share rss forum feed

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12

North State Plex IPTV

North State is now offering a new integrated service called Plex. This is very similar to AT&T's U-Verse service, only it offers higher speeds. They are offering IPTV (80HD channels with DVR), phone, and up to 20Mbps internet. They are utilize Cisco set-top boxes are the service.

I have inquired about Lightstar customers as the website mentions the service is delivered over DSL and Lightstar customers will in fact be some of the first to receive service. All existing Lightstar customers are being moved to the Plex internet service and can now sign up for Plex 20Mbps internet service for $55 a month. I have another inquiry asking if they offer any higher upstream speeds since their website only mentions 768Kbps upstream for all the Plex internet packages.

More info here: »www.northstate.net/productlandin···pageid=1

Did you find out any information about the upstream speed? I just recieved the mailing today, but not in a Lightstar neighborhood. Hopefully, this service is available in my neighborhood.

There are no where enough HD channels available for me to switch to the IPTV. What HD channels are available are mainly movie channels.

I plan on calling tomorrow to see if the service is available for me.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

Upstream is limited to 768Kbps on all packages unfortunately. They told me I should stay with my Lightstar 15/2 because if I switch to the Plex 20Mbps package, my upstream would be reduced to 768Kbps.

I believe they are using ADSL2+ for the service.

reply to Matt3

Interesting,
I wonder how reliable the service will be. I have only heard bad things about their non-lightstar dsl.

I use TW for internet and Dish Network for TV. I would love to get them all from one provider.

I'm not sure how my neighborhood missed out on the Lightstar installations, as they were being built in the same period they were implementing it, even in the same area.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

said by Daniel in HP :

Interesting,
I wonder how reliable the service will be. I have only heard bad things about their non-lightstar dsl.

I use TW for internet and Dish Network for TV. I would love to get them all from one provider.

I'm not sure how my neighborhood missed out on the Lightstar installations, as they were being built in the same period they were implementing it, even in the same area.
I have never experienced non-Lightstar North State service, but my Lightstar has been pretty reliable. I've had a few issues and they've been fairly responsive. They have a pretty good back-end network and peer directly with Level 3 and Verizon.

It's my understanding that the builder played a role in whether North State brought Lightstar to the neighborhood. I'm not sure if that means they had to lay the fiber or what. I do know I didn't see North State nor their subcontractors that have serviced (and installed) my address laying fiber when my neighborhood was being built.

Daniel in HP

@bellsouth.net

1 recommendation

Well I had 20mb Plex installed at the house this afternoon. If the speeds hold true, I will be very pleased.

Here was a speed test taken after installation.

»www.speedtest.net/result/496340003.png

Roy in HP

@wfu.edu

I had 20MB Plex installed on Thursday, and it has only been a pain in the ass. I'm averaging about 1.5 MB with the highest being 6MB. I have talked with about 10 people at northstate and get conflicting answers every time. They said that the line card is at 20MB, but no dice. so they are coming out Friday for the 4th time in a week. Hopefully they will get this fixed or its back to Time Warner.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC
reply to Daniel in HP

said by Daniel in HP :

Well I had 20mb Plex installed at the house this afternoon. If the speeds hold true, I will be very pleased.

Here was a speed test taken after installation.

»www.speedtest.net/result/496340003.png
That is great speed. I'd LOVE to have the 20Mbps down, but don't want to lose my upstream yet.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC
reply to Roy in HP

said by Roy in HP :

I had 20MB Plex installed on Thursday, and it has only been a pain in the ass. I'm averaging about 1.5 MB with the highest being 6MB. I have talked with about 10 people at northstate and get conflicting answers every time. They said that the line card is at 20MB, but no dice. so they are coming out Friday for the 4th time in a week. Hopefully they will get this fixed or its back to Time Warner.
Hello Roy,

That sounds a awful lot like you're on an 802.11b wireless network. Can you describe your setup?

Roy in HP

@wfu.edu

I'm acutally on a wired connection. My machine is AMD 6000 (3Gz Dual Core) 2 GB RAM, 2TB Harddrive space running Vista and Ubuntu. The told me tonight that my neighbourhood doesn't support 20MB, but they told me twice earlier that it did.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

said by Roy in HP :

I'm acutally on a wired connection. My machine is AMD 6000 (3Gz Dual Core) 2 GB RAM, 2TB Harddrive space running Vista and Ubuntu. The told me tonight that my neighbourhood doesn't support 20MB, but they told me twice earlier that it did.
Yikes. I hope they are planning on refunding any monthly fees and installation charges?

Majors

@uncsa.edu
reply to Roy in HP

said by Roy in HP :

The told me tonight that my neighbourhood doesn't support 20MB, but they told me twice earlier that it did.
I got that from Bellsouth a while ago. The sales ppl just want the sale and the installers see the reality.

