share rss forum feed

TrainBuff
The New Haven Railroad
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Buffalo, NY
kudos:4
reply to Kiwi

Re: Just wondering if the South still exists?

This Yankee was always treated with great southern hospitality every time that I was down south.
The people as far as I'm concerned are more laid back and not rushed like we are up north. And get to know them, they will treat you like family.
--
Train Yourself To Relax...Ride The New Haven Railroad! Weather or No...Go New Haven!
The New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Co.:1872-1968. Serving New York and the Great Industrial States of Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut.

MIRV

join:2000-12-01
Louisville, KY
reply to McSummation

I never considered Texas 'the south'. That's more 'the west'.

boognish
Premium
join:2001-09-26
Baton Rouge, LA
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to Kiwi

Born on a mountain top in Tennessee... greenest state in the land of the free. Raised in the woods so he knew every tree. Killed him a bear when he was only three. Boog... Boognish - king of the wild frontier.
--
don't get 2 close 2 my fantasy

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:2
reply to MIRV

said by MIRV:

Ft. Worth claims it's "Where the West Begins". Dallas is more "Southern". Then, there's West, which is a town on I-35 between Waco and the Metroplex (Dallas/Ft. Worth) and it is Czech. Just east of Round Rock, there are many Swede descendants and, until recently, some of the church services were still in Swedish.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12
reply to MIRV

said by MIRV:

I would place Texas more in South Central. When people refer to "The South" I think more of South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, parts of North Carolina and Virginia, etc. Definitely not Texas.

Has anyone noticed if you change two letters, Texas becomes Taxes? Funny, funny.

Hookem99
Deep In The Heart

join:2007-07-18
Pflugerville, TX
kudos:1
reply to keyboard5684

said by keyboard5684:

And never have I had so many people lie to me than when I worked in Texas for 4 years.

Those were probably the people that moved to Texas from California who are slowly ruining our southern way of life here in the Lone Star State.

Now don't get me wrong, I have met a few outsiders that are pretty nice, but a fair majority are yahoos that need to stay in California. What gets me is that all these folks move to Texas and then complain, bitch and moan about it. Well get the hell out if you don't like it!
--
Women think they are clever just because they can fake an orgasm for a relationship, whats the big deal a man can fake a whole relationship for an orgasm!!!!

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Kiwi

"I would place Texas more in South Central. When people refer to "The South" I think more of South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, parts of North Carolina and Virginia,Tennessee etc."

There, fixed it for you!

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
reply to Kiwi

Texas is still the South, I promise...west of that is where it starts to get weird.

I couldn't be more proud to be from the south, and just so you guys know, a yankee is someone from above the Mason-Dixon, a damn yankee is one who moved down here and won't go back home!

I was born and raised in Kennesaw, GA and currently live in Columbia, SC.
I have a degree from UGA (Go Dawgs, baby)
I lived 2 years in Europe, mainly in Naples, Italy (non military, on my own, still speak Italian relatively well)
I just purchased a house (not a trailer) above the 150k mark
I love sweet tea
I've never liked grits (except w/ maybe catfish)
My favorite meal is fried chicken and mama's mashed potatoes
I say "yall", "sir" and "ma'am"
I open doors for others as well as keep the from closing on them
I always have an open seat at the dinner table for friends and strangers (though I like to chat, so never really met one),
I wave to people I don't know on a regular basis (and they wave back)
I say "Excuse me" when I pass someone in a narrow area or bump into them, or need to leave the dinner table.
I love my front porch and the rockers from Cracker Barrel that adorn it

....and I've never screwed my sister....now, my cousin on the other hand.....
--
Let us so live that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry. -Mark Twain

My Blog - Raising Connor - »raisingconnor.blogspot.com/ - updated 3/11/09

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Matt3

said by Matt3:

said by MIRV:

I would place Texas more in South Central. When people refer to "The South" I think more of South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, parts of North Carolina and Virginia, etc. Definitely not Texas.

Aren't you forgettin, ahem, Louisiana? Please don't tell me you threw Louisiana in the "etc." category!

