spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Travisimo1

join:2004-09-19
Moline, IL

[IL] Advice on switching from AT&T to Mediacom?

I'm in Moline, IL and currently have AT&T's "Pro" DSL, which is 3mbps down. I tried their "Elite" which is 6mbps but had too many problems because I was on the borderline for distance. So I'm looking to possibly switch to Mediacom for faster Internet. I have a few questions, though:

1) According to the Mediacom website, both 8mbps and the 20mbps Max services are available in my area. However, it appears that the Max service has a special installation requirement? Is this related to the wiring or what? Do I have to get the "home networking" hardware to have the Max service, or can I still use my existing router and network (I have an Airport Extreme)? I really don't want to use any of Mediacom's hardware other than the modem itself - is that possible with the Max service?

2) I currently have Directv and do not want to switch to Mediacom for TV, so I'm looking at either getting the Internet service ala carte, or bundling it just with the phone service. It wasn't clear from the website what the difference in price is?

3) I also did not find any information on upload speeds for either the 8 or the 20mbps services?

4) And finally, any suggestions, warnings, or recommendations before I make my decision?

Thanks!

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
#1 The network hardware for Max service is not required. Just a compatible cable modem.

#2 If you don't have Mediacom TV I am pretty sure you pay $15 more for internet. You will get a phone discount when bundled with internet.

#3 8/512 20/2

#4 I would try to get a new customer discount even though you won't be getting TV. Their best discounts are with all 3 services bundled.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

Travisimo1

Moline, IL
Thanks for the quick reply. Regarding the pricing, it says:

"With digital cable OR (emphasis mine) phone service, Mediacom Online Max including home networking is just... $59.95/mo".

To me that sounds like the Max rate is $59.95 if I get *either* phone OR digital cable with it. Sound right? Here's the page I'm referring to:

»www.mediacomcc.com/internet_max.html

So if I don't want the "home networking" hardware, will I just get charged the normal installation rate instead of the more expensive install?

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
That could be correct about the internet and phone bundle price. I just don't know for sure.

Again, I am unsure what your installation fee will be. I believe it should be the standard install fee. Try to get it waived when you order the service.

tsduke
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA
reply to Travisimo1
I have phone and internet only with Mediacom. Having any service with HSI will get you the multiple service discount on the HSI.

Phone $39.99
HSI: $45.95

My total bill with no special discounts is $91.06.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
reply to Travisimo1
You can also get the basic TV service for $20-$25 depending on the area instead of paying extra $15 for no additional services.

Travisimo1

Moline, IL
reply to tsduke
Thanks for the confirmation on the pricing discount.

Travisimo1

Moline, IL
Well, I got off the phone with a very nice lady at Mediacom and was pleasantly surprised. I ordered both the Online Max and phone service and did not have to pay an installation fee for either one of them! And I do get the discounted price of $40 for phone and $60 for the Max service. I'm delaying the phone swithover for a couple of weeks though to make sure I like the service before canceling AT&T.

Thanks to all for the info.

big red9

join:2009-05-11
Albany, GA
reply to Travisimo1
I got a question about the VIP pack, how much does it cost after the 12 month period? I know each is 29.99 for the first 12 months but I want to know what it is after that.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
In my market I am paying $46 for internet, $65 for expanded analog (no set top boxes) basic. If I had phone I would pay a regular price of $30. My rough total would be $141. I rent no boxes or DVRs. I have no premium channels or HD channels. If you still have several months to go on the discount plan, the regular rates could still be jacked higher than what they are today.

Your mileage may vary. If you want a more precise cost estimate, reply with all of your TV service features and an inventory of your TV service equipment.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

lotusracer
Premium
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Travisimo1
said by Travisimo1:

I'm in Moline, IL According to the Mediacom website, both 8mbps and the 20mbps Max services are available in my area. any suggestions, warnings, or recommendations before I make my decision?

Thanks!
I'm in Moline and VERY seldom ever see anything over 4500 out of my 8000 download speed.

Remember, it's only "as fast as" 8mbps. Nothing is guaranteed.

wardfan

join:2007-08-14
Moline, IL
said by lotusracer:

said by Travisimo1:

I'm in Moline, IL According to the Mediacom website, both 8mbps and the 20mbps Max services are available in my area. any suggestions, warnings, or recommendations before I make my decision?

