Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hawkeye_wx

join:2009-01-07
Cedar Rapids, IA
reply to wth

Re: Channel Lineup Changes & Additions

I just saw an ad on tv that I think said July 7th is the date some analog channels will be moved and new HD channels will be available here in Cedar Rapids.

threexk

join:2009-01-13

1 edit

Beginning July 7 and ending July 10 for Iowa City/Coralville, according to this PDF a CSR just e-mailed me.

I will report the line-up error to TiVo tonight, in hopes they'll fix it back until the new date:
»www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/con···ool.html

IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

1 edit
reply to wth

Does anyone know when the Marshalltown/Newton/Grinnell Area will have analog channels change?
Our line up is odd as we get both the DSM & the CR affiliates and I would assume ours is different. What would we get for new channels?

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by IowaMan:

Our line up is odd as we get both the DSM & the CR affiliates
Not really. There's markets in NE IA that get channels from IA & Madison. And also in SE IA along the river they get IA & ILL channels.

garn91

join:2005-01-15
Ankeny, IA
reply to IowaMan

said by IowaMan:

Does anyone know when the Marshalltown/Newton/Grinnell Area will have analog channels change?
Our line up is odd as we get both the DSM & the CR affiliates and I would assume ours is different. What would we get for new channels?
Western Iowa has both Omaha & Des Moines local affilates, why I have no idea as SW Iowa isn't even in the Des Moines DMA. Just a waste of bandwith if you ask me.

HawkeyeKev

@netexpress.net
reply to wth

Any word on these channels (or any new channels) in the Quad City area?

cool318

@mchsi.com
reply to wth

Just got the new HD channels on the date they said the would show up!

still no BTNHD

which i dont see why indiana can't have the BTN

hockaye

@uifoundation.org
reply to wth

Rescanned the channels last night here in I.C. on my Olevia with clear QAM tuner and am not seeing anything in the 800 range. Perhaps it's still too early?

clone73

join:2009-02-02
Iowa City, IA

said by hockaye :

Rescanned the channels last night here in I.C. on my Olevia with clear QAM tuner and am not seeing anything in the 800 range. Perhaps it's still too early?
I'm also in Iowa City. Channels 51-56 made the move but I'm not getting any of the new digital basic or HD channels. I called customer service. Their response? "They should be there. I don't know what to do to help you."

hawkeye_wx

Cedar Rapids, IA

1 edit
reply to wth

Ditto here in Cedar Rapids. The channels in the low 50s have moved, but none of the new HD channels are available.

I do have an HD box.

Bierboy

join:2008-08-07
East Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

2 edits
reply to hockaye

said by hockaye :

You're not going to see anything but your local channels in HD in the clear unless you have an HD box. What they're saying at the bottom of that ad is technically true but, the way that ad is laid out, they make it appear that you will get all those HD channels with a clear QAM tuner. A TV with a clear QAM tuner will NOT pickup those channels (other than your locals) in HD.

nicheplayer

join:2008-02-15
Iowa City, IA

You're not going to see anything but your local channels in HD in the clear unless you have an HD box.
If true, that is bullshit.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2

1 edit

Let me repeat myself

These channels are free as in no additional programming fee is required to get them, however they are not clear QAM meaning they are scrambled. So in order to get these channels you need to

1 rent a cable card if you have a cable card ready device
2 rent a HD receiver

Your HDTV with a built in HD tuner will only pick up your local HD channels (depending on the signal and if not Mediacom will provide no support).

These channels are part of HD Family programming and were never advertised to be clear QAM.

Channels up to 123 will be clear QAM eventually or at least that's what I was told.

nicheplayer

Iowa City, IA

These channels are free as in no additional programming fee is required to get them...
Ah. *That* kind of free. Gotcha.

Your HDTV with a built in HD tuner will only pick up your local HD channels (depending on the signal and if not Mediacom will provide no support).
Yes. Why would a built-in *HD tuner* in an *HDTV* have any trouble receiving my cable provider's HD programming? I'm sure I have no idea.

clone73

Iowa City, IA
reply to Anonymous

said by Anonymous:

Let me repeat myself

These channels are free as in no additional programming fee is required to get them, however they are not clear QAM meaning they are scrambled. So in order to get these channels you need to

1 rent a cable card if you have a cable card ready device
2 rent a HD receiver

These channels are part of HD Family programming and were never advertised to be clear QAM.

