Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

1 recommendation

reply to Logan 5

Re: REboot... REboot....REboot.

said by Logan 5:

- Batman:
The Dark Knight corrected an imbalance that has been growing since the 2nd Batman movie.
»www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/
I generally disliked the Batman movies up to the last 2. which IMO made Batman a damn good movie again, with TDK being the best.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to Logan 5

I'm not a big fan of reboots/remakes but I thought the last Hulk movie was good. And the last 2 Batman movies were very good. The original with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson was also very good.

I can't think of any others that I really liked, but I'm workin' on it.

Edit: Doh! Battlestar Galactica, my second favorite TV show ever, was a reboot/remake. I minimized the browser, saw my "BSG Last Supper" wallpaper, and remembered.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
reply to Logan 5

Mark Wahlberg, or Charlton Heston?

Planet Of The Apes
»www.imdb.com/title/tt0133152/

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Logan 5

Making this a sticky for a while....seems to have touched a nerve

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Logan 5

IMO, there has been 1 case of a TV show based on a movie being better then the movie.

Well maybe 2.

Alien Nation the movie was ok. Alien nation the TV series was able to go a bit further and explore more in its run.

Highlander the movie and Highlander the series. The first highlander movie was great, the rest should not have been made. The series at least stuck to the premise of the movie.

Buffy the movie and buffy the series. The series is how the creator had wanted it to go, not the way the movie went. The series addressed teen issues [from what I read about it from the creator of the series].

But ya, the reboot craze is wearing a tad thin. Next thing you know they'll try remaking Rocky Horror picture show, lol... as if they could.
--
Omne initium est difficile

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY

I saw Buffy The Movie. I think Kristy Swanson was the lead. The TV show was much, much better.

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-25
Austin, TX
kudos:7
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

Next thing you know they'll try remaking Rocky Horror picture show, lol... as if they could.
Yes.... They can.

»www.variety.com/article/VR111798···=13&cs=1

»news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainmen···9471.stm
--
Check out the Dungeon Runners Site & Forums!
Download & play the game for free!

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium
join:2002-09-03
Smithfield, NC
reply to seaquake

said by seaquake:

Not sure if they're reboots or just remakes:
The difference between a reboot and a remake is somewhat nebulous, but to me a reboot steals the characters and changes the story, while a remake sticks mostly to the original story.
--
The law of supply and demand: The fewer people controlling the supply, the more they can demand

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

said by MrMoody:

said by seaquake:

Not sure if they're reboots or just remakes:
The difference between a reboot and a remake is somewhat nebulous, but to me a reboot steals the characters and changes the story, while a remake sticks mostly to the original story.
Yeah, quite a blurry line there as something more significant than characters has to change in order to even think about remaking a movie.

Just thought of another one while sitting here: Knight Rider. Yeah, TV series, but they tried rebooting it. Unfortunately, I think they were on the verge of figuring out the right character dynamics in the final few episodes before it was canned.

As for BSG, I do like the original (every Saturday at 9pm on RTN) but the remake is certainly more riveting. IMOHO, that's one that they certainly got right.

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX

1 edit

Hulu has all the original BSG from '79 available for free streaming via their site....

They also have a fair selection of Anime & Sci-Fi there as well...

I recommend using the Hulu Desktop application for viewing....

»www.hulu.com/labs/hulu-desktop

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to captokita

said by captokita:

Since we're talking stinking piles of reboots, how about...

Godzilla? Now, THAT was a steaming pile of hell.

»www.imdb.com/title/tt0120685/
Yes, I agree. Another one is King Kong (I don't know about the one Peter Jackson made) and the TV series Bionic Woman. Those two was a pile of manure.
--
Yo te digo, el mundo esta jodido

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

Peter Jackson's King Kong wasn't that bad, just a little long. The special effects were great and Naomi Watts played a good damsel in distress.
Bionic Woman was ok, it looked like it was getting a little better as the show went on. Plus Katee Sackhoff was in it.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

GTJiga
06 GT
Premium
join:2002-02-02
Azle, TX
reply to seaquake

said by seaquake:

As for Alien, I've only seen 3 and 4 in their entirety. I've not gotten through 1 nor 2....just didn't get into them for some reason. Say 3 in the theater with some friends and I don't remember why I watched 4.
What!?!?! 1 and 2 are what made Alien(s) what it is. 3 and 4 were craptastic ones.

said by Logan 5:

One more:

- Lost In Space
All I can say is....ugh it Stars Matt LeBlanc who went on to fame as Joey on Friends... that should be enough right there..
»www.imdb.com/title/tt0120738/
I thought he did fine in his role. Who cares where he came from.... Just like David Schwimmer who played as Capt. Herbert Sobel in Band of Brothers. My wife watched Friends a lot and pointed out he was from that show.