SPT

@bellsouth.net

I live in Laurel Oak Ranch and I just ordered Plex 20 meg from Northstate. Now I am getting a bit worried after reading a few of these posts. Has anyone from my neighborhood had any experience with Plex?

DVDdude

join:2003-06-15
Greensboro, NC
reply to Matt3

Sadly, the only way you will ever find out what kind of speeds you will or won't get is to schedule an installation appointment and get a REAL TECHNICIAN out to your house. Maybe then you will find out if you have fiber to your home or just to the curb.

NSC customer service and sales is TOTALLY CLUELESS about broadband.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

said by DVDdude:

NSC customer service and sales is TOTALLY CLUELESS about broadband.
I have to agree with this. Even on the tech support side, level 1 tech support are clueless too.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC
reply to SPT

said by SPT :

I live in Laurel Oak Ranch and I just ordered Plex 20 meg from Northstate. Now I am getting a bit worried after reading a few of these posts. Has anyone from my neighborhood had any experience with Plex?
My experience has been that although the front-line folks need to be trained, the actual product delivered is excellent. I've had Lightstar 15Mbps/2Mbps (delivered over Fiber) for 3 years (Installation Pictures Here: »[Fiber Pics] North State Communications Lightstar Pics) and aside from a bit of recent downtime and trouble due to a wire a contractor left bare that kept shorting my ONT, the speeds have been rock solid. Never any fluctuations whatsoever. North State has a very solid network that I think you'll be very pleased with.

dmm219

@ncat.edu
reply to Matt3

Anybody know if this is available in Adams Farm? I have their 3M DSL, which I have had problems with since they installed it. I'm lucky to get 1.5 or less. North State hasn't responded to any of my service emails. They just laid a bunch of fiber throughout Adams Farm, but I'm not sure who it was for. It was only along adams farm road (not back into the neighborhoods). If there is a way to get higher and more reliable speeds from North State, I'd be all for it. But if not, I'm gonna have to go back to cable as the DSL is not very good.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

said by dmm219 :

Anybody know if this is available in Adams Farm? I have their 3M DSL, which I have had problems with since they installed it. I'm lucky to get 1.5 or less. North State hasn't responded to any of my service emails. They just laid a bunch of fiber throughout Adams Farm, but I'm not sure who it was for. It was only along adams farm road (not back into the neighborhoods). If there is a way to get higher and more reliable speeds from North State, I'd be all for it. But if not, I'm gonna have to go back to cable as the DSL is not very good.
I thought Adam's Farm was Bellsouth/AT&T?

dmm219

@ncat.edu

nope...its North State (at least the northern end where my house is)

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

said by dmm219 :

nope...its North State (at least the northern end where my house is)
Weird, I have a friend who lives off of Lange and she has AT&T DSL. Maybe the neighborhood is split between the two.

Anyway, their new Plex service utilizes ADSL2+ which (in some cases) will require FTTC (fiber to the curb). I've noticed contractors running fiber down Adam's Farm too while running, so if that is for North State, you're likely several months away from being eligible for Plex. They have to install the FTTC equipment unless it is already in place, but I haven't seen any. You have to be within a mile of the CO to receive 20Mbps over ADSL2+ and I believe the closest CO is off Penny Road.

If you want an example of what type of equipment needs to be installed, take a look at the equipment right before Bordeaux at Jamestown on Mackay. That is their Lightstar equipment, but FTTC requires a similar deployment.

dmm219

@ncat.edu
reply to Matt3

we are pretty far back on old fox trail. Both me and my neighbor I know for sure have North State (ATT is unavailable, I tried them first when I moved in). I would imagine if the Northern part of Adams Farm is NorthState, so should be the rest of the development. But I don't know how to say for sure. We have (as far as I know) never had lightstar though. And the max DSL North State could provide was 3M (as I said earlier, I barely get 1.5).

Northstate never seems to know much when I call them and ask. I should have asked those guys who they were installing the fiber for. They were also installing fiber all along Hill top towards high point road a while back. I kind of thought that would have been for Uverse...I has no idea this PLEX thing was coming down the road.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

1 edit

I know exactly where you are; I run Old Fox Trail when I feel like giving my legs a hill workout. I love it back in that area.

If you barely get 1.5Mbps on a 3.0Mbps profile, you are really far from the North State CO, which means that ADSL2+ definitely won't help your speeds unless they deliver FTTC as ADSL2+ has even shorter distance requirements than DSL. 18000 feet (3 miles) is about the max distance DSL can reach and if you're can only achieving 1.5Mbps, you're probably pretty close to that limit and definitely too far for the 20Mbps Plex service.

