SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Has anyone used Timbertech decking

I'm redoing my deck and plan on using Timbertech decking on it. »www.timbertech.com/products/deck···ult.aspx

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this product. I've built one deck with Fiberon, this stuff looks better.

So far, I've learned, it's harder to rip one apart than put one up.
It cost about 3 times as much. I've done a heat test and the one we're looking at doesn't get any hotter than wood.

--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

"I'm tellin' you, man, every third blink is slower" - Fillmore

Korro

join:2008-03-15
Pittsburgh, PA

WOW that deck is in bad shape!

Here is how I look at it. WOOD IS STILL GOOD!

you have to consider the situation. If you are planning on living there for a long time then putting synthetic wood decking on is good...however if you do not plan on living there that long...save your self some money and stay wood.

It is all about the cost and maintence benefits vs the Synthetic.

I personally think a Synthetic deck looks synthetic.

Just my 2 cents worth!

herdfan
Premium
join:2003-01-25
Hurricane, WV
reply to SparkChaser

Depending on how good of shape and the age of the joists, you might be better off starting from scratch.

As for the Timbertech, I have not used it, but am in the process of replacing my deck with Trex. And yes, it does look synthetic, but it is near a pool and kids were getting too many splinters.

Every couple of months I get a 10% off coupon from HD and go in and buy up to the limit of the discount. Plus they recently dropped the price by 10%. Stuff is not cheap, but once it is done, I should not have to worry about it again.

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Thanks for the reply. The structure is in surprisingly good condition. I may choose to replace a few pieces.

I looked at Trex and it's a matter of being over ruled by the aesthetics committee. (wife ) These colors are better for our house I like your 10% plan. Good Idea!!!

Korro not logged

@verizon.net
reply to SparkChaser

So you are not tearing everything down and starting over? Hmm to me does the left side seem kind of bowed? Or is that just the camera??

If you are just top coating then...why not use the synthetic stuff.

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Korro not logged :

So you are not tearing everything down and starting over? Hmm to me does the left side seem kind of bowed? Or is that just the camera??

If you are just top coating then...why not use the synthetic stuff.
That's the camera, everything is straight

The order had been given to use the composite by my supervisor. It was the particular manufacturer I was wondering about. The reason to consider wood is that it's a whole lot cheaper but I've been overruled. AGAIN
--

jr92gp

join:2001-09-14
Richmond, VA
reply to SparkChaser

Have fun drilling pilot holes and presinking for the screws.

Grab one of these - itll make your life alot easier with the drilling and driving: »www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto···4+524418

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2

Anyone who cant see that product can use 12345 as a zip code.

Homedepot checks availability based on zip code.
--
Striving for Parfection.

herdfan
Premium
Hurricane, WV
reply to jr92gp

said by jr92gp:

Have fun drilling pilot holes and presinking for the screws.
Definitely drill pilot holes. I took a drywall square and drilled holes in the center of it (won't affect its use as a drywall square) for both the current board and the one beside it. So all I have to do is pull it tight against the current board and move it until I see the last course screws in the holes and then I know I am lined up.

Also, I made some spacer shims from both 1/4" and 1/8" hardboard for proper spacing. I cut the 1/4" in "U" shapes so the can sit on the joist. Check the Timbertech installation guides for proper spacing.

Also, don't buy the composite deck screws that HD has. My "tan" ones turned pink after one year so I replaced them with the "tan" ones from Lowes. No need to countersink if using compsite screws.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to SparkChaser

TimberTech is one of the better products out there IMO. I've only built 1 deck with it so far. I like the hidden fastener system. It's a much better quality product than Trex. I keep some samples to give customers an example of the quality.

--
Prevent Malware

jr92gp

join:2001-09-14
Richmond, VA
reply to herdfan

That attachment for a drill in the link I provided will counterstink automatically. It's very convenient to use regardless of whether or not you are going to countersink. Pull the lock up and flip it over or stick your phillips bit in and you're not constantly loosening your chuck, or having to have 2 drills.

We countersunk on the only job we ever used composite boards for...a dock on the chesapeake bay.

dagobah57

@optonline.net

2 edits
reply to SparkChaser

My neighbor tried Timbertech, and it seemed to do the trick. I personally prefer trex. there's an article on this site that compares the two with plusses and negatives.

[removed -Dennis]

Hope it helps...

