uniqs

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

How do I make my Credit Card default w/ PayPal?

Right now Paypal default payment is my bank account but how do I make it use my credit card as a default payment?

I can't find it any where to change it..

Thanks

runnoft
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

4 edits

runnoft

Premium Member

Unfortunately (and to the annoyance of many people besides yourself): not possible, once you've given Paypal your bank account number on a Paypal account. See post 6:
»forums.ebay.com/db2/topi ··· 11687448

Under Paypal's terms, you can set up a new eBay account and Paypal account (you're allowed two, though only two Paypal accounts, though IIRC the two Paypal accounts must use separate email addresses and credit cards, though I may be confusing this with eBay policy about multiple eBay accounts) and then set the second Paypal account, which you'll use as an eBay buying account only, to only link to your credit card, as a workaround. Then you'll have to ignore periodic nags from Paypal to add a bank account, but at least it works better. NEVER add a bank account to your Paypal buying account; it's not in your interest.

Paypal hates credit cards for two reasons. One, they have to pay fees on them which cuts their profits. And two, and maybe most importantly, buyers can force a credit card chargeback against Paypal, which really pisses Paypal off, even though they just pass it on to the seller with a $10 penalty whenever they can. Force a chargeback against Paypal as an eBay buyer, without filing a Paypal dispute first and going through channels, and IIRC they will banninate you.

wenter99
Alpha Male
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Albuquerque, NM

1 edit

wenter99 to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
You need to log-in to your PayPal account and go to "profile" then select the appropriate subject from the drop down menu to add credit cards.

After you have a CC (or even two or three of them) on file with PayPal you will have an option to select your bank account or the credit card of your choice to pay an online invoice. Your bank account will always be the default choice, so you need to be sure to select another "payment option" before you click the "send payment" button.

runnoft
Premium Member
Nags Head, NC

runnoft

Premium Member

wenter, I believe OP understands how to add a credit card. I think he has one on the account and wants to make it the default payment so he doesn't always have to remember to select it. That's what's not possible. As the post I linked him to explains, there is a set order of payments Paypal uses by default, and credit cards are second from the bottom! You can select around Paypal defaults with each purchase, but it's easy to forget and hit the Pay Now button, which is exactly what Paypal is hoping you'll do.

wenter99
Alpha Male
Premium Member
Albuquerque, NM

2 edits

wenter99

Premium Member

If that's the case, then you are right. He has to select a card on file from the "payment options" link on the bottom of a PayPal invoice or the "send money" page, otherwise it will automatically deduct the funds from his bank account, by default, every time.

Sorry if I misunderstood the question, but I'm not sure I did misunderstand it...

runnoft
Premium Member
Nags Head, NC

runnoft

Premium Member

OK, cool, maybe I'm the one misunderstanding the question. I'm sure SuperNet will be along any minute to throw a bucket of water on one of us, and if it's me, I'll be happy to slink off this thread in utter disgrace.

wenter99
Alpha Male
Premium Member
Albuquerque, NM

wenter99

Premium Member

said by runnoft:

I'm sure SuperNet will be along any minute to throw a bucket of water on one of us, and if it's me, I'll be happy to slink off this thread in utter disgrace.
Oh, me too. I'm not trying to be Mr. Right and I may have totally missed his point, but I've been using PP since 2001 and I've dealt with the default bank account payment thing before. If he's already got a card on file then he just needs to manually select it each time he makes a payment, because the bank account is gonna be there by default unless he has money in his PayPal account, then that will be the default choice..

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

removed to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

I can't find it any where to change it..
It's not possible.

runnoft
Premium Member
Nags Head, NC

runnoft to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
There is one more workaround here, and that is to move change banks or get your bank to change your bank account number, so that when Paypal tries to draw on it: BOOYUH! and then they charge your credit card, if that's their next option, going down their default payment list. That one's much more trouble than it's usually worth, of course, but some Paypal users have had to use it to stop Paypal from its less-than-endearing habit of sometimes yanking money out of their bank accounts without permission.

freecity
join:2002-08-27
Markham, ON

freecity

said by runnoft:

There is one more workaround here, and that is to move change banks or get your bank to change your bank account number, so that when Paypal tries to draw on it: BOOYUH! and then they charge your credit card, if that's their next option, going down their default payment list. That one's much more trouble than it's usually worth, of course, but some Paypal users have had to use it to stop Paypal from its less-than-endearing habit of sometimes yanking money out of their bank accounts without permission.
Thats what i have done. Its a one time thing and it will forever draw from my credit card.
Coincidentally, i had a legitimate reason to change bank accounts... but even so, I would much rather not have paypal tied to my bank account.

