how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dmm219

@ncat.edu
reply to Matt3

Re: North State Plex IPTV

we are pretty far back on old fox trail. Both me and my neighbor I know for sure have North State (ATT is unavailable, I tried them first when I moved in). I would imagine if the Northern part of Adams Farm is NorthState, so should be the rest of the development. But I don't know how to say for sure. We have (as far as I know) never had lightstar though. And the max DSL North State could provide was 3M (as I said earlier, I barely get 1.5).

Northstate never seems to know much when I call them and ask. I should have asked those guys who they were installing the fiber for. They were also installing fiber all along Hill top towards high point road a while back. I kind of thought that would have been for Uverse...I has no idea this PLEX thing was coming down the road.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12

1 edit

I know exactly where you are; I run Old Fox Trail when I feel like giving my legs a hill workout. I love it back in that area.

If you barely get 1.5Mbps on a 3.0Mbps profile, you are really far from the North State CO, which means that ADSL2+ definitely won't help your speeds unless they deliver FTTC as ADSL2+ has even shorter distance requirements than DSL. 18000 feet (3 miles) is about the max distance DSL can reach and if you're can only achieving 1.5Mbps, you're probably pretty close to that limit and definitely too far for the 20Mbps Plex service.

I'm going to ask a really knowledgeable guy named tschmidt See Profile to stop by and give his thoughts on whether ADSL2+ will help you or not. I am not 100% sure whether ADSL2+ will provide you better speeds than plain-vanilla ADSL at your distance.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

ADSL2/ADSL2+ is second generation ITU ADSL spec. It providers a number of advantages. The most useful is slightly increased distance and speed. Most ISPs do not specifically advertise support for ADSL2. If modem and DSLAM support it during it will be used preferentially.

If you want to learn more about DSL technology Aware has a bunch of interesting Whitepapers.

Slow speed can be caused by many things. DSL connection may be OK but you are experiencing congestion elsewhere in the network.

The first step is to access modem stats to see what flavor of DSL you have, what speed modem is able to sync at and margin.

I'm not familiar with this ISP but Verizon over provisions DSL to compensate for overhead (TCP/IP/PPPoE/ATM) so when customers do speed test report is close to advertised speed. For example I have 3000/768 plan, sync rate it set to 3360/864 and I typically get 2800/700 doing speed tests.

Margin should be at least 10 dB. Between 6 to 10 dB connection is sensitive to noise. At 6 or below modem is not able to hold sync. If speed or margin is low try temporally connecting modem to phone company NID test jack. This disconnects inside wiring/equipment. If stats improve something within your residence is degrading DSL and needs to be corrected.

NID is typically located near electric meter but can be anywhere. If your home was built prior to mid 1980's and never upgraded or you live in an apartment may not have one.

How are you measuring speed? The speed test on BBR tools page is pretty accurate. I just discovered another one by Visualware that provides not just speed/latency report but instantaneous readout of speed and latency.
»myspeed.visualware.com/

Once you know modem stats and run end-to-end performance test should have a pretty good idea as to why your speed is low. If you have trouble understanding all the technobabble post modem stats and speed test report in this thread.

Good Luck.

/tom

dmm219

@northstate.net

I'll give it a try out at the box. I get about 1.6 with the link you provide. Same as I get with Speakeasy.

What's weird is that it is variable. When it was installed, I tested it at around 2.8 which I was perfectly happy with. Then I noticed it would drop to around 1.6, but only at night. Now it seems to stay around 1.6, sometimes boosting up above 2, but rarely. I haven't changed anything in the house since it was installed.

As for Plex, I did see all that equipment along Mckay. There is also a bunch of boxes along hilltop between adams farm and college. I'm not sure if they are the same though...

mfish

@poloralphlauren.com

I ended up having to just transfer my TW stuff over to my new home off of Rivermeade (across from Oak Hollow Dam) as when I tried to sign up for 10M since I knew 20M was out of the question, I got a call saying that the engineers were going to take a look at it because they had it on file as only being supported by a 3M connection.

I was told I would have fiber run in the neighborhood around September, but seeing as how the previous person was oblivious and the new contact said that the only way to know is to keep checking the Plex TV website and putting in your address... i'm thinking I might be waiting till September of 2010.

I even made a strong quote telling them that i'm willing to pay for the best and want to be the first on the block with the service and they still sorta just hemm'd and haww'd and played their "I don't know" game.

For a business with a straight-up great thing going for them with this fiber and PLEX, they sure have their heads a long way up their rear's

jprater

@rtmc.net
reply to Matt3

i have a local internet company called Randolph Tele. I pay them and they connect me to northstate, do you guys think i'll be able to just skip them and there nonsense, they have low tech and never have any answers, i pay for a 6mb connection and only dl about 500 kbs, and its 69.99 a month before taxes. I'm really hoping i can switch to this plex, any help would be greatly appreciated, I can't get cable and i hate having this horribe rtmc.net connection.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

Definitely give NorthState a call. If they are a CLEC reselling North State you should be able to get service from NS directly. Try it and please let us know if it works out.

dmm219

@ncat.edu
reply to Matt3

I just got a note back from North State informing me that Plex should be in my area of Adam's Farm in September. This was after they initially said North State doesn't service the area at all...they were a bit confused

So here's hoping for September. I just wish I could get more speed than my DSL allows, and I really don't want cable...

