uniqs
Celestil
join:2009-05-04
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

Celestil

Re: MI424WR-GEN2 Rev E Configuration Thread

All:

I recieved this answer on the Verizon forums on how to use this router and enable bridging. My setup is already Ethernet, so if anyone wants to give this a try and report back, please do so.

How I successfully bridged my Actiontec Rev E with VOD, widgets, guide.
My setup DIR-825 router

ActionTec LanPort 1 to DIR-825 WAN, DIR-825 Port 1 to ActionTec WAN.

1. Hardware Reset Router
2. Top Menu - Advanced - Restore Defaults
3. Top Menu – Advanced – System Setting – Disable Auto Wan Detection - Apply
4. Top Menu – Wireless Settings – Side Menu – Basic Security Settings – Wireless Off – Apply
5. Top Menu – Firewall Settings – Side Menu – General – Minimum – Apply
6. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Advanced
7. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Broadband(Coax) - Settings - Release – Apply
a. If address is not released properly you might have to wait 2 hours to retrieve another IP address from Verizon
8. Broadband(Coax) - Settings - IP Distribution – Disable – Apply
9. Broadband(Coax)- Settings – DNS Server – No DNS Server – Apply
10. Broadband (Coax) - Settings – IP Address – No IP Address - Apply
11. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Network (Home/Office) - Settings – IP Distribution Disable – Apply
12. Network (Home/Office) - Settings – DNS Server – No DNS Server – Apply
13. Network(Home/Office) - Settings – Internet Protocol – Use the following IP Address –Apply
14. Network(Home/Office) - Settings – IP Address – Set to 192.168.x.1 where x is not used on your LAN – Apply
a. If you have changed the IP here you should change the properties of the network adapter attached to the Actiontec to have an IP assigned on the Actiontec LAN… i.e if setting was 192.168.5.1 , the IP of the computers wired network adapter could be 192.168.5.3
15. Network(Home/Office) – Settings – Uncheck Box to Left of Coax – Apply
16. Network(Home/Office) – Settings – Uncheck Box to Left of Wireless – Apply
17. Network(Home/Office) - Settings – Check Box to Left of Broadband(Coax) – Apply
18. Network(Home/Office) - Settings – Check STP Box to Right of Broadband(Coax) –Apply
19. Network(Home/Office) - Settings – Network – Broadband Connection -Apply
20. Top Menu – Advanced – MAC Cloning – Set Mac of Device – Broadband(Coax) –
a. Set the WAN MAC of the router to the MAC address listed here, write this down for now if you can’t do this now.
b. Set the Address here to the WAN MAC of the router that will be connected to the Actiontec to avoid conflicts

After the Above steps you should be able to reboot the Actiontec by turning off the power and run a cable from the LAN 1 port of the Actiontec to the WAN port of the desired router. The desired router should also be rebooted. After this step the desired router should be able to DHCP an address from Verizon…. If not there is a problem… Do not go further.

To Enable VOD, widgets, etc

Make sure Coax is no longer tabbed underneath Network(Home/Office)

1. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections - Coax - Settings - IP Distribution – Disable – Apply
2. Coax- Settings – DNS Server – No DNS Server – Apply
3. Coax - Settings – IP Address – No IP Address – Apply
4. Coax - Settings – Network – Broadband Connection – Apply
5. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Broadband(Ethernet) - Settings – Network – Network(Home/Office) – Apply
6. Broadband (Ethernet) - Settings - IP Distribution – Disable – Apply
7. Broadband(Ethernet)– Settings - DNS Server – No DNS Server – Apply
8. Broadband(Ethernet)– Settings - IP Address – No IP Address – Apply
9. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Add – Network Bridging – Next – Add A New Bridge – Next – Select the Coax and Broadband (Ethernet) Checkboxes - Edit the New Connection – Finish
10. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections - Bridge – Settings - Network – Broadband Connection – Apply
11. Bridge – Settings – Internet Protocol – Obtain IP address automatically – Apply
12. Bridge – Settings – DNS server – Obtain DNS automatically –apply
13. Bridge – Settings – IP Address Distribution – DHCP relay -Apply
14. Bridge – Settings – Routing – NAPT - Apply
15. Bridge – Settings – Select Route - Apply
16. Bridge – Settings – Check Box to Left of Coax (if not already checked) Check STP box to right of Coax – Apply
17. Bridge – Settings – Check Box to Left of Broadband(Ethernet) (if not already checked) Check STP box to right of Broadband(Ethernet) - Apply
18. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Broadband (Ethernet) – Enable
a. This must be re-enabled if the router loses power

Run a cable from the LAN port of the desired router to the WAN port of the Actiontec

Remove and Reconnect Power to the STBs they should now be pulling IP addresses from the desired router