Channels up to 123 will be clear QAM eventually or at least that's what I was told.
I have a Mediacom HD DVR and the new channels are still not coming through.

Bierboy

East Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to nicheplayer

said by nicheplayer:

Yes. Why would a built-in *HD tuner* in an *HDTV* have any trouble receiving my cable provider's HD programming? I'm sure I have no idea.
Because, as mentioned several times already, you need to have a CableCARD device or your cable provider's HD box to unscramble them (other than the clear QAM locals).

wth
Premium
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Cableman32

said by Cableman32:

Yes, next month they will begin putting all of the family cable tier in the clear.
Reading this would indicate to me that all the family cable channels & HD channels will be "clear" and viewable with a HDTV with qam tuner, and no box.

Bierboy

East Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by wth:

said by Cableman32:

Yes, next month they will begin putting all of the family cable tier in the clear.
Reading this would indicate to me that all the family cable channels & HD channels will be "clear" and viewable with a HDTV with qam tuner, and no box.
And that would be patently wrong.

nicheplayer

Iowa City, IA
reply to Bierboy

said by Bierboy See Profile
Because, as mentioned several times already, you need to have a CableCARD device or your cable provider's HD box to unscramble them (other than the clear QAM locals).
[/BQUOTE :

When life was analog, I had a cable package that prevented me from receiving HBO, Spice, etc. This didn't seem to be a problem on MC's end. Do you have a link that explains the technical difficulties involved in digital transmission that prevent me from seeing channels I'm not supposed to get while still seeing the channels I'm paying for? Thanks in advance!

wth
Premium
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to wth

said by wth:

said by Cableman32:

Let me restate the part "& HD channels" to read "Family cable HD channels", as there's really no reason to scramble the "family cable" digital channels, inculding the family cable HD channels. Ask your self this question: Mediacom didn't scramble the analog family cable channels, so why scramble the digital family cable channels?

basenji

join:2006-11-02
Waconia, MN

They scramble the digital because traps can't take out all the family cable digital. HSD only customers could have the HSD trap on and still hook a QAM tv and get most of the channels. As I have said before, it is a control tool.

Unless things change with where the channels are located or the traps we have, family will always be scrambled. This is only my opinion, not a company policy or any inside knowledge, so take it for what it is worth.

Cableman32

join:2007-10-05
Florida, NY
kudos:1
reply to wth

Ok, so I guess i wasn't clear that only the Family SD channels will be unencrypted. The family cable SD digital will be moved into the trap area, but there currently isn't the bandwidth available to also move the family cable HD channels into the trapped area.... that is until more analog is removed.

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
reply to wth

Let me restate the part "& HD channels" to read "Family cable HD channels", as there's really no reason to scramble the "family cable" digital channels, inculding the family cable HD channels. Ask your self this question: Mediacom didn't scramble the analog family cable channels, so why scramble the digital family cable channels?
Well, maybe they want to make more money with the value-added service of providing HD? Or maybe technically they can't do it yet due to lack of bandwidth in the clear (non-trapped) spectrum?

I'm sure it costs money for Mediacom to receive both the HD and SD versions of programming. Or money to convert the HD signal to the SD version for Family cable. Mediacom is entitled to get that paid for by subscribers.

Also, you mustn't forget that we are also dealing with franchise agreements with communities about what goes into program tiers. The FCC only dictates what must happen with the basic tier, and the "must carry" declaration by a local broadcaster only applies, IIRC, to the primary "channel". As the digital conversion continues, I expect to see franchise agreements, as they get renegotiated, to try to include more HD and clearQAM as they can. That will all take time, and Mediacom will stage it in a way that hopefully doesn't have them loose customers along the way or quality of service.

nicheplayer

Iowa City, IA
reply to wth

I guess my bottom line is, I'll be damned if I'm going to rent a box from MC when I have an HDTV sitting here. Knowing MC, I'll just have to live with the fact that I'm paying for stuff they're not letting me see. TV rots your brain, anyway.

k9iua6

Dubuque, IA

said by nicheplayer:

I guess my bottom line is, I'll be damned if I'm going to rent a box from MC when I have an HDTV sitting here. Knowing MC, I'll just have to live with the fact that I'm paying for stuff they're not letting me see. TV rots your brain, anyway.
Well, as one who doesn't have an HDTV yet, I would probably feel the same way you do. At least with respect to the local broadcast stations. Lacking the money or the clear need to buy an HDTV yet, I probably won't buy one until I know what shakes out with HD, the different programming tiers, and the progressive shift to digital television.