Thanks!
I'm in Moline and VERY seldom ever see anything over 4500 out of my 8000 download speed.

Remember, it's only "as fast as" 8mbps. Nothing is guaranteed.
I live in Moline also and generally get 17m+ of my 20m service, probably 95% of the time.

Travisimo1

Moline, IL
reply to lotusracer
Interesting... the two different perspectives on speeds in Moline. Well, thankfully, I've kept my Internet service with AT&T for now and will evaluate Mediacom's Max service for a couple of weeks before I decide what to keep.

If I don't get WELL over 8mbps consistently with the Max service, then obviously I won't keep it. I realize speeds can vary, but I do believe there is a reasonable expectation and that's what I'll be looking for. Getting the Internet portion installed this Saturday, delaying the phone changeover for a couple of weeks so I can keep AT&T until I'm sure.

Thanks again for all the input!

lotusracer
Premium
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by Travisimo1:

Interesting... the two different perspectives on speeds in Moline.
My comment was not really to complain as I am generally satisfied with my service, more to make sure you know your results may vary.

Travisimo1

Moline, IL
Sure, I understand. I'll certainly not be satisfied with 4.5 if that's all I'll get with Mediacom (especially if I'm paying for Max). Scratch that, even if I went with the 8m plan and only consistently got 4.5, I would probably just cancel and stick with my DSL because it's considerably cheaper and nearly as fast as that.

One of the reasons I'm looking for faster Internet is the ability to stream 1080p this fall when it becomes available on the Xbox 360. Microsoft announced 1080p movie and TV streaming at E3 but reports are coming in that it'll require an 8mbps Internet connection. Just one reason, of course, but a pretty cool prospect imo.

BrotherCool

join:2009-06-02
Duenweg, MO
Advice...

Don't.

mestizo

@mchsi.com
reply to Travisimo1
I think you'll be happy with the Internet. Mediacom programming and cable interface still sucks IMO.

I had the $65 discount for expanded cable and 8mb internet for a year. It went up to $100 last month, so I'm switching to Satellite for TV.

Travisimo1

Moline, IL
said by mestizo :

I think you'll be happy with the Internet. Mediacom programming and cable interface still sucks IMO.

I had the $65 discount for expanded cable and 8mb internet for a year. It went up to $100 last month, so I'm switching to Satellite for TV.
Yeah, there's no way I'm switching to their cable TV service.

Here's another question... do they have to do anything special for the Max installation (regarding the wiring or hookups) and do you need a special modem?

I know with my DSL service I was unable to use the fastest rate AT&T offered (the Elite @ 6mbps) because my attenuation and signal noise were borderline even after running a separate line from the NID. So I was wondering if the cable line has to be really good for the Max service with Mediacom and what types of things they can do to improve it if it's not?

wardfan

join:2007-08-14
Moline, IL
No it uses the same modem and all they do is send the modem a new config file, 2 minutes and you're done, they can actually do it over the phone.

Travisimo1

Moline, IL
Well, my worst nightmare has come true! The technician came today to install my new Internet service. I could tell right off the bat he wasn't very knowledgeable, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt and remained cordial.

Since I already had a cable line running into the install room, I think he thought he was going to be in and out quickly. He also assumed I already had digital cable and wouldn't have to go out on the pole to turn on service (he was wrong). I could tell he was already frustrated when he had to drive around back and get on the pole.

When he came into the house to get everything working, he was frustrated again because I have a Mac and an Airport Extreme router. Suffice it to say, he could not get it set up with this hardware, so I told him we could use my other computer (a PC win WinXP) and bypass the router for now and just do a direct connect between the modem and PC.

Finally, he was able to get to the Walledgarden site to register the modem. It wasn't working very well though... kept timing out and he had to keep refreshing the page. Finally got it registered and did some speed tests. Using the Chicago server at Speakeasy, he was getting about 10-11m down and almost 2m up. Good upload, not great download for Max service but I was optimistic.

I told him the connectors and wiring outside the house were pretty old because I haven't had cable for years, so he reluctantly replace the two connectors outside the house. Came back in, same speed.