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

1 edit

More Fiber

MVM

That seems like a lot to trouble to go to. Since you have an ethernet connection to the ONT, did you try following the instructions here:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 3): WAN-to-LAN keeps Guide and VOD (easier)

edit:
Did you actually try these instructions with your Rev. E Actiontec while you were still on coax? The instructions you posted appear to be the same instructions posted here:
»Make your actiontec a bridge with VOD working with REV D

It is my undersanding based on posts here:
»I need help bridging my Westell 9100 EM router
»How do I turn my Verizon 9100EM Router into a "Bridge" ?
that the broadband coax and broadband ethernet connections can not be separated (part 1 step 17) on the Rev. E and Westells, which is required to make them function as a double bridge (coax WAN to ethernet WAN and ethernet LAN to coax LAN).

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

1 edit

birdfeedr

MVM

Whoops! It's late. Original post says coax connection. 5/14 post says it can be done, not that it was done. So may still be on coax.

This looks like the regular Bridge w/ VOD steps, at least at first glance. Personalized for the Rev. E.
Celestil
join:2009-05-04
Brooklyn, NY

Celestil to More Fiber

to More Fiber
I attempted the below and it FAILED

»Make your actiontec a bridge with VOD working with REV D

The instructions I posted came from another forum. I can no longer try this. I have not examined the instructions, I merely posted them the moment I got them.
dsl_sutra
join:2003-12-25
united state

2 edits

dsl_sutra to Celestil

to Celestil
Wouldn't it be easier just bite the bullet - buy a NIM-100?
said by Celestil:

All:

I recieved this answer on the Verizon forums on how to use this router and enable bridging. My setup is already Ethernet, so if anyone wants to give this a try and report back, please do so.

How I successfully bridged my Actiontec Rev E with VOD, widgets, guide.
My setup DIR-825 router

ActionTec LanPort 1 to DIR-825 WAN, DIR-825 Port 1 to ActionTec WAN...

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

1 edit

More Fiber

MVM

said by dsl_sutra:

Wouldn't it be easier just bite the bullet - buy a NIM-100?
A NIM-100 can not be used as a MOCA WAN bridge between the ONT and an ethernet router.

p.s. It really wasn't necessary to quote the instructions again.

MadMint
@verizon.net

MadMint to Celestil

Anon

to Celestil
OK, it wasn't easy - some user error and some minor errors in the steps above, but if you follow the instructions you can make this work. I'd been at this for days, but tonight I found this guide and have everything working with my D-Link DIR-655. I have a coax connection, FiOS TV and everything works as described.

Here is my Verizon router info:

Firmware Version: 20.9.0
Model Name: MI424WR-GEN2
Hardware Version: E

I have the guide, widgets, etc... all working. Everything now runs through my own router rather than that crazy actiontec which caused me all sorts of nightmares.

So to answer anyone who is wondering, yes it can be done with the latest router from Verizon and the latest firmware.

brianmcd
Premium Member
join:2000-09-06
Norristown, PA

brianmcd

Premium Member

Did you try it with the 20.8.0 Firmware ?

I have been unable to locate a Revision Log to indicate the differences between 20.8.0 and 20.9.0 and I wonder if this might be one of the things that they changed.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to MadMint

MVM

to MadMint
said by MadMint :

OK, it wasn't easy - some user error and some minor errors in the steps above, but if you follow the instructions you can make this work.
Could you please post which steps have errors in them.

MadMint
@verizon.net

MadMint

Anon

Click for full size
Main Verizon Screen
Click for full size
Network Connections
Click for full size
Bridge Connection
Click for full size
Home/Office Connection

To answer the first question, I didn't try 20.8.0, as I only have the 20.9.0 firmware. That is what came on my router. I'd be happy to switch firmware and test it if someone can tell me where to get the firmware from, but I can't see why 20.9.0 would work and 20.8.0 wouldn't.

So as requested, here are some tips based on what I did last night:

20. Top Menu – Advanced – MAC Cloning – Set Mac of Device – Broadband(Coax) –
a. Set the WAN MAC of the router to the MAC address listed here, write this down for now if you can’t do this now.
b. Set the Address here to the WAN MAC of the router that will be connected to the Actiontec to avoid conflicts

I did step 20, then a and it actually broke everything for me. I wrote down the MAC address from my verizon router before I made the change, so I get back on and set it back when I couldn't figure out what the problem was and everything started working.

My issue here was DNS wouldn't work....I could get an IP from verizon, but not get outside the network with a ping or nslookup.

14. Bridge – Settings – Routing – NAPT - Apply
15. Bridge – Settings – Select Route - Apply

I didn't find anything that said select route, so just skipped step 15.

18. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Broadband (Ethernet) – Enable
a. This must be re-enabled if the router loses power

During the set-up I found my Ethernet connection went disabled a few times while I was rebooting my STB's. In fact, you don't need to reboot your STB's, they will pick up a new IP and just work if you leave them alone for a bit. I left mine overnight and checked earlier today and 2 of my STB's now have new addresses from my DLink.

