Zach
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
Saint Louis, MO

zach3

Premium Member

[IE] IE8 Memorized Passwords?

Hello,

I am having some difficulties with IE 8 and the way it does or does not handle my memorized passwords. Every since I have updated to IE 8 I need to enter all of my "User Names" and "Passwords" manually. Prior to the upgrade they were all memorized and all that was necessary was to go to the web site and click on the Log In Button. Sometimes I would need to click in the User Name box for the information to automatically fill in.

Also now it seems that sometimes when I go to a new page and enter a new password IE will ask me if I want to memorize this or not and sometimes it does not???

Has anyone else had this happen or does anyone know what I am doing wrong with my settings??

Thanks,

Zach

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

If I read you correctly ...

Go to Tools >>> Internet Options >>> Content >>> AutoComplete.

Set it up there.
zach3
Zach
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

zach3

Premium Member

Hi Irish,

I forgot to include a screen shot of that window but here it is.

I think that I have that one configured correctly.

Thanks,

Zach

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to zach3

Premium Member

to zach3
Just out of curiosity, what was your previous version of IE?

Are you sure you weren't using some sort of program that autofills your passwords for you (KeePass, Roboform, Norton, etc.)?

After you fill in the User Name and Password on a site, does IE8 remember it? If so, you may just have to go through the process of entering each one this one last time and then, hopefully, IE8 will remember them.

I know this doesn't help you, but I had no such problems when I went to IE8 from IE7.
Oregonian

Oregonian

Premium Member

PS Are you using CCleaner? If so, here's a link that might help...

»www.eggheadcafe.com/conv ··· 34215946
zach3
Zach
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

zach3

Premium Member

Good Morning Oregonian,

I was previously using IE-7 with Windows Live Tool Bar 3.01. The tool bar had a feature that allowed password memorization. When I went to IE-8 I also updated the Windows Live Tool Bar to the latest version which I am unable to find at this moment because it doesn't have a ? About to click on quickly. The newer version of the Tool Bar does not offer the password feature.

I also downloaded a tool to look for my passwords, IE PassView, and it shows all of my passwords still in place.

Also CC could be an issue. I will start with CC and see if that takes care of the situation and report back later.

Looks like I made too many changes all at one time before discovering the problem. My fault because I know better!

Thanks very much for the lead!!

Zach
zach3

1 edit

zach3

Premium Member

Re: [IE] Updated - IE8 Memorized Passwords?

Well here is what I did to partially resolve the issue.

I went in to Internet Options and removed the check mark from the Auto Logon box and placed it into the "Prompt for user name and password" boxes in all instances of the Security Settings.

Then I went to the AutoComplete Settings and removed the check marks from Forms, User names and passwords on forms, and the Ask me before saving passwords boxes.

Closed out the Internet Options set up tool and re-booted the machine.

Then I opened up the Internet Options tool once again and re-set all of the settings back and re-booted once again.

Now I have most of my passwords back and working except for the ones associated with the most secure web sites like my bank & trading accounts. Those are obviously better secured by some method.

Previously with the older version of Windows Live Tool Bar's Password Manager, I was able to save all of my passwords and they would manage to get around all forms of secure web sites that I use.

So I guess I will just need to remember 6 or 8 passwords until I can find something that will act like the old system.

Thanks for listening and the help.

Zach

By the way I also ran CCleaner and it did not delete any of my passwords using the default settings.