join:2003-02-13
Stepford, CA

said by me1212:

I am SO happy my ISP has no cap.
Yet.

jt7

@comcast.net
reply to me1212

i dont really mind a cap as long as it not too low. comcast has a 250 gb cap that is fine with me. even though i play online game everyday i still dont come close to the cap.

phuntism

join:2003-08-01
Manhattan Beach, CA

Comcast's cap exists to prevent people from getting their tv from the internet. You can watch all the youtube vids you want, but if an average single person tried to watch their TV at a any HD quality online, they could bump up against that 250GB cap pretty fast - a family could blow past it in no time. The caps are there to future proof against a scenario where people could drop their tv plans and go internet only.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

The average 720p 41 minute (without commercials) TV show rip is 1GB in size. You're telling me the average person watches 170 hours (7.11 days) of TV a month?

Most consumers will not even download 720p HD content, the average size of the same show at the standard definition is 350MB. That is 731 hours (30 days) of TV a month.

Get realistic here.
--
Xenophase - British Columbia's premier online gaming community.

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1

1 edit

Imagine a service that streams Blu-Ray 1080p videos. If the bandwidth is there, the demand will form, and the service will come to exist.

What about Steam users, who download their games?

Or what about the entire system of online distribution of software?

Microsoft has already announced the availability to download games through their online service.

What happens when the PS3 does the same? Some of these games require dual-layer Blu-ray discs. We're talking up to 50 GB files *per game*.

So yes, there are and *will be* reasons to download more. In fact, reasons that neither I, nor you nor anyone else can think of. It's called *innovation*.

phuntism

join:2003-08-01
Manhattan Beach, CA
reply to pfak

Here's some examples using Comcast's 250GB cap:

Microsoft just announced 1080p streaming over Xbox Live. The required minimum for this service is 8Mbps. So with highly compressed 1080p content, you get 74.5 hours of TV each month.

Blu-Ray's maximum is 40Mbps, so under a worst-case-scenario, you would would have only 15 hours of viewing pleasure each month, (currently Netflix streams at 2.2Mbps).

For reference:
OTA HD is about 15Mbps
OTA SD is about 2.5Mbps
DVD is about 5Mbps

Now add on internet usage, and multiple TVs (ouch!). Then realize, "The average American watches approximately 153 hours of TV every month at home."

So if you pay for cable TV, you can watch all day every day worry free. If you try to stream, you get low limits. The cable companies are starting to cap bandwidth now to protect their future tv incomes.

Of course, if Cogeco actually keeps their extreme policy of high speeds, low caps, and stiff overages, they may be trying to boost short term income too.

(All my bitrates came from google, they should be pretty close. I used base 10 for streaming speeds. 153 hour/month figure is according to Nielsen.)