All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

MIRV
join:2000-12-01
Louisville, KY

MIRV to McSummation

to McSummation

Re: Just wondering if the South still exists?

I never considered Texas 'the south'. That's more 'the west'.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

said by MIRV:

Ft. Worth claims it's "Where the West Begins". Dallas is more "Southern". Then, there's West, which is a town on I-35 between Waco and the Metroplex (Dallas/Ft. Worth) and it is Czech. Just east of Round Rock, there are many Swede descendants and, until recently, some of the church services were still in Swedish.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to MIRV

Premium Member

to MIRV
said by MIRV:

I would place Texas more in South Central. When people refer to "The South" I think more of South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, parts of North Carolina and Virginia, etc. Definitely not Texas.

Has anyone noticed if you change two letters, Texas becomes Taxes? Funny, funny.

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

1 recommendation

exocet_cm

Premium Member

said by Matt3:
said by MIRV:

I would place Texas more in South Central. When people refer to "The South" I think more of South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, parts of North Carolina and Virginia, etc. Definitely not Texas.

Aren't you forgettin, ahem, Louisiana? Please don't tell me you threw Louisiana in the "etc." category!

Edit: It's ok though, I was born in Vicksburg, Mississippi.
quote:
dandelion See Profile
The North has dating services, The South has family reunions.
Yes indeed

RWild
Them Or Us
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Cary, NC

RWild to MIRV

Premium Member

to MIRV
To me, the "South" is comprised of the Confederate States (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co ··· _America). They definitely include Texas.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
said by McSummation:

said by MIRV:

Ft. Worth claims it's "Where the West Begins". Dallas is more "Southern". Then, there's West, which is a town on I-35 between Waco and the Metroplex (Dallas/Ft. Worth) and it is Czech. Just east of Round Rock, there are many Swede descendants and, until recently, some of the church services were still in Swedish.
West has the best kolaches north of Waco...

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

As many times as I've been through West, I've never stopped and gotten any kolaches.

BTW, stupid spell check doesn't understand "kolaches".

Thespis
Premium Member
Keller, TX

Thespis

Premium Member

That's OK. Most people don't understand kolaches either. When I first moved "up north" to Fort Worth, people here thought a sausage roll was a kolache! I had to explain that a kolache was a pastry with fruit in the middle and what they were dealing with was a pig in a blanket.
Isn't this a fun state?

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

At least Wikipedia knows about them, including West - »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolache.
McSummation

McSummation to MIRV

Premium Member

to MIRV
Another difference between Texas and other places in the South that are more eastern is BBQ/barbecue/barbque (however you want to spell it). Ours is better than yours.

boognish
Premium Member
join:2001-09-26
Baton Rouge, LA

boognish

Premium Member

I don't know. I like the Carolina style of BBQ quite a bit.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
said by McSummation:

Another difference between Texas and other places in the South that are more eastern is BBQ/barbecue/barbque (however you want to spell it). Ours is better than yours.
See...now you've just gone and made this personal.

I prefer tomato based BBQ's above all.

There are actually 2 kinds of carolina style BBQ....here in SC, they prefer a mustard based BBQ sauce, which I find disgusting. Very good way to ruin a good piece of meat.

North Carolina uses a vinegar based spiced BBQ sauce that is pretty damn good.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

1 recommendation

McSummation

Premium Member

The last time I ate some of that vinegar based stuff, it made me sick.

There are some really good BBQ joints in central Texas. Cooper's in Llano is one of the best.

When talking to new residents about BBQ, I tell them, "Good BBQ doesn't come from a clean place. If it's not smoky and a little 'dirty', it would be any good. In general, the grungier the place, the better the BBQ." Now, having said that, if it's too dirty, the health department might need to be called.

The best BBQ I've had in years was: feral hog (killed the day before), pit roasted, served on big plates out under a pecan tree on the bank of the Frio River downstream from Concan, TX. There were a couple of piggies and a cabrito in there, too, but the big old hog was the best. For dessert, we had "camp cobbler" of the peach variety. Man, was that a party. Folks from all over the world attended. (It was a "welcome to Texas" party for the new daughter-in-law of an old friend of mine. The party was on one of the ancestral ranches.)

RWild
Them Or Us
Premium Member
Cary, NC

RWild to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
said by McSummation:

Having grown up in Memphis, I have to take strong exception!. Hell, you Texans think BBQ is beef!

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

1 edit

Koil to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
said by McSummation:

The last time I ate some of that vinegar based stuff, it made me sick.

There are some really good BBQ joints in central Texas. Cooper's in Llano is one of the best.

When talking to new residents about BBQ, I tell them, "Good BBQ doesn't come from a clean place. If it's not smoky and a little 'dirty', it would be any good. In general, the grungier the place, the better the BBQ." Now, having said that, if it's too dirty, the health department might need to be called.

The best BBQ I've had in years was: feral hog (killed the day before), pit roasted, served on big plates out under a pecan tree on the bank of the Frio River downstream from Concan, TX. There were a couple of piggies and a cabrito in there, too, but the big old hog was the best. For dessert, we had "camp cobbler" of the peach variety. Man, was that a party. Folks from all over the world attended. (It was a "welcome to Texas" party for the new daughter-in-law of an old friend of mine. The party was on one of the ancestral ranches.)
Nice!! We have what are called "Pig Pickin's" which is essentially the same thing, though I don't know if the hog was feral or not, but yeah...thats good stuff, man. Every year a friend of ours has a loosely based Luau party. She provides the pit and the pig. A lot of the guys hang out and cook it all night, playing cards, etc and then have it at the party the next day. Everyone else brings sides, etc.....its a good time.

RWild
Them Or Us
Premium Member
Cary, NC

RWild to boognish

Premium Member

to boognish
After living in the Carolinas for almost thirty years, I still much prefer the Memphis-style, tomato-based BBQ.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation to RWild

Premium Member

to RWild
Oh, read my other post about hog, piggies and cabrito. We eat all that plus bovines.

You know, californians might ... Nah, probably taste like plastic.

boognish
Premium Member
join:2001-09-26
Baton Rouge, LA

boognish to RWild

Premium Member

to RWild
I still love me some NC style BBQ. That is the style I grew up on. Louisiana has good food, but I haven't found a decent BBQ since I have been here. Also the lack of country ham drives me nuts. I have to stock up when I go visit my Mom.

RWild
Them Or Us
Premium Member
Cary, NC

RWild to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
said by McSummation:

Oh, read my other post about hog, piggies and cabrito. We eat all that plus bovines.

You know, californians might ... Nah, probably taste like plastic.
Must have posted that while I was still typing. BTW, wore my cabrito-skin boots the other day - nice and soft.

BTW, when I used to drive between Hobbs, NM and the Odessa/Midland airport, I noticed a lot of German bakeries on the way. Interesting that Germans, Swedes, and Czechs would settle in such dry country.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

There are a lot of them in central Texas. They got "rights" to land here in the mid-1800's. Since they couldn't own land where they came from, this was like Eden to them, even if it did get hot in the summer.

Thespis
Premium Member
Keller, TX

Thespis to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
Good link!
I grew up about 15 miles from Weimar...