GlenQuagmire
Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16
Grand Rapids, MI

GlenQuagmire

Premium Member

2007 Dodge Cailber SXT Stalling

I have a 2007 Dodge Cailber SXT with 1.8L I4 stalling. When the car stalls the fuel gauge goes to empty first and the engine stalls. When it stalls it does not miss fire it just quits. The car restarts just fine. My first thought was that it could be a fuel filter but if it was I would be getting misfires. I and not sure where to look first. The car had 39,000 miles on it so it is off of warranty. Also, the engine light is not on.

cowspotter
join:2000-09-11
Ashburn, VA

cowspotter

That sounds more electrical that fuel filter related. The fuel gauge dropping to empty when it occurs would appear to be a sign that there is something else going on here.
cahiatt
Premium Member
join:2001-03-21
Smyrna, GA

cahiatt to GlenQuagmire

Premium Member

to GlenQuagmire
Sounds like an open ground or poor connection to the fuel pump/sender unit combo. When the open occurs you are losing signal to the fuel level sensor while simultaneously losing power or ground to the fuel pump.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to GlenQuagmire

Premium Member

to GlenQuagmire
I would first look all over under the hood for any wiring issue, too tight harness, or things that don't look right. Then if I saw nothing obvious, I would then crank it up, let it idle and semi-vigorously wiggle each harness under the hood you can safely reach while the engine is running to see if you can get it to cut off.

GlenQuagmire
Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16
Grand Rapids, MI

GlenQuagmire to cahiatt

Premium Member

to cahiatt
It's happened 2 in the last three months so it very intermittent. The car cuts out when the gas gauge goes to empty. When the car is restarted everything is fine.
GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire to Doctor Olds

Premium Member

to Doctor Olds
I think I will try that. I think I will also replace the fuel pump fuse. It's my fiancee car I don't want it stalling on the Interstate or when pulling into traffic.