Edit: It's ok though, I was born in Vicksburg, Mississippi.

quote:
dandelion See Profile
The North has dating services, The South has family reunions.
Yes indeed
--
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons..." - T.S Eliot
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Publilius Syrus
Ma blog: »www.johndball.com

Hookem99
Deep In The Heart

join:2007-07-18
Pflugerville, TX
kudos:1
reply to Koil

said by Koil:

I love my front porch and the rockers from Cracker Barrel that adorn it

Me too..... Can't beat Cracker Barrel rockers!!
--
Women think they are clever just because they can fake an orgasm for a relationship, whats the big deal a man can fake a whole relationship for an orgasm!!!!

tvtek
Live life to its fullest
Premium
join:2004-03-07
Concord, CA
reply to Kiwi

said by Kiwi:

You forgot, they have better looking woman in the South

There's nothing wrong with the plastic women in the west!...lol
--
"Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect"
Steven Wright.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

3 edits
reply to Hookem99

said by Hookem99:

Now don't get me wrong, I have met a few outsiders that are pretty nice, but a fair majority are yahoos that need to stay in California. What gets me is that all these folks move to Texas and then complain, bitch and moan about it. Well get the hell out if you don't like it!
You are kidding, right? Damned near 80% of the people currently living in California (other than "undocumented aliens") either came from somewhere else in the U.S. or were born to people who came from somewhere else in the U.S. Maybe even Texas, for all I know!
What gets me is that all these folks move to Texas and then complain, bitch and moan about it. Well get the hell out if you don't like it!
Loved my drill sergeant's bumper sticker (Ft. Polk, Louisiana): "If your heart ain't in Dixie, get your ass out." "Heart" and "ass" were iconic representations of the words. I'm just too lazy to doll it up that way.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

RWild
Them Or Us
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Cary, NC
reply to MIRV

To me, the "South" is comprised of the Confederate States (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederat···_America). They definitely include Texas.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX
reply to McSummation

said by McSummation:

said by MIRV:

Ft. Worth claims it's "Where the West Begins". Dallas is more "Southern". Then, there's West, which is a town on I-35 between Waco and the Metroplex (Dallas/Ft. Worth) and it is Czech. Just east of Round Rock, there are many Swede descendants and, until recently, some of the church services were still in Swedish.
West has the best kolaches north of Waco...

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
Fort Worth, TX

As many times as I've been through West, I've never stopped and gotten any kolaches.

BTW, stupid spell check doesn't understand "kolaches".

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

That's OK. Most people don't understand kolaches either. When I first moved "up north" to Fort Worth, people here thought a sausage roll was a kolache! I had to explain that a kolache was a pastry with fruit in the middle and what they were dealing with was a pig in a blanket.
Isn't this a fun state?

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
Fort Worth, TX

At least Wikipedia knows about them, including West - »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolache.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
Fort Worth, TX
reply to MIRV

Another difference between Texas and other places in the South that are more eastern is BBQ/barbecue/barbque (however you want to spell it). Ours is better than yours.

boognish
Premium
Baton Rouge, LA

I don't know. I like the Carolina style of BBQ quite a bit.
--

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to McSummation

said by McSummation:

Another difference between Texas and other places in the South that are more eastern is BBQ/barbecue/barbque (however you want to spell it). Ours is better than yours.
See...now you've just gone and made this personal.

I prefer tomato based BBQ's above all.

There are actually 2 kinds of carolina style BBQ....here in SC, they prefer a mustard based BBQ sauce, which I find disgusting. Very good way to ruin a good piece of meat.

North Carolina uses a vinegar based spiced BBQ sauce that is pretty damn good.
--
Let us so live that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry. -Mark Twain

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro
reply to Kiwi

When was the last time you heard of the South doing anything? LOL...

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
Fort Worth, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Koil

The last time I ate some of that vinegar based stuff, it made me sick.

There are some really good BBQ joints in central Texas. Cooper's in Llano is one of the best.

When talking to new residents about BBQ, I tell them, "Good BBQ doesn't come from a clean place. If it's not smoky and a little 'dirty', it would be any good. In general, the grungier the place, the better the BBQ." Now, having said that, if it's too dirty, the health department might need to be called.