Just watch this during set-up to make sure that connection stays enabled.

Other notes:

I can now access my verizon router using the DHCP assigned address from my D-Link which is pretty cool.

There are no error lights or warnings on my verizon router which I read about for previous versions, so that is nice also.

Sounds obvious, but get the cabling right....in a rush, I made some silly mistakes here and wasted time troubleshooting my own incompetence.

Also, to help out...here are some screen shots of my final config - I personally find a picture much easier to work from in order to make sure everything is right. Let me know if anyone wants any other screen shots. Good luck.

m0rd
@verizon.net

m0rd

Anon

I did step 20, then a and it actually broke everything for me. I wrote down the MAC address from my verizon router before I made the change, so I get back on and set it back when I couldn't figure out what the problem was and everything started working.

so according to this you DON'T use cloning ?

sigh
udipl
join:2009-07-29
Richmond, VA

udipl to Celestil

to Celestil
Thanks a lot - this forum is great.
I got it to work yesterday, and without MAC cloning.
I got into trouble because I forgot to release the old Verizon DHCP lease before one of my reboots , but I called Verizon, and after waiting through their automated menu, I eventually got to a human tech, and he immediately released my DHCP lease, and then my Netgear router got a new one successfully.

This is much better!
thetoad30
join:2009-08-17
Phoenixville, PA

thetoad30 to Celestil

to Celestil
All,

I realize this thread is a bit old, but it's the closest I've found for my situation...

Just got the FIOS internet set up today. I am using MoCA for the internet connection (internet only setup - dedicated cable to room from ONT).

I cannot, for the life of me, get the Actiontec to get a DHCP address from my DIR-855. Is this possible without using the Cat5 connection on the ONT to the D-Link? Is it that the WAN port and the MoCA port cannot be unlinked?

If not, then how did you do it?

I CAN get internet bridged over and my D-Link does pull a Verizon public IP so my internet connection is being shared. I just would have liked to have the option to get FIOS TV in the future if I needed it, as well as it would have been nice to admin the Actiontec router from my LAN without having to statically assign an IP and move cabling from port to port on my PC.

TIA

abar
@verizon.net

abar to Celestil

Anon

to Celestil
I followed the directions to get the internet working (the first 20 steps) and succeeded. As of right now, I have the Actiontec modem/router bridged through a third-party Netgear WNP824 and all is well with the internet. However, I have no VOD/widgets/TV guide. I have run into a serious roadblock.

I want to start the next part, getting the VOD working, however, for the life of me I CANNOT log back into the Actiontec MI424WR. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I have the WAN port of the Actiontec connected to LAN1 of the Netgear, the WAN port of the Netgear connected to LAN1 of the Actiontec and the ethernet port in my laptop connected to LAN2 of the Actiontec. However, I can't get a signal. If I do this, I get a 'little or no connectivity' error. I simply can't even connect to the Actiontec! I have NO IDEA what I could possibly be doing wrong. Has anyone else run into this roadblock?
ChocoTaco369
join:2009-08-29
Ardmore, PA

ChocoTaco369 to Celestil

to Celestil
I followed the directions to get the internet working (the first 20 steps) and succeeded. As of right now, I have the Actiontec modem/router bridged through a third-party Netgear WNP824 and all is well with the internet. However, I have no VOD/widgets/TV guide. I have run into a serious roadblock.

I want to start the next part, getting the VOD working, however, for the life of me I CANNOT log back into the Actiontec MI424WR. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I have the WAN port of the Actiontec connected to LAN1 of the Netgear, the WAN port of the Netgear connected to LAN1 of the Actiontec and the ethernet port in my laptop connected to LAN2 of the Actiontec. However, I can't get a signal. If I do this, I get a 'little or no connectivity' error. I simply can't even connect to the Actiontec! I have NO IDEA what I could possibly be doing wrong. Has anyone else run into this roadblock?
KewlRobD2
join:2007-01-30
Hawthorne, NY

1 edit

KewlRobD2 to MadMint

to MadMint
I am a little confused about your screen shots. Your router has an IP address assigned from your d-link. The subnet is 192.168.0.x yet under My Network the STB's and your Dell XPS have ip addresses in the 192.168.1.x range. Where are they getting their IP addresses from?
said by MadMint :

I can now access my verizon router using the DHCP assigned address from my D-Link which is pretty cool.
Did you have to do anything special to get this working? My Bridge has obtained an IP address from my d-link but I am unable to access the verizon router from that address.

starcaptor
join:2000-08-19
East Northport, NY

starcaptor to Celestil

to Celestil
Alright, I am trying this setup, but I am unclear on two of the instructions. If someone could clarify for me I would be grateful: =)

First of all, I am attaching the ethernet WAN of the Actiontec to LAN1 of my router (wrt54gs), and the WAN of the router to the LAN1 of the Actiontec, correct? Do I do this before attempting all of these steps, or after? Should I attach the PC which I am doing all of these mods through to the ActionTec or my router?