In the meantime, as a Family-only subscriber with only 4:3 analog televisions, my bigger beef and anxiety with both broadcasters and Mediacom is with letterbox vs. center-cut cropping more than I am with Mediacom about what programming is in the Family tier and whether it is clearQAM. (My preference is letterbox for everything, as it drives me ballistic to see text cut off by center-cut cropping, but that is the subject for a different thread.) But I understand your concern, and am watching this progression very closely.

IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA
reply to basenji

Before I got broadcast basic (cause I wanted everything to go through the house) I hooked up a TV and I recieved the 60's 70's on analog but now that I have a proper setup I only get the 70's channels. Why?

k9iua6

Dubuque, IA

As was mentioned in another discussion thread, the trap that Mediacom puts on your line for basic broadcast only, which is a low-pass filter, does not entirely trap effectively the frequencies above the cutoff. The effectiveness drops for a range of frequencies that correspond to that range of channels, with the signal strength getting through sufficient for some reception.

clone73

Iowa City, IA
reply to wth

I just spoke with customer service again and the upgrade in Iowa City is not done. I guess the July 7th date wasn't a deadline like the letter stated. I'm sure the due date on my bill would not be treated with the same casual attitude.

hawkeye_wx

Cedar Rapids, IA
reply to wth

Fox News HD and Lifetime HD have just been added to Cedar Rapids' Mediacom service. No Big Ten, Discovery, TLC, or Animal Planet, yet.

idjohnston

join:2004-02-09
Sacramento, CA
reply to wth

This is the digital lineup tuned directly from a digital ready television on Mediacom in Iowa City, IA. (As of 7-07-2009)

1-1 CSPAN
51-1 HALLMARK
51-3 LMN
51-5 ABC FAM
51-7 COMEDY CENTRAL
51-11 DISCOVERY
51-13 FOX NEWS
51-15 TCM
51-19 TLC
51-21 WE TV
51-25 BIG TEN
52-1 FX
52-5 E!
52-7 VERSUS
52-9 SPEED
52-11 UNIVISION
52-13 BET
52-15 BRAVO
52-17 CNBC
52-19 ANIMAL PLANET
52-21 USA
52-23 TRAVEL
53-1 CNN
53-3 HEADLINE NEWS
53-5 CARTOON NETWORK
53-7 TBS
53-9 TNT
53-11 SPIKE
53-13 TV LAND
53-15 CMT
53-17 MTV
53-19 NICK
53-21 MSNBC
53-23 tru TV
54-1 FOOD
54-3 HGTV
54-7 DISNEY
54-11 A&E
54-13 HISTORY
54-15 VH1
54-17 LIFETIME
54-21 SCI-FI (SY FY?)
54-23 AMC
55-5 ESPN
55-13 ESPN2
55-15 COMCAST SPORTS
55-19 WEATHER
55-27 NAT GEO
56-1 FIT TV
56-5 SOAP
56-9 OXYGEN
82-1 QVC
82-3 CSPAN
82-5 CHRISTIAN PROGRAMMING
82-7 WWF?
82-9 SHOP NBC
82-11 CHRISTIAN PROGRAMMING
82-13 CSPAN3
82-15 CHRISTIAN PROGRAMMING
82-17 CHRISTIAN PROGRAMMING
82-19 CHRISTIAN PROGRAMMING
82-21 CSPAN2
82-23 HSN
89-4 IPTV
99-4 KFXA (FOX) SD
99-6 KCRG (ABC) SD
99-8 CW
99-9
99-10 KGAN (CBS) SD
99-12 KWWL (NBC) SD
99-14 KWWF
99-16 CHRISTIAN PROGRAMMING
99-18 IPTV
99-20
114-1 KWWL (NBC) HD
114-2 THIS
114-3 RTV
114-6 KGAN (CBS) HD
115-2 KCRG (ABC) HD
115-4 KFXA (FOX) HD
115-6 KCRG-2
119-2 ION

There are more, but this is the gist of it. Don't come crying to me because I left out your favorite city council meeting channel... I had to write this by hand because Mediacom doesn't publish this anywhere.