change is instead of it being 2 separate listed items it will now be one Harmonized item.

Take a look at your statement under "details of current charges" and you should see both GST and PST listed.

javanox6

join:2004-02-05
nob2ko
reply to kushiro
i am so happy i said to cogeco have a nice life i cant aford you peacee and disconnection happend in june wooottt i ma save my self 50 dollers per month

SuperCM

join:2005-03-08
reply to Hamilton1
said by Hamilton1:

Why will it make a difference we already pay GST and PST on our bill now, the only thing that will change is instead of it being 2 separate listed items it will now be one Harmonized item.

Take a look at your statement under "details of current charges" and you should see both GST and PST listed.
It would make a difference because there are certain items that are exempt from PST, so combing PST and GST into HST will void those exemptions.

Take your bill and actually calculate the PST and GST, you will see that PST is not what it should be and that's because Internet Service is PST exempt.

This was done back when the Internet was gaining traction and the province believed by making it exempt and thus a bit cheaper it would help with mass adoption.

Hamilton1

join:2007-10-28
Hamilton, ON
Wow didn't realize that Oh well thanks for making my day.

Gruesome

join:2007-10-18
Milton, ON
reply to mousky
said by mousky:

Ain't lack of competition great? What does the letter blame this increase on?
Its to improve your overall experience
lmao

dazium

join:2007-02-24
Windsor, ON

1 recommendation

reply to kushiro
beside me i have a jar of vasoline and my cogeco bill

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
said by dazium:

beside me i have a jar of vasoline and my cogeco bill
sounds like a good time

i put on my robe and wizard hat

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

Anyone know if there are changes to commercial plans?
I haven't seen any notification (on Soho), however, I'm on a 12-month contract rate (89.95) so I'm assuming that if they were going to raise the rate it would be at the end of my contract date (Nov).

Enough Already

@blutmagie.de
reply to kushiro
Everybody should speak with their money and switch. This monopoly continually raises prices with no service gains for the consumer. Despite overwhelming opposition, they greedily keep the caps unrealistically low(and now punish us for going 1gig over.) If they ever wisen up and start giving their customers fairly priced packages, I may return. It's doubtful though. Once I switch companies, I tend to stay loyal to them (as I have been with Cogeco for ALL these years.) In the words of the great Woody Guthrie "So long, it's been good to know ya." I just looked into it, and it looks like I'm going to save $20 a month and have 3x the CAP limits with tech savvy. Woot, that's just what I need in this troubling economy, not unnecessary increases and penalties. I can live with the speed differences.

EdG

@eastlink.ca
reply to kushiro
Wow - what blatant disregard for their customers.

Talk about living in an ivory tower, with no clues whatsoever. I really hope they have customers flock away in the thousands today.

bobcatt

@cgocable.net
reply to kushiro
this is unreal. theres no DSL on my street yet...i have no choice but to keep cogeco but im DROPPING them the second i can

i hope everyone does the same.. call and bitch,,i did once but i will do it again cause of this new news....they dont care...they dont do anything for there customers..this i know first hand..in more ways then one too.

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
kudos:1
reply to kushiro
So I'll be dropping Cogeco the second anything close comes into town. This is outrageous.

Celery

join:2004-01-19
St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·ikTel Networks
reply to kushiro
I'm in the same boat as diskdocx See Profile. Gotta convince the wife to switch to Gmail and give up the cogeco.ca email address. I'm 10 minutes walk away from downtown St. Kitts (near the Armoury) and apparently the CO is on King St.

Does anyone know if this increase is also affecting the multiple services discount?

Barry

join:2008-11-04
Burlington, ON
reply to kushiro
Talk about adding insult to injury. I can't believe they are doing this after adding UBB. The least they could do is raise the bandwidth limit to match their competitors...oh wait, there isn't any.

SuperCM

join:2005-03-08
reply to Celery
said by Celery See Profile
Does anyone know if this increase is also affecting the multiple services discount?
[/BQUOTE :

From what I remember, the brochures didn't discount TV services. You would need TV to gain discounts on the other services like the Internet and Phone.

If you have all 3 and drop Internet, you would still receive some discount on the Phone because you have TV, but not as much as before.

day dreaming

@cgocable.net
Check out the speeds the Americans are getting on some of their new services in this thread.
What do we get, a price increase.

»Ultra Speed Tests and Installation Reviews ONLY