For one thing, the modem that he brought is not the one I should be getting. He brought the Internet-only modem (the 60678EU) even though I'll be getting the phone service installed in 2 weeks. So he basically told me once they come out with the other modem, my speed should go up.

So he left in a hurry while it was still working. Then the problems began. The modem kept losing sync and the Internet would not work. I double-checked all connections, powered the modem on/off many times, but yet the modem will not stay in sync. When powered up, the sync light will come on, but then goes back off within a minute. My PC says it cannot acquire an IP address. After the sync light goes off, the only other lights that are on are the Power light, the Ethernet light, the Receive light blinks, and the Ready light blinks. Sync light is off.

It's now about 6 hours after he left with no change. I called once earlier and they were going to try to send someone back out and would call me. Never called. Just got off the phone again and they are still going to try for tonight, but most likely will be tomorrow. So now I'm stuck at home for another day with the wrong modem and cable Internet that does not work.

Thankfully, I haven't canceled my DSL yet, so I have that hooked back up for now.

Any suggestions? I assume there's really nothing I can do if the modem is not getting Sync, right?

Nth

join:2003-12-10
Highlands, NC
reply to Travisimo1
man why do companies hire such lazy people?...lol....the reason your not getting your 20mb could be caused by signal issues as well as a congested downstream port....The Cable co doesnt tell you that they can only support about 38mbps per node with Docsis 1.1 lol and your sharing that 38mbps with atleast 40-50 if not more....post your signals htp://192.168.100.1 and if they look good ill refer you to someone who can help with the Downstream Utilization on your node....as for now i would keep your dsl....although i like the technology of cable alot better if it doesnt work and there not willing to fix it then its useless

Anonymous
Premium
IA
reply to Travisimo1
That Ambit modem sucks big time.

Anonymous
Premium
IA
reply to Nth
I don't think this is a congestion issue, most likely a modem/wiring issue.

PS while DOCSIS 1.1 is somewhat outdated it can still provide some decent service (I have a 10/1 service with web-boost).

Travisimo1

Moline, IL

1 edit
reply to Nth
The modem hasn't been able to sync since an hour after the tech left shortly after 1pm earlier today, so congestion is really a secondary concern at this point. Right now, I'd just like to be able to sync the modem and get it working.

Still as I write, the RECV light is blinking and the READY light is blinking. The SYNC light is off. There seems to be a dim flicker on the SYNC light but I can't tell if that's light bleeding from the RECV light next to it, or if it's just continually trying to get sync? If I unplug the modem, wait a bit, and plug it back in, the sync light comes on briefly but goes back out in less than a minute.

At any rate, they didn't call back tonight, so they promised tomorrow morning. The more I think about it, the more upset I get about the tech that was here earlier. I should have known better than to let him leave so quickly. He never offered to check the signal strength (never did even once). He never offered to replace the outside connectors until I asked him to do it. He brought the wrong modem to begin with and didn't have one of the Internet/phone modems with him and just said they would swap it when they install the phone service in 2 weeks. He didn't know how to set up the connection using a Mac or my Airport Extreme.

When I put 192.168.100.1 in my browser, I don't know how to log in? The tech didn't even give me a sheet showing my account information. How do I log in to the modem? Since the modem isn't even syncing, I won't be able to test signals or anything anyway, right?

Travisimo1

Moline, IL
I figured out how to login to the modem. However, I'm used to DSL numbers so I have no idea what these mean. Since it's not even synced, I don't know how valuable the info the modem is giving will be, but here goes:

Boot Code Version: 3.13.2 Software Version: 2.57.2033
Hardware Version: 1.12 Web Based Configuration Pages Version: 1.0.2

Acquire a Downstream Channel 117000000 Hz In Progress
Connectivity State In Progress Not Synchronized
Boot State In Progress Unknown
Security Disabled Disabled

Downstream Lock : Not Locked
Downstream Frequency : 361768000 Hz
Downstream Modulation: QAM256
Downstream Interleave Depth: 32
Downstream Receive Power Level: 5.8 dBmV (fluctuating a lot)
Downstream SNR: 27.6 dB

Upstream Channel ID: 0
Upstream Transmit Power Level: 33.0 dBmV
Upstream Symbol Rate: 0 Ksym/sec
Upstream Frequency: 0 Hz
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 0

Network Access : Denied
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 0
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 0
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 0
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragmentation Enabled, PHS Enabled
Maximum Number of CPEs : 0

Anonymous
Premium
IA
It looks like it can't lock the upstream signal. Your downstream SNR is too low but Ambits do that all the time (report it being too low even though that may not be the case).