I dont know about every bank but for my bank, to get a new bank account number would mean to close the existing account and reopening a new one. It is pretty hassle-free and the downside is that theres just a lot of paperwork involved.

runnoft
Premium Member
Nags Head, NC

runnoft

Premium Member

Yeah, and for some people, the problem will come mainly if they have to notify other parties who bill or make deposits into their bank account who are a little more trustworthy than Paypal.

And the other possible hitch is, if you switch banks or bank accounts to lose Paypal, then you often can't use that Paypal account to sell on eBay. Paypal makes it hard to impossible to be an eBay seller without tying a bank account to your Paypal account, because they want to be able to yank money back from you if they think you've messed up as a seller... or if somebody does a chargeback against Paypal, they want to be able to get their money back from you.
B04
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28

B04 to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
I was not aware of this relatively sleazy policy on their part. Thanks for publicizing it.

I guess my visceral allergic reaction to providing a 3rd party access to my bank account was wise; I used a disposable credit card number the one time I had to use PayPal.

-- B

runnoft
Premium Member
Nags Head, NC

runnoft to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
Smart move!

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
It's not possible.

Mr Neutron
Impassioned Gibberish
Premium Member
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME

Mr Neutron to runnoft

Premium Member

to runnoft
said by runnoft:

There is one more workaround here, and that is to move change banks or get your bank to change your bank account number, so that when Paypal tries to draw on it: BOOYUH! and then they charge your credit card, if that's their next option, going down their default payment list.
Is it possible to delete the bank account you have attached to your PayPal account? Assuming, of course, that you're an eBay buyer rather than a seller.

Right now, I have both a CC and a bank account linked to it. Though I've never tried it, I have to wonder if it's possible to merely delete a bank account once you've added a CC, seeing as how you still have at least one "funding source" for the account.

runnoft
Premium Member
Nags Head, NC

1 edit

runnoft

Premium Member

said by Mr Neutron:

Is it possible to delete the bank account you have attached to your PayPal account? Assuming, of course, that you're an eBay buyer rather than a seller.

Right now, I have both a CC and a bank account linked to it. Though I've never tried it, I have to wonder if it's possible to merely delete a bank account once you've added a CC, seeing as how you still have at least one "funding source" for the account.
I spent about ten minutes searching your question (delete/remove bank/checking account) on the eBay support forum for Paypal. I thought I'd find the clear answer quickly, but I didn't. There's surprisingly little discussion of this.

What I did find suggests that it is possible
»forums.ebay.com/db2/topi ··· 22164208

but that doing it may raise Paypal's suspicions that you're about to pull a fast one and may block you from using Paypal until you give them new bank account information or apply for a Paypal credit card:
»forums.ebay.com/db2/topi ··· 12244582

Paypal's TOS, IIRC, permits them, even in the event you delete your bank account info as an accepted form of payment, to retain your bank account information and to withdraw money from it, and they have been known to do this. That's why, if you're having problems with this, and you really want to stop Paypal from withdrawing from your account, you have to either change banks, or get your current bank to give you a new account number they agree to not permit Paypal to withdraw funds from.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

Thanks everyone, paypal really does suck:(

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

removed

Premium Member

Use something else then.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver to SuperNet

to SuperNet
I deleted my bank account info from my PayPal account because as a seller, a buyer can file a chargeback on their credit card, even if they actually received the item. In response PayPal takes the money from your bank account and you are up you-know-what creek! I only use my PayPal account to buy things off ebay, and I only sell stuff locally, so I didn't see a need to maintain a connection between PayPal and my bank account any more.

As a result, my credit card is the default method of payment, since it's now the only method of payment, and my PayPal account is still verified.

WrongAccount
@bellsouth.net

WrongAccount to SuperNet

Anon

to SuperNet
I didn't read the whole thread, but believe me I know the problem...selecting a different card or account to use when paying for a transaction wouldn't even be such a big deal if they just made the damn thing BIGGER AND NEAR THE PURCHASE AMOUNT!! You don't know how many times I've had to go running to the bank to make a deposit because of this stupidity....I guess paypal tries to avoid CC fees...but I don't want to pay overdraft fees!!!! This is worth making an online petition for!!!

SurfTheSky
Flyingphotog
MVM
join:2001-08-26
Fairfax, CA

SurfTheSky

MVM

You think Paypal is going to do anything about it? It's only for their benefit... You're making the mistake in believing that they actually care about the people that use their service.

Yes, I too find it intensely annoying that I have to tell Paypal to use my CC instead of my checking account each time I make a purchase. Just one of the concessions I have to make when using their service.

AbBaZaBbA
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Wildomar, CA

AbBaZaBbA to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
paypal no longer just takes money out of your account. They got their hand slapped a few years ago for that and no longer do it. What they will do however is if you have a negative paypal balance they will add that balance to a withdrawal made for another payment (they do show you that this will happen on the last screen before you hit confirm).

I.E. if you have a balance of -$50 and you pay someone $10 then they will take $60 from your bank account or cc.