spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

no1fatality

join:2005-03-06

Should I purchase a DOCSIS 3.0 modem?

Hi everyone. I understand that Comcast is utilizing DOCSIS 3.0 now I was wondering if it was necessary to upgrade my old Motorola Surfboard SB5100. If so, what which modem do you guys recommend and what changes will I see? Thanks for your help!

Imitation

join:2009-02-10
Pittsburgh, PA

1 edit

If DOCSIS 3.0 is available in your area and you're getting a D3 tier, then you'll need the newer modem, but if you're not upgrading (or can't), then a D2 modem will still work for quite some time. In your case, the SB5100 will still work even if your area has been upgraded.

no1fatality

I see...According to the sticky, Comcast has put DOCSIS 3.0 in my area, however I do not believe I am using a D3 tier as I'm paying for the cheapest HSI service they offer. Is this true?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4

1 edit

1 recommendation

Actually only the 2 highest tiers 22/5 and 50/10?, require a D3 modem.
The Sb5100 is a rock solid modem, unless you have verified a failure (by a tech with a tester), I would NOT upgrade until you decide to pay for a higher tier.

Agent 86

@comcast.net
reply to no1fatality

No, don't. Your current modem is fine for now and DOCSIS 3 modems will be better and cheaper when you need one.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
reply to no1fatality

Time out...

Even if your not paying for a super high speed connection, using a Docsis 3.0 modem uses channel bonding if your area is also Docsis 3.0, which you said you are in. It balances the load in your area, which helps alleviate network congestion, thus providing a more consistant, stable, and less taxed network for your entire service area.

Personally I own my own Docsis 3.0 modem, and I don't regret it.
The Motorola SB6120 seem to be the only one for retail purchase as far as I can tell,
though the cable company so far is also renting the Cisco DPC3000 out as well

Here are a few links to help you out.

»www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN···20_US_EN

»www.cisco.com/web/consumer/produ···000.html

»Is the DOCSIS 3 rollout complete in your area? Post here.

» Buying a DOCSIS 3 Compliant Cable Modem

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to no1fatality

Just to add my opinion:

Unless you want to use one of the D3 required tiers or are in an area already having congestion problems, it may be best to wait awhile. Prices will continue to fall. I may be more interested in replacing my 5120 when upstream bonding is enabled and most of the quirks are worked out.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Thats to be debated because since his area is D3 there shouldn't be as much, if any congestion, if the customers are using the correct modems and aren't holding out.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9

1 edit

2 recommendations

Debate what?

As it has been stated: only the 22/5 & 50/10 tiers require a D3 modem. All other present tiers do not. Simple as that.

As for using a D3 modem with a standard D2/D1.1 tier: If there were any advantages to help congestion, etc. using a D3 modem with these tiers, Comcast would be leasing them now.
--
Write me up a 125.......I Can't Drive 55 »redrocker.com/ »cabowabo.com/

no1fatality

reply to no1fatality

Well I definitely see the arguments from both sides concerning whether or not to purchase a D3 modem. The last thing I want to do now is spend money when I don't have to. I will purchase a a D3 modem when it is necessary or the prices have gone down. Thanks for all your help!

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI

Or pay the rental fee. 1 year = $36.00

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Johkal

Who says they aren't going to be? Give it a few years. D3 is still new in many markets, if even out at all.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to usa2k

said by usa2k:

Or pay the rental fee. 1 year = $36.00

Which might the best way to try one out. If you really notice a difference, you can buy one then.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal

said by Johkal:

Debate what?

As it has been stated: only the 22/5 & 50/10 tiers require a D3 modem. All other present tiers do not. Simple as that.

As for using a D3 modem with a standard D2/D1.1 tier: If there were any advantages to help congestion, etc. using a D3 modem with these tiers, Comcast would be leasing them now.
Exactly.
I honestly doubt that I will be able to afford the $62.95 it will cost for the D3 speeds, so my Motorola SB5100 will have to stay in service.
There is no logical reason for me to buy(or rent) a D3 modem... is there?
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

*chuckles* loaded question bud.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9

What the heck are you saying? I'm getting a headache.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

*chuckles* loaded question bud.
Not at all.
See, I bought my SB5100 5 1/2 years ago and since it will do fine with the service I currently can afford... I will have to keep it in service.

Do you think Comcast is going to reduce pricing on the D3 services?
I don't.

