share rss forum feed

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium
join:2002-09-03
Smithfield, NC
reply to GTJiga

Re: REboot... REboot....REboot.

Another non-SF reboot spotted: Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law as Holmes and Watson.
--
CO2 is not a pollutant. It feeds the starving.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to Logan 5
Just found out yesterday The Wolfman is being...rebooted?
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to MrMoody
said by MrMoody:

Another non-SF reboot spotted: Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law as Holmes and Watson.
Love the actors, love Holmes but from the previews it's obvious that the Holmes character has been completely subverted to make a period-piece, buddy-cop, action flick -- how's that for genre-bending?

Will be checking it out anyways... sigh.

RockCake
Premium
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Logan 5
ANOTHER remake, Clash of the Titans:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcBNHZEiX0g

--
"Come, come Maurice. What is a simple bite on the buttocks among friends?"

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium
Smithfield, NC
That actually looks good, although it could easily not be.

RockCake
Premium
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA
I just hope they don't go overboard with flashy special effects, since so much is possible with CGI.
I guess I'm just too much a fan of the old-school Harryhausen-effects
--
"Come, come Maurice. What is a simple bite on the buttocks among friends?"

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium
Smithfield, NC
said by RockCake:

I guess I'm just too much a fan of the old-school Harryhausen-effects
A one-of-a-kind effects legend. According to IMDB, they tried to get Harryhausen to consult on the new one, but he adamantly refused. The guy is 89 years old. That could be an indication that they want to be true to his vision, though.

They could make the CGI look exactly like stop-motion if they wanted to, but obviously they're not going that way.

Personally I'm looking forward to it, there just aren't enough monster fights in movies these days, outside of the ridiculous Transformers.
--
Anthropogenic climate change has been debunked

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to MrMoody
said by MrMoody:

That actually looks good, although it could easily not be.
Good or bad I want to see it,..!!!

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
reply to RockCake
Looks kind of interesting. But in comparing the 1981 vs the 2010 casts, I can't decide yet if the prominence of the cast of the new comes close to that of the old.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

Boricua
Premium
Sacramuerto
reply to Octavean
said by Octavean:

Good or bad I want to seedownload it,..!!!
Fix it for myself .
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

marco
Premium
join:2001-09-14
reply to Logan 5
I just want to say that I saw Sherlock Holmes and it was much better than I expected.
His character is more physical, which is uncharacteristic, but because his actions are all rooted in his logic I felt it worked really well. So much so that I like this 'new' Holmes much better.
The only problem is I felt it could have been a little shorter, one scene in particular could have been cut-out and the whole film would have been gold.
Worth watching.
--

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium
Smithfield, NC
said by marco:

I just want to say that I saw Sherlock Holmes and it was much better than I expected.
His character is more physical, which is uncharacteristic, but because his actions are all rooted in his logic I felt it worked really well.
Sounds an awful lot like Batman without the masks.
--
Logical fallacy #237: Any change is always better than no change.

marco
Premium
join:2001-09-14
I wouldn't equate Batman with Sherlock Holmes, so I must have failed at describing it.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
Batman first appeared in DC Detective Comics in 1939. He was often referred to as “The Batman” but also later as “Detective”. There was a huge investigation component to the character and he wasn’t all about beating the snot out of his adversaries while donning a cape and mask.

Therefore I’d say your descriptive skills are fine and MrMoody doesn’t seem too far off either.

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

1 edit
reply to Logan 5
The reboot of Clash Of The Titans looks like it might be good, though I might wait to go see it in a theater until I've seen some reviews. It's due out this coming Friday.
--
"The trouble with computers, of course, is that they are very sophisticated idiots." - Doctor Who (from Robot)
Expand your moderator at work

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Doctor Four

Re: REboot... REboot....REboot.

I thought it was ok. While I can hardly remember the "original" movie from 1981, I remember it being better than this one. Weird, huh?

For an action movie it was pretty good, though it dragged some in the middle. The last half hour, from the beginning of the fight in Medusa's Temple on, was pretty good. The suicide bomber Djin was kind of corny, some of the dialog seemed out of place, I don't remember Medusa being sexy, and I remember Pegasus as being a white horse.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Boricua
Premium
Sacramuerto
Meh, I'm looking for a real good copy (cam) off a torrent to watch and delete. I've already seen the prelim reviews on this movie, don't want to waste my money. But am looking forward to Nightmare.. opens later this month.
--

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
I saw the "Imagine TS", it was pretty good.

