join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to BBBanditRuR

Re: Raising rates + low caps

said by BBBanditRuR:

The point is, they(Rogers, Comcast, Cogeco, Cox etc...) DO HAVE the capacity, this is simply money grubbing and scaredy-cat tactics to hold on to their TV stuff. (God I love services like Hulu, Netflix, etc...)
Really? Then why are they spending tons of money on SDV, 1GHz plant upgrades, DOCSIS 3.0, node splits, etc? Maybe they have capacity on their long haul networks, but it sure doesn't seem like they have a glut of capacity on the last mile side.

Having said that, I am a fan of flat rate pricing and I think these new schemes are a step backwards.
--
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
Beyond AM. Beyond FM. XM

BBBanditRuR
Dingbits

join:2009-06-02
Parachute, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
Maybe in your area. Maybe you have competition. I'm not saying they aren't spending money. Just not where it needs to be, or in disproportion to their footprint. When I apply for e-rate, and lo-and behold, all I get are resellers of Qwest, is that really an alternative?

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to BillRoland
said by BillRoland:

said by BBBanditRuR:

The point is, they(Rogers, Comcast, Cogeco, Cox etc...) DO HAVE the capacity, this is simply money grubbing and scaredy-cat tactics to hold on to their TV stuff. (God I love services like Hulu, Netflix, etc...)
Really? Then why are they spending tons of money on SDV, 1GHz plant upgrades, DOCSIS 3.0, node splits, etc?
Another 30 HBO HD channels and another 50 HD sports channels, both in premium packages.

yeah_dunno

@76.226.222.x
reply to BillRoland
I think that it's sort of like this:

These are corporations, businesses. As such, their actions don't make sense because it's not one person calling all the shots. There are many different influences involved.

There are influences, perhaps for a lack of a better word, or certain sources of concepts that will push for caps - a certain ideology within the corporation that is acquired and cultivated by certain individuals holding certain conceptual positions.

Then there is the whole upgrading thing, the modernizing thing. A customer is put in the position of having to reconcile the two, and it doesn't make sense. The folks who work at the corporation don't see that, they just carry on brainwashing themselves or whatever.

Obviously, there's going to be more and more push for bandwidth - and eventually, someone who works at the corp is going to discover that money can be made offering content this way. At some point, perhaps, prices in Canada and Europe will drop, and drop, and we'll have to see what happens in the US. Maybe they'll stop these silly things they're doing, maybe other folks will switch, who knows. It's not perfect, in any case.

But anyway, a corporation is never going to behave like a logical individual would. It's just sort of a melting pot of all the different influences of all the different departments or what-not. Customers get to make sense of it all, and it's doesn't really make sense.

Guess it goes to show ya that life isn't perfect.