[I didn't find any specific link on that site to an article regarding the original topic of this thread. In fact it just comes across as another useless spammy site. If somehow I missed the link please feel free to repost a DIRECT link instead of some vague main page one - Dennis]

pro7070
BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
Premium
join:2002-06-28
Inman, SC
kudos:1
reply to SparkChaser

I've seen Trex built decks and I think they look and feel great. One of the largest Log Cabin Home builders (Blue Ridge Log Cabins) built their on site showcase home decks using this stuff. I also seen it on high end homes around here. Looks really good to me. But $40 for a 16' piece? Ouch. How much is this Timbertech?

Sir Meowmix III

@205.255.240.x
reply to SparkChaser

Be careful, some of the composite deck was recently recalled by the CPSC

»www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prht···217.html

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to dolphins

said by dolphins:

TimberTech is one of the better products out there IMO. I've only built 1 deck with it so far. I like the hidden fastener system. It's a much better quality product than Trex. I keep some samples to give customers an example of the quality.
Sorry for the late response, for some reason I didn't see it. Thanks for the comments. I was looking at hidden fasteners. The price is a bit *cough* high but I do like the look. I thought Timbertech looked better than Trex but I don't have any experience with either so it was just a visual judgment.
--

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to dagobah57

said by dagobah57 :

My neighbor tried Timbertech, and it seemed to do the trick. I personally prefer trex. there's an article on this site that compares the two with plusses and negatives.

[removed -Dennis]

Hope it helps...
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

said by pro7070:

I've seen Trex built decks and I think they look and feel great. One of the largest Log Cabin Home builders (Blue Ridge Log Cabins) built their on site showcase home decks using this stuff. I also seen it on high end homes around here. Looks really good to me. But $40 for a 16' piece? Ouch. How much is this Timbertech?
Timbertech is in that same balpark as Trex. It depends on style, type, etc. Yeah, it's not cheap
-
-
--

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast

Unless Trex has changed their product in the last few years it is far below TimberTech quality. My experience with Trex is that it is basically paper pulp compressed and injected with plastic. The boards are easy to break and the color fades after a short period of time. I've also heard of mold problems with Trex after the finish wears away but have not seen it myself.
--
Prevent Malware

herdfan
Premium
Hurricane, WV

1 recommendation

said by dolphins:

the color fades after a short period of time. I've also heard of mold problems with Trex after the finish wears away but have not seen it myself.
Trex "weathers" to a final color. They have weathered samples available to allow customers to be able to determine if a color is right for them.

Here is Trex's mold bulletin: »www.trex.com/technicalinfo/mold.aspx

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04
reply to SparkChaser

I'll be able to answer this question in a few months. Our townhouse development is replacing all the decks. The default is wood, with an extra-cost upgrade to Timbertech. I'll be going for the upgrade.

Thanks for the above info on mold. Part of our deck is in the shade all year at all times of the day, so mold has been a continuing problem. Hopefully, it will be easier to clean the Timbertech.
--
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

herdfan
Premium
Hurricane, WV
reply to SparkChaser

One other helpful hint I can think of is that if you plan on having staggered joints, plan them ahead of time and sister a joist beside the ones where the joints are going to fall. This way the decking has a full board width to land on and you will be able to keep the screws (unless you are using hidden fasteners) back from the edge and vertical.

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
reply to SparkChaser

We put in this TT deck in the fall.
»New Deck

We did not use the hidden fasteners, used ring nails shot in.
After the winter there was some light stains from some flower pots and the BBQ. I gave it a qiuck wask with the pressure washer and it looks like new again.

I have a cement fiber mat for under the BBQ and the fire pit.
I have had wood decks in the past,cedar and PT wood. I like this so much more than those.
--
I'm not as good as I once was
but I'm as good once
as i ever was.

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

said by PoloDude:

We put in this TT deck in the fall.
»New Deck
Thanks for that, it looks great.

What was the reason you used nails instead of the hidden fasteners or screws?

I just pulled out about 1300 ring nails on the old deck

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY

We used nails because of the much smaller head and they hold just as well, the ringed ones anyway. The bump left from the nail is very small as compared to the screw head.
As for taking it apart, we will sell the house long before the deck needs to be replaced.

herdfan
Premium
Hurricane, WV

1 recommendation

reply to SparkChaser

said by SparkChaser:

I just pulled out about 1300 ring nails on the old deck
Then you might want to consider this product: »www.na.graceconstruction.com/Win···pg_5.pdf

It will seal the joists and help them last longer.

best builder

@embarqhsd.net
reply to SparkChaser

yes. but I would not use it in Fl.. I have a 2500 square foot deck in Fl .. that is creating it's own shape.. bowed, twisted and cracked...was told by the rep that it was because we did not have open sides for air movement.. does not make sence to me .. we have five feet of air space below this deck.. I will have to replace it and will be using pressure treated wood after air drying for 60 days and staining all four side prior to installtion.