I'm going to ask a really knowledgeable guy named tschmidt See Profile to stop by and give his thoughts on whether ADSL2+ will help you or not. I am not 100% sure whether ADSL2+ will provide you better speeds than plain-vanilla ADSL at your distance.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

ADSL2/ADSL2+ is second generation ITU ADSL spec. It providers a number of advantages. The most useful is slightly increased distance and speed. Most ISPs do not specifically advertise support for ADSL2. If modem and DSLAM support it during it will be used preferentially.

If you want to learn more about DSL technology Aware has a bunch of interesting Whitepapers.

Slow speed can be caused by many things. DSL connection may be OK but you are experiencing congestion elsewhere in the network.

The first step is to access modem stats to see what flavor of DSL you have, what speed modem is able to sync at and margin.

I'm not familiar with this ISP but Verizon over provisions DSL to compensate for overhead (TCP/IP/PPPoE/ATM) so when customers do speed test report is close to advertised speed. For example I have 3000/768 plan, sync rate it set to 3360/864 and I typically get 2800/700 doing speed tests.

Margin should be at least 10 dB. Between 6 to 10 dB connection is sensitive to noise. At 6 or below modem is not able to hold sync. If speed or margin is low try temporally connecting modem to phone company NID test jack. This disconnects inside wiring/equipment. If stats improve something within your residence is degrading DSL and needs to be corrected.

NID is typically located near electric meter but can be anywhere. If your home was built prior to mid 1980's and never upgraded or you live in an apartment may not have one.

How are you measuring speed? The speed test on BBR tools page is pretty accurate. I just discovered another one by Visualware that provides not just speed/latency report but instantaneous readout of speed and latency.
»myspeed.visualware.com/

Once you know modem stats and run end-to-end performance test should have a pretty good idea as to why your speed is low. If you have trouble understanding all the technobabble post modem stats and speed test report in this thread.

Good Luck.

/tom

dmm219

@northstate.net

I'll give it a try out at the box. I get about 1.6 with the link you provide. Same as I get with Speakeasy.

What's weird is that it is variable. When it was installed, I tested it at around 2.8 which I was perfectly happy with. Then I noticed it would drop to around 1.6, but only at night. Now it seems to stay around 1.6, sometimes boosting up above 2, but rarely. I haven't changed anything in the house since it was installed.

As for Plex, I did see all that equipment along Mckay. There is also a bunch of boxes along hilltop between adams farm and college. I'm not sure if they are the same though...

mfish

@poloralphlauren.com

I ended up having to just transfer my TW stuff over to my new home off of Rivermeade (across from Oak Hollow Dam) as when I tried to sign up for 10M since I knew 20M was out of the question, I got a call saying that the engineers were going to take a look at it because they had it on file as only being supported by a 3M connection.

I was told I would have fiber run in the neighborhood around September, but seeing as how the previous person was oblivious and the new contact said that the only way to know is to keep checking the Plex TV website and putting in your address... i'm thinking I might be waiting till September of 2010.

I even made a strong quote telling them that i'm willing to pay for the best and want to be the first on the block with the service and they still sorta just hemm'd and haww'd and played their "I don't know" game.

For a business with a straight-up great thing going for them with this fiber and PLEX, they sure have their heads a long way up their rear's

jprater

@rtmc.net
reply to Matt3

i have a local internet company called Randolph Tele. I pay them and they connect me to northstate, do you guys think i'll be able to just skip them and there nonsense, they have low tech and never have any answers, i pay for a 6mb connection and only dl about 500 kbs, and its 69.99 a month before taxes. I'm really hoping i can switch to this plex, any help would be greatly appreciated, I can't get cable and i hate having this horribe rtmc.net connection.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

Definitely give NorthState a call. If they are a CLEC reselling North State you should be able to get service from NS directly. Try it and please let us know if it works out.

dmm219

@ncat.edu
reply to Matt3

I just got a note back from North State informing me that Plex should be in my area of Adam's Farm in September. This was after they initially said North State doesn't service the area at all...they were a bit confused

So here's hoping for September. I just wish I could get more speed than my DSL allows, and I really don't want cable...

RogerOver

@windstream.net
reply to Matt3

I live in Adams Farm also and they just told me today that they didn't serve that far away from High Point.

I wish they could figure out what's going on.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

said by RogerOver :

I live in Adams Farm also and they just told me today that they didn't serve that far away from High Point.

I wish they could figure out what's going on.
I think some parts of Adams Farm are North State and some are AT&T. My friend off Rosecliff Ct (off Lange) is AT&T, but the back of Fox Run appears to be North State. I wonder if Adam's Farm is the demarc between the North State and AT&T service area?