Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Birolo

join:2005-04-24
Woodstock, GA

1 edit
reply to Mike Wolf

What router is best for DOCSIS 3.0 speeds?

Hi,

I have another question about Docsis 3.0 and the Motorola SB6120. I just installed the modem a couple of days ago and everything went fine. Internet speeds are great.
Now if I want to use my Linksys router WRT54GS I believe will not be able to handle the speeds. Is this correct? If so, what will be the best router to match with the Motorola sb6120 and the Docsis 3.0 speeds?

Thanks for your help.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18

2 recommendations

said by Birolo:

Hi,

I have another question about Docsis 3.0 and the Motorola SB6120. I just installed the modem a couple of days ago and everything went fine. Internet speeds are great.
Now if I want to use my Linksys router WRT54GS I believe will not be able to handle the speeds. Is this correct? If so, what will be the best router to match with the Motorola sb6120 and the Docsis 3.0 speeds?

Thanks for your help.
"g" wireless will achieve 22-24mbps - but that's about it.
For the 22mbps service it will be sketchy - for 50mbps service - no way.

"n" wireless should work ok.

Wired, the WRT series should be fine.
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

Birolo

Woodstock, GA

Thanks dadkins. Any recommendations of linksys 'N' router? There are a few models and I would like to connect my first two computers (wired) and my laptop (wireless) and take 100 % advantage of Docsis 3.0. Maybe someone is using one of this routers and could tell us hi/her experience with it.

Thanks.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

I have no personal experience with "n" wireless - yet...
I will have to let someone else chime in with their personal experience(s) of any/all N wireless.

Since most(all?) new routers have a 100mbps WAN port - any will likely work well.

Glad I could help!
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

brianstretch

join:2001-12-31
Ann Arbor, MI

1 recommendation

reply to Birolo

said by Birolo:

Thanks dadkins. Any recommendations of linksys 'N' router? There are a few models and I would like to connect my first two computers (wired) and my laptop (wireless) and take 100 % advantage of Docsis 3.0. Maybe someone is using one of this routers and could tell us hi/her experience with it.

Thanks.
Linksys WRT310N. Gigabit Ethernet, solid DD-WRT support. I've been happy with mine.

Still waiting for DOCSIS 3 in Michigan (pout)...

Birolo

Woodstock, GA

Thanks brianstretch

I am one click away from buying the WRT320, WRT400, or WRT610. This last one is the most expensive, almost $ 200. The other two around $ 120.00. I will decide soon.

Cjaiceman
Premium,MVM
join:2004-10-12
Parker, CO
kudos:2

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to dadkins

The WRT54G routers, even when hard wired, could only get about 25-27mbps WAN to LAN. They just didn't have enough CPU power to do anything faster. I did overclock mine for a bit and got 29-30, but it got too hot a lot so I went to a PFSense based computer router.

The new WRT models (160N and up) should be ok.
--
Duct tape is like The Force – it has a light side and a dark side, and it binds the Universe together

Cjaiceman
Premium,MVM
Parker, CO

1 edit
reply to Birolo

According to SmallNetBuilder, he would recommend the WRT400 over the WRT320.

WRT400N:
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/···0775/96/

WRT320N:
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/···0795/96/

WRT610N:
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/···0530/96/

This should help with at least a little to dial in more on which router would be best for you.
--
Duct tape is like The Force – it has a light side and a dark side, and it binds the Universe together

Birolo

Woodstock, GA

Thanks Cjaiceman, good links. I am taking a look.

Just to show what I was getting when the modem sb6120 was connected to my computer and when I connected it to the router wrt54gs.

Before

After.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

1 edit
reply to Cjaiceman

Bummer!
I do hit 35mbps during PowerBoost through my WRT54G v8.

Cjaiceman
Premium,MVM
Parker, CO

1 recommendation

Good to know that you can hit that speed on a v8, my v3 and v4 can't hit those speeds, they top out around 24mbps. My friends v6 tops out at about 26mbps, so the v8 might have a slightly faster CPU than the older ones ^_^
--

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

Yeah... just PowerBoost though.

Cjaiceman
Premium,MVM
Parker, CO
reply to Birolo

Thats a limit of the CPU in the router just not being able to route the traffic fast enough.

Cjaiceman
Premium,MVM
Parker, CO

1 recommendation

reply to dadkins

It maybe just powerboost, but it tells me that its fast enough for your current needs, and until you upgrade to something beyond the 22/5 package it should keep working great for you. I wish I could say the same about mine
--

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 edit
reply to Cjaiceman

said by Cjaiceman:

Thats a limit of the CPU in the router just not being able to route the traffic fast enough.
He's using a WRT54GS.

