spc
Search similar:

uniqs
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87 to veldy

to veldy

Re: Should I purchase a DOCSIS 3.0 modem?

Well i wish the 6120 showed in its modem log what its running in but it dont. So why would i call ask to move me to D2 with only proof i have is upload info proving it?
Btw there is no real benefit froms 1.1 to 2.0 anyways, atleast from what i have read between the two. There pretty much the same with a few security updates.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to lilstone87

to lilstone87
no the DPC3000 is the same as the SB6120, supports four channel downstream adn 4 channel upstream. The model I was talking about was the DPC3010. I posted a url to its specs in my last post.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to veldy

to veldy
veldy my area was docsis 1.1 till they upgraded to docsis 3.0 overnight.
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87 to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

no the DPC3000 is the same as the SB6120, supports four channel downstream adn 4 channel upstream. The model I was talking about was the DPC3010. I posted a url to its specs in my last post.
Well no isp has there hands on it yet, because people with D3 from cox is getting the DPC3000, when they get there D3 speed tiers. So it will be probably beginning of 01 before you see any isp's pushing out the one with 8 channels both ways.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

Yeah its not out yet, but within the next six months to a year it should be, depending on if the ISP goes with Cisco.

And the D3 CTMS (the equipment that runs the cable modems) can support 16 channel bonding, 8 upstream 8 downstream.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to veldy

Premium Member

to veldy
said by veldy:

Also, if you have DOCSIS 1.1 in your area, I am not sure I would expect them to jump to 3.0 anytime soon.
Huh ? Why not ?

veldy
join:1999-08-04
Minneapolis, MN

veldy to lilstone87

to lilstone87
said by lilstone87:

Well i wish the 6120 showed in its modem log what its running in but it dont. So why would i call ask to move me to D2 with only proof i have is upload info proving it?
Btw there is no real benefit froms 1.1 to 2.0 anyways, atleast from what i have read between the two. There pretty much the same with a few security updates.
2.0 allows more upstream QAM values and thus a faster upstream; but practically speaking, you are correct, it probably wouldn't make a difference to you.
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87 to veldy

to veldy
Well i bought my 6120, because first i seen Cox put it on its modem support list for D3, so i went ahead and bought one, since most likely ima have to buy one from them when it comes time anyways, and yeah i may save 10/20 dollars then, but im benefiting from it now with better upload speeds.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

Exactly what I did. »www.provantage.com/motor ··· 901Y.htm

Your going to be happy when D3 rolls out Madden

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG to lilstone87

Premium Member

to lilstone87
said by lilstone87:

Well no isp has there hands on it yet, because people with D3 from cox is getting the DPC3000, when they get there D3 speed tiers.
And ya gotta' wonder if they even have a config file written for it yet..

veldy
Minneapolis, MN

veldy to lilstone87

to lilstone87
Did you own your previous modem? I suspect you did and that is why you had a 1.1 modem. That would explain why your upstream doubled with the 6120, because now you are connecting as DOCSIS 2.0.
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87 to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Well i bought mine from CompUPlus which it was $80 and i spent $97 with the 2nd day shipping.
lilstone87

lilstone87 to EG

to EG
said by EG:

said by lilstone87:

Well no isp has there hands on it yet, because people with D3 from cox is getting the DPC3000, when they get there D3 speed tiers.
And ya gotta' wonder if they even have a config file written for it yet..
They must have something, because they are using it for all there D3 installs. Hell if you already have a 6120 they are letting the customer use there modem, but if not they are supplying them with a DPC3000, which im sure they are getting charges for both the install fee of like $30, and another probably $80 for the modem.

veldy
Minneapolis, MN

veldy to lilstone87

to lilstone87
said by lilstone87:

said by Mike Wolf:

Well i bought mine from CompUPlus which it was $80 and i spent $97 with the 2nd day shipping.
BTW .. the specs they show for this modem shows a max of 222Mbps downstream with corresponds to DOCSIS 3.0 (4-channel) using EuroDOCSIS. I would love to have 8-channel running wide open ... no sure what I could use it for though.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG to lilstone87

Premium Member

to lilstone87
said by lilstone87:

They must have something, because they are using it for all there D3 installs.
Apologies for not being clear. I was referring to the DPC3010.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to lilstone87

to lilstone87
Im suprised because Comcast never changed me to install my own modem.
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87 to EG

to EG
said by EG:

said by lilstone87:

They must have something, because they are using it for all there D3 installs.
Apologies for not being clear. I was referring to the DPC3010.
Yeah most def, they dont have a config file for that modem yet. hell cisco probably doesnt even have many of them modem ready, and probably still testing them.