So, until Comcast reduces prices, or I come into some more money... D3 aint happening.
No D3, no need for a D3 modem... right?
--

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

Wasn't questioning that.
You said there was no logical reason to rent/buy a D3 modem broadly, but I was citing that there are always reasons, just there may not be a reason for you in particular to require the D3 modem at this time. There are reasons for others to though, such as if they have the service, and as posted in other threads, the congestion reasons.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

I was responding to Johkal.

But since you want an explaination - Broadly, meaning the majority of Comcast customers and not *US* speed freaks - no! There is no real need to buy or rent a D3 modem.

If the majority of people will never want to pay past the $42.95(bundled price) then there is no reason for having a D3 modem - is there?

Oh, BTW, I did state *me*... so I don't know where you got broadly from.
--

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Didn't know if "me" was you yourself or "me" as in you were speaking as the general consumer.

No worries

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

1 edit

2 recommendations

said by Mike Wolf:

Didn't know if "me" was you yourself or "me" as in you were speaking as the general consumer.

No worries
Can apply either way.
There is no need for D3 equipment if D3 is not going to be used. By me or anyone else.

Regardless of D3 availability, it is backwards compatable with D2 so *my* SB5100 will keep right on cruising.
Same applies to everyone else that has no need or want for higher speed/priced service.

Maybe, if Comcast does some creative upgrades *AT NO ADDITIONAL COST*, then a D3 modem may be prudent.
Only if or when(LOL!) Comcast does these creative upgrades, or a customer wants the D3 service, should anyone be recommending the purchase of a new modem.
--

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

I disagree and have posted quite a bit on my stance, but lets let say we're both right and put it behind us.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

said by Mike Wolf:

I disagree and have posted quite a bit on my stance, but lets let say we're both right and put it behind us.
Your stance is not the only one though friend.
The network is doing fine with single channel customers and there are no problems - currently or looming.
--

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits

I agree but we've gotten way off topic. If we're going to continue to discuss this ("this" being whatever we were discussing to cause us to go off topic) we should move it either to PM or here
»Is the DOCSIS 3 rollout complete in your area? Post here.

Now.. back on topic

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21

1 edit
reply to no1fatality

no1fatality See Profile, since this is your thread, I have to ask, "Have your questions been answered satisfactorily?"

It is a little bit hard to tell with all the tit for tatting going on in here. Maybe you other guys could take that off line now, please.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

no1fatality

1 recommendation

said by sortofageek:

no1fatality See Profile, since this is your thread, I have to ask, "Have your questions been answered satisfactorily?"
Yes, it has - more than I needed, but yes. Thank you all for your input.

myosh

join:2001-05-03
Cupertino, CA
reply to no1fatality

I don't mean to dig up an old thread but I'm considering a switch from DSL to Comcast HSI. I plan to go with the standard level of service (12/2 I think) but I do not have a modem and I would want to buy one if I did decide to get the service. With all that said, would you guys recommend getting a DOCSIS 3 modem or buy a less expensive DOCSIS 2 modem? D3 modems run about $90 at the local stores.

veldy

join:1999-08-04
Minneapolis, MN
reply to usa2k

I had the Mot6120 for about 45 days and noticed a little flakiness from time to time; when it got cold at night, it would cut out for a few seconds if I was uploading [i.e. sending processed photo images for printing was impossible on cold nights]. I thought my line was bad, but one day, the modem quit working altogether. I had them put my 5120 (I own that one) back online in the meantime until they could roll a truck and they replaced the 6120. It has been great ever since. Yesterday, I noticed 8Mbps download and less than 1Mbps upload .... I rebooted the modem after rebooting my router didn't do it [rebooted my router again after that] and now things are back to normal. So, uptime on the modem was a couple of months without a glitch until one instance [and it wasn't an outage].

What I am trying to say is that I would wait on buying a modem until the price comes down ... if I had purchased the SB6120, I could have been out the cash [I believe it was actually in the warranty period assuming 90 days from Motorola]. When I see the price drop to about $75 and haven't had any additional issues with my rental, I will buy a modem, but ONLY if it supports 8-channel bonding DOCSIS 3.0 as eventually they will have to support this and I would like the longest life possible out of the modem. My 5120 lasted about 3 years I think and it still works fine and I keep it for backup.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Well the 6120 has a newer firmware out to suppostly fix the dropout issues, but i cant comfirm it because i have only had the modem since yesterday. But i can say with my service it boosted my upload speeds almost double, But i didnt notice any increase with the DL speeds, maybe even alittle decrease. Anyways if your like me i will deal with alittle dl slowdown for a better upload speeds, since i was stuck with a 1.9mb up speed and now im at 3.5mb up or more.

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI

said by lilstone87:

... only had the modem since yesterday.
Purchased or rental?