GTJiga
06 GT
Premium
join:2002-02-02
Azle, TX
reply to Logan 5
A Nightmare on Elm Street reboot
»www.imdb.com/title/tt1179056/

Kind of sci-fi I guess since it involves dreams and junk.

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-25
Austin, TX
kudos:7
reply to Logan 5
Yup... the "re-imagined" Nightmare on Elm Street looks pretty cool....

Hope Robert Englund has some kinda cameo in it... He deserves it for his work in the original 7 (or was it 8) movies.

On a side note, I can't believe this thread's survived almost a year as a sticky...

Guess it really did bring out some memorable discussions didn't it...

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

2 edits
reply to Logan 5
I just read that they are remaking
Judge Dredd.. in 3d.
»www.newsinfilm.com/2010/05/12/ju···irector/

»www.imdb.com/title/tt1343727/

»scifiwire.com/2010/05/its-the-la···dd-r.php

Also Fright Night is getting rebooted:
»www.imdb.com/title/tt1438176/

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX
Lol... whenever I hear the name Judge Dredd, I ALWAYS think of the Sly Stallone version:

"Eye Yam Duh Law"....

This one looks like a good concept but will wait and see if they come out with a non 3D version... Not everyone can see 3D correctly, and I'm not about to plunk down a premium over a regular ticket price just to get a migraine headache from a 3D movie...

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
reply to Logan 5
I just saw on imdb.com that a remake of "Poltergeist" is scheduled for 2013.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to Logan 5
I read somewhere (televisionary blog probably) that ABC is toying with a reboot of Alias. None of the original actors are expected to be in it, and they're thinking of staying away from the whole prophecy bit.

Frankly, I liked the original well enough that I'm not sure I'd like a reboot. Why not just come up with another spy/action series -- that'd work

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Logan 5
How long before the "Mr. Ed" reboot? It's got a talking animal. Just slather on some type of environmental, green, save the animals message and kids will eat it up. Happy Meals toys and collectible glasses at your local McDonalds.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

Boricua
Premium
Sacramuerto
said by juilinsandar:

...collectible glasses at your local McDonalds.
With chromium or something else.
--

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX
reply to juilinsandar
Don't forget to order the new "extra" mercury fillet-o-fish sandwich... Make's 'em McTasty!!

ksharp25

join:2010-09-24
Middletown, PA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to Logan 5
Well its been mentioned previously in this post, but, a reboot is a total new story or origin, etc. A remake is just a new version or spin on an accepted story-line. Subtle difference? Sure. But a difference non-the-less.

Now with that said, Hollywood sources have actually stated why some properties are being rebooted. In the case of comic book movies, its because the comic books themselves have been rebooted. Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, Hulk, Iron Man, etc were all written in the 50s-60s. In some cases 40s or earlier (preliminary nerd rage flame defense) depending on property. A lot of super heros from DC and Marvel were rebooted in comic form in the late 60s to "modernize" the character, evironment, culture and events closer to the actual world environment of the 60s themselves to be more relevant to kids of that generation.

Well its been happening again. Since about...2006 or so, many of the super heros are getting fresh reboots in the comics to once again bring them up to speed with todays world. Some of which just came out in the last year AFTER modern movies have been made. Just one example...Spider-Man. After the Toby Maguire film trilogy, Marvel kicked out an all new origin story for Peter Parker to modernize him to todays world and technology for comic readers. Many others are getting the same treatment if they have not already. Iron Man, Hulk, XMen, Superman, Thor, etc. SO that is why a even NEWER Spider-Man reboot movie is in production to release later in 2011.

So despite Iron Man movies, 2 Hulks, and others (like the XMen trilogy) already having modern film versions from 2002-2009; since alot of the comic origin stories just got re-written in the past 2 years or so, get ready...here they come. Gotta milk em till their dry is the current model for Hollywood these days.

Boricua
Premium
Sacramuerto
I saw a ticker on CNN saying "The Incredible Hulk" is being remade. It's probably a reboot, just like "Hawaii Five-O" currently .
--