Assuming I am just working on the actiontec alone...

Step 14 says to change the IP. I dont know what to change it to. It says to change it to one not used on my LAN. Meaning, as a gateway, it should have a different IP from the gateway IP of my router? So if its currently the default of 192.168.1.1, should my router gateway IP be 192.168.2.1, something like that?

Next is step 19...what am I doing here exactly? I cant enable both ethernet broadband and coax broadband, it keeps giving me an error message, unless I am not reading it right...

and I assume that cloning the MAC of the action onto my router is what it asks..

Thanks in advance!

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by starcaptor:

First of all, I am attaching the ethernet WAN of the Actiontec to LAN1 of my router (wrt54gs), and the WAN of the router to the LAN1 of the Actiontec, correct? Do I do this before attempting all of these steps, or after? Should I attach the PC which I am doing all of these mods through to the Actiontec or my router?
You are creating two bridges.
•coax WAN to ethernet WAN
•ethernet LAN to MOCA LAN
There are two parts to the instructions. The first part corresponds to the first bridge. The second part to the second bridge.

Do not connect the Actiontec LAN1 port to your router until you have completed part 1-20b. After you reach part 1 20b, you see the following (unnumbered) instruction:
quote:
After the Above steps you should be able to reboot the Actiontec by turning off the power and run a cable from the LAN 1 port of the Actiontec to the WAN port of the desired router. The desired router should also be rebooted. After this step the desired router should be able to DHCP an address from Verizon…. If not there is a problem… Do not go further.

said by starcaptor:

Step 14 says to change the IP. I don't know what to change it to. It says to change it to one not used on my LAN. Meaning, as a gateway, it should have a different IP from the gateway IP of my router? So if its currently the default of 192.168.1.1, should my router gateway IP be 192.168.2.1, something like that?
It just needs to be different from the LAN side subnet of your Linksys. 192.168.2.1 is fine. When you change it, your will need to set your PC to a static IP address on the same subnet. e.g. 192.168.2.2
said by starcaptor:

Next is step 19...what am I doing here exactly? I cant enable both ethernet broadband and coax broadband, it keeps giving me an error message, unless I am not reading it right...
I don't see where the instructions stated to remove Broadband Connection (ethernet) from the Network (H/O) group. You should uncheck both the box to the left of Broadband Connection (ethernet) and also uncheck the STP box to the right, then APPLY.
said by starcaptor:

and I assume that cloning the MAC of the action onto my router is what it asks..
It's normally not necessary to clone the MAC address of the Actiontec onto your router. You would do that, only if you have trouble release the DHCP lease from the Actiontec and acquiring a new DHCP lease on your router. See the following FAQ: »Verizon FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease? Why would I need to?

starcaptor
East Northport, NY

starcaptor

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. Your instructions seem to make sense, thjeoretically and practically. But I am still unclear on step 14.

So at this step, can I leave the actiontec on 192.168.1.1, and change my linksys IP to 192.168.2.1, and make all my PCs 192.168.2.x? I am assuming this since the linksys will be the one routing all of my computers. do I need to touch subnet mask or can i leave everything at 255.255.255.0 on everything?

Once I have the above setup, I can log into the linksys with 192.168.2.1, and the actiontec via 192.168.1.1?

Should I do this while interfacing directly with the actiontec or hooked through the linksys which is hooked to the actiontec?

Thanks again for your help!

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

1 edit

More Fiber

MVM

said by starcaptor:

I am still unclear on step 14.

So at this step, can I leave the actiontec on 192.168.1.1, and change my linksys IP to 192.168.2.1, and make all my PCs 192.168.2.x?
Yes, you can leave the Actiontec on 192.168.1.1, as long as the Linksys has a different subnet. This becomes the "admin" address for the Actiontec.
said by starcaptor:

do I need to touch subnet mask or can i leave everything at 255.255.255.0 on everything?
255.255.255.0 is fine everywhere.
said by starcaptor:

Once I have the above setup, I can log into the linksys with 192.168.2.1, and the actiontec via 192.168.1.1?
Yes.
said by starcaptor:

Should I do this while interfacing directly with the actiontec or hooked through the linksys which is hooked to the actiontec?
To log in to the Actiontec, you will need to connect directly to it with a 192.168.1.x static IP address.

starcaptor
East Northport, NY

starcaptor

Thanks 'More Fiber' Your instructions were the real deal. Now I have my Tomato-powered WRT54GS routing to both my DVR as well as my computers.

Very Very well done, thanks again =)