The best BBQ I've had in years was: feral hog (killed the day before), pit roasted, served on big plates out under a pecan tree on the bank of the Frio River downstream from Concan, TX. There were a couple of piggies and a cabrito in there, too, but the big old hog was the best. For dessert, we had "camp cobbler" of the peach variety. Man, was that a party. Folks from all over the world attended. (It was a "welcome to Texas" party for the new daughter-in-law of an old friend of mine. The party was on one of the ancestral ranches.)

RWild
Them Or Us
Premium
Cary, NC
reply to McSummation

said by McSummation:

Having grown up in Memphis, I have to take strong exception!. Hell, you Texans think BBQ is beef!

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC

1 edit
reply to McSummation

said by McSummation:

The last time I ate some of that vinegar based stuff, it made me sick.

There are some really good BBQ joints in central Texas. Cooper's in Llano is one of the best.

When talking to new residents about BBQ, I tell them, "Good BBQ doesn't come from a clean place. If it's not smoky and a little 'dirty', it would be any good. In general, the grungier the place, the better the BBQ." Now, having said that, if it's too dirty, the health department might need to be called.

The best BBQ I've had in years was: feral hog (killed the day before), pit roasted, served on big plates out under a pecan tree on the bank of the Frio River downstream from Concan, TX. There were a couple of piggies and a cabrito in there, too, but the big old hog was the best. For dessert, we had "camp cobbler" of the peach variety. Man, was that a party. Folks from all over the world attended. (It was a "welcome to Texas" party for the new daughter-in-law of an old friend of mine. The party was on one of the ancestral ranches.)
Nice!! We have what are called "Pig Pickin's" which is essentially the same thing, though I don't know if the hog was feral or not, but yeah...thats good stuff, man. Every year a friend of ours has a loosely based Luau party. She provides the pit and the pig. A lot of the guys hang out and cook it all night, playing cards, etc and then have it at the party the next day. Everyone else brings sides, etc.....its a good time.
--

RWild
Them Or Us
Premium
Cary, NC
reply to boognish

After living in the Carolinas for almost thirty years, I still much prefer the Memphis-style, tomato-based BBQ.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
Fort Worth, TX
reply to RWild

Oh, read my other post about hog, piggies and cabrito. We eat all that plus bovines.

You know, californians might ... Nah, probably taste like plastic.

boognish
Premium
Baton Rouge, LA
reply to RWild

I still love me some NC style BBQ. That is the style I grew up on. Louisiana has good food, but I haven't found a decent BBQ since I have been here. Also the lack of country ham drives me nuts. I have to stock up when I go visit my Mom.
--

RWild
Them Or Us
Premium
Cary, NC
reply to McSummation

said by McSummation:

Oh, read my other post about hog, piggies and cabrito. We eat all that plus bovines.

You know, californians might ... Nah, probably taste like plastic.
Must have posted that while I was still typing. BTW, wore my cabrito-skin boots the other day - nice and soft.

BTW, when I used to drive between Hobbs, NM and the Odessa/Midland airport, I noticed a lot of German bakeries on the way. Interesting that Germans, Swedes, and Czechs would settle in such dry country.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
Fort Worth, TX

There are a lot of them in central Texas. They got "rights" to land here in the mid-1800's. Since they couldn't own land where they came from, this was like Eden to them, even if it did get hot in the summer.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
Fort Worth, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Koil

said by Koil:

... a damn yankee is one who moved down here and won't go back home!
Where I grew up, damnyankee was one word. I didn't know it was supposed to be 2 words until I was grown. One that won't go home is also called a "carpetbagger".

There are 2 active railroads in this area. One is the "Austin something or other". One was the Missouri-Pacific until recently, called MoPac for short. One of our freeways is named MoPac because it is built on both sides of the track. One rail that has had the track pulled up was the Missouri-Kansas-Texas, otherwise known as The Katy. Some fool carpetbagger that didn't know the difference, started calling it "The MoKan". It has taken decades to get rid of that name.