So am I, and I've seen Powerboost bursts to over 60Mbps before..

Cjaiceman
Premium,MVM
Parker, CO

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by EG:

said by Cjaiceman:

He's using a WRT54GS.

So am I, and I've seen Powerboost bursts to over 60Mbps before..
Which version though? If he has a version 6 or older he is running the same 200MHz (or 216MHz) CPU that the version 6 and older WRT54G has, so he has the same bottle neck on the CPU, which is confirmed by his speed test.

dadkins See Profile has a version 8 WRT54G which has only 8MB of RAM (half of the 16MB that the v4 and older have), but a 240MHz CPU, which allows him the faster speed.
--

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

said by Cjaiceman:

Which version though? If he has a version 6 or older he is running the same 200MHz (or 216MHz) CPU that the version 6 and older WRT54G has, so he has the same bottle neck on the CPU, which is confirmed by his speed test.
Mine = Hardware version #2. Firmware version v4.71.1

Oh, I failed to mention that those speeds were via wireless G.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

Click for full size
DD-WRT v24 Micro firmware here.

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

1 recommendation

reply to dadkins

For N routers, pretty much any Linksys N router will do; however, I prefer (if you have wired gigabit clients) the WRT310N (or WRT610N/620N if you also need to attach storage) because they are also gigabit switches.

WRT160N - $79.99
WRT310N - $99.99
WRT610N - $199.99 (the 610N, in addition to supporting gigabit and wireless storage, is also a dual-frequency N router, which means better connectivity and longer range for N clients; however, unless you own a McMansion, you won't outstrip a single-band Linksys N or even G router unless you have cheap USB G/N adapters connected to USB 1.1 ports).

Bang-for-buck N router: Linksys WRT310N. Reasons: for barely more than the WRT160N you can upgrade your wired LAN backbone to gigabit full-duplex (the spread is but $20); if you do a lot of streaming among wired PCs/consoles or host LAN parties, that in and of itself may be worth upgrading, even if you have NO wireless N clients. If you are going with Comcast Ultra, this router makes way too much sense if you have any wireless clients at all (however, you should also upgrade said clients with N adapters).

Bang-for-buck N adapter: Dynex wireless-N USB 2.0 adapter. This "house brand" (of big-box retailer Best Buy) wireless-N adapter has proved itself (to me); I installed two of these as part of an add-on wireless-N network (adding two XP-based desktops; the weaker of the two desktops was replaced with a newer desktop running Vista) centered around the Linksys WRT-310N. Usually you want to have the same brand of adapters as you do router (with a "draft" standard such as N); not the case here. The problem with the weaker desktop was not just the CPU, but the USB 1.1 ports built into the motherboard; the replacement system, in addition to the new OS, also supported USB 2.0. The new desktop is where the old one was, and is running just fine.

Birolo

Woodstock, GA

I always use a wired connection to set the router up and my WRT54GS is the first one, version 1.0 (old).

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Cjaiceman

I have a WRT54GL, but using the Linksys firmware and mostly stock settings. Wireless is disabled (I even removed the antennas). I did see speeds over 30 when Powerboost was wide open. It's now capped at about 15-16. I am on the standard 12/2 plan.

I've heard of heat issues with the Linksys N series. They are tightly sealed and have internal antennas. Several reviews mentioned they ran very hot and often seemed to lock up due to overheating.

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to Birolo

The *admin box* for the LAN should use a wired connection (while it need not be right nest to the router, it is useful when it is) for things like firmware updates.

In the case of the WRT310N, it was a second router, connected in series to an existing (and required) WesTell wired-only DSL router.

Right now, I have a nastier dilemma - I have a laptop that connects wirelessly; the signal strength is good (a wireless-G PC Card adapter solved the connectivity woes), but the bandwidth is awful. (Dial-up awful.) The LIQ (Laptop In Question) is a Gateway YGR series with 512 MB of RAM and running XP Pro (with SP3 and all updates/hotfixes). Would a RAM upgrade (to 1 GB) de-bog things?

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4

More ram should do something to speed it up, but it depends on the processor, as well as how cluttered the hard drive is. When was it last defragmented, formatted, disc cleanup ran, whats its processor speed? Also check the links I posted regarding the bandwidth issue, as it could be related to using G instead of N wirelessly.