spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

ISPs are a Business

They are running a business, correct? Businesses have a goal of making money. I don't see the problem here.
Gruesome
join:2007-10-18
Milton, ON

1 recommendation

Gruesome

said by Hazy Arc:

They are running a business, correct? Businesses have a goal of making money. I don't see the problem here.
You're right, a business has the right to make any decision it wants.
Unfortunately we have a duopoly here and choice is limited
However that didn't stop me, after being a Cogeco customer for more than 15 years, I cancelled my Internet and some of my Cable services in protest
Vote with your wallet people, that's all we have
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to Hazy Arc

to Hazy Arc
I agree they should be able to make money, but when it is just to keep their tv money safe(TW's CEO said that was y they were doing meter, but he worded it carefully) or to skrew their costumer I do not like them.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to Hazy Arc

MVM

to Hazy Arc
said by Hazy Arc:

Yes they have the right to raise rates. And people have the right to complain about them. Not only do they get screwed by relatively low caps and expensive overages, but now also rate increases. Hopefully, for their subscribers sake, they don't find additional ways to increase profitslower expenses.

The increase for the "Pro" level of service is a 10% increase. don't you see anything that people might complain about with low caps, high overages, and 10% increases in monthly rates?

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
said by Hazy Arc:

Effective immediately, you are a slave. You will be chained to your workspace, and fed and watered. (Bathroom will be in a can).

After all, they are just out to make money, so there's no problem for you, right?

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
Try reading what a free market is. And then shutup.

Hazy Arc
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc to KrK

to KrK
Hyperbole much?
Hazy Arc

Hazy Arc to Metatron2008

to Metatron2008
said by Metatron2008:

Free Market (Noun): Any market in which trade is unregulated; an economic system free from government intervention.

»en.wiktionary.org/wiki/f ··· e_market

Is this the part where I shut up?

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

said by Hazy Arc:

said by Metatron2008:

Free Market (Noun): Any market in which trade is unregulated; an economic system free from government intervention.

»en.wiktionary.org/wiki/f ··· e_market

Is this the part where I shut up?
Nice picking what you want to read. Try reading the part where a free market isn't a monopoly, and both sellers and buyers argue over the price of goods.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

KrK to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
said by Hazy Arc:

Hyperbole much?
Only on the same scale as yours.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

1 recommendation

Metatron2008

Premium Member

said by KrK:

said by Hazy Arc:

Hyperbole much?
Only on the same scale as yours.
Except mine was never hyperbole.

Seems to me alot of people (Mainly conservatives) like to view the free market as an unregulated market, and CONVIENTLY forget that a free market is one where both parties have a say in price and value.

The people who argue for a deregualted market usually want to use that in their advantage to take a free market and turn it into a monopoly by robbing the consumer of choice, which exists in a free market.

Hazy Arc
Greenwood, SC

1 edit

Hazy Arc to KrK

to KrK
Ok.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

ISps tried this in the 90s until AOL came with a monthly plan.

Like it or not, the consumer makes the choice, and that will be what happens in the end, even if they build their own ISPs.

It amazes me how stupid corporations are run today, completely blind to the fact that pissing a customer off means less customers.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
Exactly. You start hearing terms like "Deregulation" and "Fair" and "Level playing field".... what they actually mean is not that they want a free market at all---- what they want is a market massively tilted in their favor, and with restrictions that benefit the consumers or defend them from monopolistic practices removed.

The companies that call for "de-regulation" are almost always the entrenched players who dominate the market, and what they seek is not a fair market at all but a removal of the rules that prevent them from crushing the competition and keeping them out of the market.

vzw emp
@qwest.net

vzw emp to Hazy Arc

Anon

to Hazy Arc
You don't see a problem with higher prices for less service? Wow. Remind me to never do business with whomever you work for.

Cogeco is probably using the cash to subsidize other areas of their business. Canada is doing well but they are getting destroyed in Europe (read their quarterly/annual reports).
33358088 (banned)
join:2008-09-23

33358088 (banned) to Hazy Arc

to Hazy Arc
said by Hazy Arc:

UUB

5 megabit unlimited = 1600 GB
60GB cap versus 1600
that's a price to value increase of almost 2500% increase in what your getting versus the value.

AND DURING A RECESSION/
the people already doing most of it have the cash to pay overages and such so if this is JUST for them it don't work.

No business can raise rates that MUCH and not expect people on low end of what they download to actually pay more too.

ALL this does is LOSE THEM MONEY.

This is America trying to put the isps into a get people off the net.
Maybe we should drop it entirely and just say stuff you. AND when those idiots realize were still not buying there crap they will go the frak away.

Nothing like penalizing hte poor and disadvantaged i say , KILL EM ALL eh BELL/Cogeco/ROGERS

yup lets just shove em all out on a raft into the artics and be done with it eh.....

Hazy Arc
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

If the businesses made a poor decision (as you claim), then they will fail. That is how it works, right? Why get up in arms if the company is only hurting itself?

sdafsdf
@suddenlink.net

sdafsdf to Metatron2008

Anon

to Metatron2008
you are right, you were using fallacy instead.
Phila213
join:2009-05-02
Ancaster, ON

Phila213 to KrK

to KrK
said by KrK:

Exactly. You start hearing terms like "Deregulation" and "Fair" and "Level playing field".... what they actually mean is not that they want a free market at all---- what they want is a market massively tilted in their favor, and with restrictions that benefit the consumers or defend them from monopolistic practices removed.

The companies that call for "de-regulation" are almost always the entrenched players who dominate the market, and what they seek is not a fair market at all but a removal of the rules that prevent them from crushing the competition and keeping them out of the market.
What an idiotic comment.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

Why is his comment idiotic? Please do enlighten us.
sonicmerlin

sonicmerlin to Hazy Arc

to Hazy Arc
There *is* government intervention. Cable companies are monopolies that are granted franchise rights to areas to be the sole provider in that area. That is hardly a free market.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008 to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
said by Hazy Arc:

If the businesses made a poor decision (as you claim), then they will fail. That is how it works, right? Why get up in arms if the company is only hurting itself?
Probably because bad company decisions put people out of jobs, and cause recessions like todays.

Make all the excuses you want, but your only showing how shortsighted you are.

AturaenAnon
@cgocable.net

AturaenAnon to Metatron2008

Anon

to Metatron2008
Ah yes, the bi-weekly conferences we have to regulate our prices. Truly a balanced system.

When only two service providers exist in an area, those who provide what, in today's world, amounts to an indispensable service: they call the shots, not the consumer. Water companies could charge ten times what they do now and still keep most of their clientele, because people need water. Do you honestly think that those who pay 25 cents to send 0.33kb of data have a say in that rate?

The free market only works in small, isolated communities. We're nation (and global) wide now, governmental regulation is necessary.