spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Pamela

@rr.com

Boosting WiFi through concrete walls..

I have one and a half story building (one story in the front/two story in the back). The router and two main computers (hard wired) are upstairs. I have three laptops that are wireless.

Here is the problem: I have a desktop computer that is in the farthest part of the front of the house in the one story section. The one story section is older and is built out of concrete walls (inside and outside walls). Therefore, I cannot get an adequate signal to the desktop with the WiFi.

I have read that you cannot run Cat5 cables outside which is the easiest way because the first floor does not have any attic space (it is a flat roof).

Would an antenna booster work or do I need another router connected to the first?

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium
join:2002-06-18
use powerline networking products to get around this issue then ethernet / wireless afterwords

ex bell

@cgocable.net
reply to Pamela
I just did one this weekend just like yours. They had a split level with concrete walls on the lower level.
The extensive re-bar stopped all their attempts at multiple wifi applications and boosters. Nothing seemed to work.
We ended up running cat. 5 from the Cogeco modem and router at the opposite side of the house.
It took half a day hundreds of dollars but we were lucky and found a good route with no wire showing.
A speed test in the new office yielded 7.8 meg. There is cat.5 outdoor available. I have some on the truck but I don't know where you can get it.

Paranoic

join:2009-01-06
Hamilton, ON
reply to Pamela
You Can buy Cat 5 outdoor one in Home Depot etc .. Yes they have it for sure ...

I don't see why you can't have wifi ... in Concrete building .. Just buy good antenna ... I mean good one not those sticks from FS or BB they are good for small office ... You have some nice Yagi, Panel antenna on Ebay .. or you can do some BiQuad on your own .. And I Guarantee that you will have enough signal

»shop.ebay.ca/?_from=R40&_trksid=···tegories

Mr_Fix_It
Premium
join:2009-03-01
Barrie, ON
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Pamela
Its very expensive but a product called Radiax cable can also be used depending on the needs of the building.
The cable itself is the antenna.
Its used for cell networks to secure bank area's for communications of all sorts.
1 line can be used to service an entire floor of a condo.

»www.antennasystems.com/Radiax.html

edited with another link.

»awapps.commscope.com/catalog/and···log.aspx

This was also posted to catch some else's eye.

Turbinator

join:2007-10-14
Mississauga, ON
reply to Paranoic
said by Paranoic:

You Can buy Cat 5 outdoor one in Home Depot etc .. Yes they have it for sure ...
What if it gets hit by lightning? poor router...

zadigre

join:2006-10-02
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
said by Turbinator:

said by Paranoic:

no problem for this...

if the cable is just outside, going into the ground or "sticked" to your house, no lightning will reach your cable... it will hit something before...

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium
reply to Turbinator
said by Turbinator:

said by Paranoic:

if your that worried you can ground it for $5

shepd

join:2004-01-17
Kitchener, ON
reply to Pamela
You can install another wireless router *just* on the other side of the wall and use it as a repeater, if you want to stick with all wireless. Some routers have this feature built into the firmware (for some reason 3com comes to mind). Or, you can use a router with a linux-compatible chipset:

»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Un···Repeater

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium

1 edit
the issue with 3com is that they are very $$$, and you wont get a return on your investment. off the shelf routers tend to have more updates then 3com do....

but of course you can always make the argument that 3coms are more stable yadda yadda..., personally i use 3coms for my own networks but if i was to build it for someone i wouldn't go that route.

Paranoic

join:2009-01-06
Hamilton, ON
reply to Pamela
I was thinking about outside and repeater ... But using repeater mode is not goof for performance ..

High Gain antennas is the way to go, or just hardwired ..
Lighting and Cat 5 .... sure .. as someone said you can have it grounded ...

l0thar

join:2005-12-29
Far Far Away
reply to Pamela
Make the outside cable run - reliability and speed will be unmatched, imo.

grayfox

join:2007-12-10
Whitby, ON

1 edit
reply to Pamela
Aim the router through a nearby window.

In my experience concrete stops wifi pretty much in its tracks, same with metal.

Just drill a hole and run some cat5e (Outdoor preferably if you don't want to have to replace it in 5 years)

Pamela

@rr.com
reply to Pamela
Thanks for the great ideas!! Lightning is a major concern. I'm think of going with the D-Link using the electrical outlets. It seems easiest and I can also add the xbox 360 to it (which is currently wireless).

Great ideas! Thanks so much!

ex bell

@cgocable.net
reply to Pamela
You do not have to ground or worry about lightening on any wiring attached to your house.
Over the span of decades I have run literally miles and miles and never had a problem.
The outdoor cat.5 I have on the truck has a jacket that is tougher than BSW or drop so there are no problems running it outside.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
reply to Pamela
I wouldn't worry too much about lightning with an ethernet cable on the side of a building. Maybe if you put it on the roof and had exposed copper...

davidbrown

join:2005-05-31
Toronto, ON
reply to Pamela
Got some tin fail /tape glue and cardboard?

Well you can boast you signal for free and it works shockingly well.

»www.freeantennas.com/projects/te···dex.html

I kid you not its so simple you would think naw but it works very well.