BTW that's pretty much normal you get HSD only modem until your phone is installed.

Travisimo1

Moline, IL
Hmmm... so before I went to bed last night, I figured i'd just unplug the modem since there's no use having it try to sync all night long. When I woke up this morning, I thought I'd give it a try and see what happens. Plugged in the modem and it synced right away. I figured it would lose sync within a minute like it had been, but after it didn't, I hopped on the web and went to Speakeasy and did a speed test.

Surprisingly, I got 18521 kbps down and 1891 kbps up! I thought WOW, this is pretty much maxed out. Unfortunately, it lost sync moments later and now it's back to the cycle of flashing RECV light and no sync. (sigh)

Maybe it's just a bad modem? Or maybe the signal is not strong enough to keep sync? At any rate, they are supposed to come back this morning, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Thanks to those who are continuing to follow my saga!

BlackHole2

join:2009-03-10
Hendersonville, NC
said by Travisimo1:

Hmmm... so before I went to bed last night, I figured i'd just unplug the modem since there's no use having it try to sync all night long. When I woke up this morning, I thought I'd give it a try and see what happens. Plugged in the modem and it synced right away. I figured it would lose sync within a minute like it had been, but after it didn't, I hopped on the web and went to Speakeasy and did a speed test.

Surprisingly, I got 18521 kbps down and 1891 kbps up! I thought WOW, this is pretty much maxed out. Unfortunately, it lost sync moments later and now it's back to the cycle of flashing RECV light and no sync. (sigh)

Maybe it's just a bad modem? Or maybe the signal is not strong enough to keep sync? At any rate, they are supposed to come back this morning, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Thanks to those who are continuing to follow my saga!
its possibly a bad modem... if the local office isnt far, go swap it out. When they install the phone you will get a new modem, so if thats not too far away, hold out for that.

Travisimo1

Moline, IL
reply to Travisimo1
Hurray! The new tech came out today around 11:30am and he was much better. The first thing he did was test the signal. Then he changed the connector going into the modem (from the cable outside). The modem still would not sync, so he went out to the truck and brought in a different modem (RCA DCM425) and it synced right away. He went into the modem settings on my browser and checked the stats - everything looked good. He said it was probably a combination of the modem and bad connector going into the modem that was causing the problem.

Speakeasy is reporting between 10-12m down and almost 2m up so I can live with that. I realize it was vary, so I'll keep an eye on it for the 2 weeks I'm waiting for phone service to be installed. If it consistently stays at 10m or higher, I'll probably stick with it. If it consistently stays between 6-10m, I'll probably drop down to the 8m plan. And if it's consistently lower than 6m, I'll just cancel and go back to DSL. As I said before, I can't go any higher than 3m on my DSL line.

Thanks to those who responded and tried to help! Here's crossing my fingers that the phone install and new modem will go smoothly in 2 weeks!

Travisimo1

Moline, IL
reply to Nth
said by Nth:

man why do companies hire such lazy people?...lol....the reason your not getting your 20mb could be caused by signal issues as well as a congested downstream port....The Cable co doesnt tell you that they can only support about 38mbps per node with Docsis 1.1 lol and your sharing that 38mbps with atleast 40-50 if not more....post your signals htp://192.168.100.1 and if they look good ill refer you to someone who can help with the Downstream Utilization on your node....as for now i would keep your dsl....although i like the technology of cable alot better if it doesnt work and there not willing to fix it then its useless
Okay, now that I'm up and running, I'll refer to your statement about congestion. If I do a Speakeasy test and get different results each time, could that be congestion on my node? For example, if I do a test once and get 11m consistently for a few times in a row, and then all of a sudden drop down to 5m for a few minutes, does that mean someone on my node was utilizing the available bandwidth which slow me down?

And you mentioned being able to to help with downstream utilization on my node? How does that work exactly?

Thanks!