veldy
Minneapolis, MN

veldy

It's worth keeping in mind that all these modems are still hardware version 1.0. I am always a little wary of version 1.0 of anything. When I hear of later hardware versions is when I will probably buy the modem [since I have already had one fail].
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by veldy:

It's worth keeping in mind that all these modems are still hardware version 1.0. I am always a little wary of version 1.0 of anything. When I hear of later hardware versions is when I will probably buy the modem [since I have already had one fail].
Well im pretty sure there is a 3 year warranty from motorola on the 6120, so if it fails im sure they are gunna replace it.
lilstone87

lilstone87

btw aint QAM64 for upload D2, and since mine is still at QAM16, that means its running at 1.1?

veldy
Minneapolis, MN

veldy to EG

to EG
said by EG:

said by lilstone87:

Put it this way the 6120 will do whatever you need for speed for the next 5 years atleast. because you wont even see many ISP by then using more then 4 channels both ways.
I agree. They'll probably want to use much of that re-claimed bandwidth gained back from going digital to provide more HDTV channels rather than HSI.
IPTV and other forms of Internet TV are growing quickly. Comcast will be FORCED to rethink its 250GB monthly limit. We watch programs from Netflix and other sources on our Tivo on a near daily basis.
veldy

veldy to lilstone87

to lilstone87
said by lilstone87:

btw aint QAM64 for upload D2, and since mine is still at QAM16, that means its running at 1.1?
No, D2 also supports all the QAM version of 1.1. It just means they configured your modem to use that particular QAM version. They just configured your modem that way for their own reasons based upon the speed tier that you paid for.
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87 to veldy

to veldy
said by veldy:

said by EG:

said by lilstone87:

Put it this way the 6120 will do whatever you need for speed for the next 5 years atleast. because you wont even see many ISP by then using more then 4 channels both ways.
I agree. They'll probably want to use much of that re-claimed bandwidth gained back from going digital to provide more HDTV channels rather than HSI.
IPTV and other forms of Internet TV are growing quickly. Comcast will be FORCED to rethink its 250GB monthly limit. We watch programs from Netflix and other sources on our Tivo on a near daily basis.
Well if i was CC customers i would be happy, hell cox cap for the top tier here is 60gb down monthly, and 15gb up monthly. So that 250gb cap is very good compared to us. But i have heard from many people... Cox doesnt enforce there cap hard on people.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG to veldy

Premium Member

to veldy
said by veldy:

IPTV and other forms of Internet TV are growing quickly. Comcast will be FORCED to rethink its 250GB monthly limit.
No argument from me there !
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87 to veldy

to veldy
Well i just talked with CS from cox via internet support to comfirm im using D2.0 and they said yes, and i have a D3 modem lol, but he told me my QOS or whatever was 22,000 for down and 3200 for up which equals out to be 22mb down and 3.2mb up.

veldy
Minneapolis, MN

veldy to EG

to EG
said by EG:

said by veldy:

IPTV and other forms of Internet TV are growing quickly. Comcast will be FORCED to rethink its 250GB monthly limit.
No argument from me there !
DSL is available in my area with no limits on download [effectively anyway], but the upload is only 896Kbps and the download cap is 20Mbps before overhead (practically it is about 17Mbps). I would move to it to avoid hitting the Comcast cap if they give me any trouble due to watching TV from Netflix. They have been promising a TiVo based DVR for many many years so I finally just bought one [no on demand, so I use Amazon.com On Demand, some free stuff and of course Netflix].

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG to veldy

Premium Member

to veldy
said by veldy:

said by lilstone87:

No, D2 also supports all the QAM version of 1.1. It just means they configured your modem to use that particular QAM version. They just configured your modem that way for their own reasons based upon the speed tier that you paid for.
Hmmm...

»Re: Let's keep all DOCSIS 3.0 Discussion in this thread, please

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to lilstone87

to lilstone87
said by lilstone87:

Im on Docsis 3.0 with D3 service and my upstream QAM is QAM16 and I'm seeing 9MB up.
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by Mike Wolf:

said by lilstone87:

Im on Docsis 3.0 with D3 service and my upstream QAM is QAM16 and I'm seeing 9MB up.
Hmm ok didnt know, i thought maybe QAM16 was for older docsis, but i was wrong. Anyways for everyone worried about the modem dying on them since its only hardware ver 1.0, well the 6120 does come with a 2 year warranty from motorola.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

True, also Motorola does make very harty equipment, lasting quite a long time...