spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jwindang
join:2009-06-02

1 edit

jwindang

Road Runner Texas - DFW Random Modem disconnects

Hello there everyone! So I've been having random modem disconnects for a couple weeks now with my Road Runner. A tech has been out here once, said it was just my modem replaced it and of course half hour later it was off again... During the weekend it happens anytime of the day but during the week it seems to start having issues at or around 7pm. Some how I got it in my mind that it could simply be power levels so I went out and got a signal amplifier.
When my connection is working without the amp the downstream power level is @ -1 dBmV
When it drops and I hook up the amp i have it turned almost all the way down and the modem shows a power level of around 4 dBmV... Now comes the interesting part later on in the evening the connection will drop with the amplifier connected, at this point if I disconnect the amplifier I have a connection again.
So with my limited knowledge of this could it be that the signal comes back up for whatever reason then the power level is too high at this point?
The whole thing just seems strange to me... Though I might could find some insight here while i wait until saturday when they make it out here again.

editing:
I do have a question in here somewhere lol.
So could it be that my levels are dropping way low and the amp helps then when the line comes back up to normal the amp is taking the level too high?
If that does sound like a valid explanation, does anyone have anythoughts what the root issue might be? not that I personally can do anything about it but I am curious.

Thanks!

coffaro
Moonie
Premium Member
join:2003-07-05
Arlington, TX

coffaro

Premium Member

pm me your mac address

larrykjr
@rr.com

larrykjr to jwindang

Anon

to jwindang
Click for full size
The signal may be flucuating with the temperature. I'm having problems with mine right now. Also in DFW. I'm sure my signal has been bad here alwys, but never noticed it in the winter since it wasn't bad enough for the modem to completely lose connection. This last week or so, I've been having problems again and did some researching and learned how to check the signal levels. Believe it or not, during the mid-day my incoming drops sometimes to -19.3, and thats connected directly to the wall. I had to take it off the splitter because it will not even connect during the mid day, however as it cools, signal level improves (mine only gets back to -16 though). I've been keeping a chart of it every 5 minutes. Time Warner is coming this saturday to take a look.

Here is the chart: »lkeeler.com/myDBMV.jpg as you know, today and yesterday where a little cooler with the rain, so the signal didn't get as bad and Sunday and Monday were in the 90's.

7pm is usually when it starts increasing with me. It probably is going too high. From what I read -15 to 15 is within specs, with 0 being the optimum. I wouldn't even use an amp for -1.