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD
reply to Logan 5

Now you have a show (BSG) which was rebooted and subsequently another movie, rumored to be based on the original show (not the reboot) is due in 2011: »www.imdb.com/title/tt1383701/

I don't have IMDB pro so I don't know any of the nitty-gritty details.

Yeah, Jiga, I've never watched 1 and 2. I started 1 VOD a year or so ago and got caught up in something else and turned it off. I've seen bits of the second one, but that's it.

I just saw Blade Runner and Animal House for the first time this year....I'm just missing out on certain classics.

GTJiga
06 GT
Premium
join:2002-02-02
Azle, TX

said by seaquake:

Yeah, Jiga, I've never watched 1 and 2. I started 1 VOD a year or so ago and got caught up in something else and turned it off. I've seen bits of the second one, but that's it.

I just saw Blade Runner and Animal House for the first time this year....I'm just missing out on certain classics.
1 and 2 were by far the best, imo. 2 was great with Bill Paxton, "Game over man! Game over!". Love that line.

Ahh, Blade Runner, such a great classic. Just watched it again about 2 months ago. You should check out Supernova »www.imdb.com/title/tt0134983/

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY

Aliens was more action-oriented with the introduction of the Marines to combat the Aliens. Bill Paxton was great in the movie.

Boricua
Premium
Sacramuerto
reply to Logan 5

The Taking of Pelham 1, 2, 3 with Denzel Washington is coming out real soon. I can't say if it's good or not, but definitely should not have been made.
--

mech1164
I'll Be Back

join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

1 edit
reply to Rook008

said by Rook008:

Aliens was more action-oriented with the introduction of the Marines to combat the Aliens. Bill Paxton was great in the movie.
"GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER!!!!"

Love that line.

Jiga, didn't see you comment I soo agree as you can see.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

I need to see this movie again soon.
Warning: Some bad language within:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNCLc13zk1E

Boricua
Premium
Sacramuerto
reply to mech1164

My favorite line is from Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) when she's about to battle the queen. "Leave her alone, you BITCH!!!"
--

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium
Smithfield, NC

Whirrr-CLONK ... whirrr-CLONK ...

What follows is one of the best SF action set pieces in cinema history.

Pulled off WITHOUT CGI.

And on the topic at hand, Alien vs Predator was a double reboot and about as dumb as you'd expect.
--
The law of supply and demand: The fewer people controlling the supply, the more they can demand

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to me1212

said by me1212:

I too dislike reboots, and we are not alone.
(youtube clip)
it has a few bad words.

And space balls got a reboot, in the form a cartoon on G4.
ROFL! I had not seen this one.

Foamy deserves a star in hollywood. He is an epic member of the scene.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

That foamy vid came out like two or 3 weeks ago. I think it is the most recent Foamy vid.

Any way, Foamy FTW! His videos were the first youtube play list i ever made.

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX
reply to Boricua

said by Boricua:

The Taking of Pelham 1, 2, 3 with Denzel Washington is coming out real soon. I can't say if it's good or not, but definitely should not have been made.
Concur. Just from seeing the ads about it, I think there's no way this is going to live up to the original.
--
"The trouble with computers, of course, is that they are very sophisticated idiots." - Doctor Who (from Robot)

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX

1 edit
reply to Logan 5

Ed. Since we've gone slightly Ot... why not...

Shaft.

The Sam Jackson remake from 2000 IMHO wasn't quite up to snuf...

»www.imdb.com/title/tt0162650/

Don't mess with Richard Roundtree....... He's the King of blaxploitation movies from the 70's

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX
reply to Logan 5

I found a list of the 20 most anticipated movies of 2010......

MANY of them would be considered 'reboots' and while not sci-fi, fantasy or horror, do deserve to be discussed.

Source: »coedmagazine.com/2009/06/09/the-···of-2010/

May be NSFW if you click on the banners so be warned....

Boricua
Premium
Sacramuerto

said by Logan 5:

MANY of them would be considered 'reboots' and while not sci-fi, fantasy or horror, do deserve to be discussed.

Damn, websense went off . I guess I'll have to wait til I get home .
--

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to Logan 5

Robocop just wouldn't be the same without that 80s feel to it.

Boricua
Premium
Sacramuerto
reply to Logan 5

said by Logan 5:

Now that I finally see the list, The A-Team looks like that will be a major bomb.
--

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium
Smithfield, NC
reply to sivran

said by sivran:

Robocop just wouldn't be the same without that 80s feel to it.
What really makes that movie for me is the social satire, in fact the whole thing is satire. I'll bet the reboot totally forgets that.
--