how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Lazaruss

@74.80.43.x

What exactly is an atm interface?

I acquired a router, and the old configuration (before i wiped it) had :

I looked at the router (ISR) and theres only a dual T1 wic, 2 fe ports builtin, and no other slots. There's 3 empty and 1 nm that's empty, vpn module (inside). Is it that he removed the atm or is atm some kind of virtual thing?

Googling shows a bnc looking connector. making sure i'm not crazy.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
Well, it could be any module which uses ATM at the data link layer. So this could be an ADSL or SHDSL module, among others.

Since it doesnt sound like the modules were installed when you received the router, its going to be hard to tell which modules they were/it was, and what it was used for.

nosx

join:2004-12-27
It looks like a network-module for Inverse-multiplexing over ATM (IMA). its the MLPPP or MLFR of ATM world for bundling T1s together. NM-4T1-IMA = »www.tnetus.com/Assets/image/NM-4 ··· MA_1.jpg

Lazaruss

@74.80.46.x
reply to Lazaruss
That makes sense! It does have a wic card that can take 2 t1 interfaces, so i'm pretty sure it was used to bond 2 t1's together (if you can do that at the router level) or maybe just 2 seperate t1s or more for differ locations.

Thanks alot!

nosx

On the ISRs, im pretty sure that normal serial interfaces on VWIC-2MFT-T1 can do ATM if there is an AIM-ATM card installed on the motherboard of the router. You might do a show diag and see if you have such an advanced integration module.

Lazaruss

@74.80.46.x
reply to Lazaruss
Well if they removed it it makes sense. They probably did have bonded t1s. Here's what the router says (snippets of when booting)

and show version
it seems to have a builtin vpn module, and as it says a voice aim. Does that mean it can do iphones or would I still need another nm/wic for that? The only physical ports include 2 fe 2 t1s.

nosx

1 ATM/Voice AIM -- may still have the ATM aim in it. "Show diag" should identify what card it is.

Lazaruss

@74.80.46.x
apparently so....

so having this card inside... what does that allow me to do? so is aim really a builtin virtual thing?

nosx

Its a daughter board bolted onto the motherboard of the router, should let you go under the T1 controller config and tell it "mode atm" for a serial interface on a VWIC.

baalpeteor

join:2009-05-28
Lafayette, LA
but isn't atm really old obsolete technology like x.25? I thought it was replaced with frame relay or something

nosx

Nope, plenty of places still use ATM, including providers with large existing ATM infrastructure. There is something called CELL MODE MPLS that some carriers use internally over their ATM/SONET systems. ATM and frame relay are both great technology for WAN delivery requiring multiple PVCs or logical links over a single physical connection. Even with modern MPLS WAN connections, its not uncommon to see a frame or ATM delivery with multiple PVCs for data, voice, internet, and other.