RogerOver

@windstream.net
reply to Matt3

I live in Adams Farm also and they just told me today that they didn't serve that far away from High Point.

I wish they could figure out what's going on.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

said by RogerOver :

I live in Adams Farm also and they just told me today that they didn't serve that far away from High Point.

I wish they could figure out what's going on.
I think some parts of Adams Farm are North State and some are AT&T. My friend off Rosecliff Ct (off Lange) is AT&T, but the back of Fox Run appears to be North State. I wonder if Adam's Farm is the demarc between the North State and AT&T service area?

Daniel in HP

@bellsouth.net
reply to Matt3

Matt,

Have you subscribed to the Plex IPTV service? I inquired and it is only available to Fiber neighborhoods. Supposedly they are adding 1500 homes a month. If you have can you see any difference in picture quality from Time Warner?

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

said by Daniel in HP :

Matt,

Have you subscribed to the Plex IPTV service? I inquired and it is only available to Fiber neighborhoods. Supposedly they are adding 1500 homes a month. If you have can you see any difference in picture quality from Time Warner?
I haven't. When I called a few months ago, they said it wouldn't be available in fiber neighborhoods for a while, that the ADSL2+ Plex folks would get it first. I just checked their locator service and it states it's not available in my area yet, but I don't think that locator is very accurate.

Chester

@northstate.net

1 recommendation

Hey Matt, it's available in your area, Trust Me.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

said by Chester :

Hey Matt, it's available in your area, Trust Me.
I'll give them a call. Their Plex 50 HD package looks nice! Thanks for the assurance!

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

I signed up for their Plex 100 package and got their HD-DVR. So far, the picture quality is much better than Time Warner, about on par with my DirectTV service. This makes sense as Plex TV is delivered using H.264 MPEG4 like DirectTV. The image is very sharp, whereas my Time Warner HD image looks a little soft, especially on text like the carrier logos.

The installation took about 2 hours due to a slight problem with provisioning, but the installer (Nick) was super-cool. He let me pick his brain and I found out some interesting info about their thinking with regard to this service.

1) They are not running IPTV over ADSL2+. They tested this and decided to run FIBER to all new TV customers. They leave the copper in place for phone and internet for now. This is why it's not available everywhere yet, only to fiber (Lightstar) customers.

2) For the Plex service packages, if you are too far out to achieve the 20Mbps/768Kbps max speed, they will bond two pairs together and provide you a bonded modem. Nick said this has worked for everyone so far.

3) They've been testing Plex TV for close to 2 years and they send an actual North State tech (not a sub-contractor) out to install it.

4) The Cisco (Scientific Atlanta) CIS430 box is small, quiet, and has all the usual outputs; 1 x HDMI, 1 x Optical Audio, 1 x Coax, 1 x Ethernet, 1 x USB (additional DVR storage?), then RCA and S-Video

5) The software on the box is SLOW. Scrolling through the guide is painful at best. Up, down, left, right, it all takes ages and buffers your commands, so you (at least I) wind up in the wrong spot. You can type in the channel you want in the guide, which greatly lowers the frustration level of searching for programs.

6) Nick mentioned that this was a new service, so I may experience a hiccup or two. I actually found this refreshing in light of Time Warner's refusal to admit my area has capacity issues.

7) The CIS430 box uses HomePNA 3.1 over both the ethernet and coax jacks. I imagine this is how it slings DVR video around the home.

Chester

@northstate.net

1 recommendation

Hey Matt, Told you so!! Any more questions not to technical just let me know.

mfish

@poloralphlauren.com
reply to Matt3

Oh how I wish they would move their rears and get down to me, but I've not seen one hair of anybody northstate related down where i'm at, which i'm guessing means their September timetable was just empty nonsense.

ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

I wish we had somebody in the know here to tell us just where they're installing fiber at currently and what neighborhoods are coming up next... it shouldn't be that hard to find out instead of getting these timetables that are being pulled out of somebody's arse.

spltfngr66

join:2009-08-18
High Point, NC
reply to Matt3

said by Matt3:

I signed up for their Plex 100 package and got their HD-DVR. So far, the picture quality is much better than Time Warner, about on par with my DirectTV service. This makes sense as Plex TV is delivered using H.264 MPEG4 like DirectTV. The image is very sharp, whereas my Time Warner HD image looks a little soft, especially on text like the carrier logos.

Matt, How is the Plex TV working out?

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

said by spltfngr66:

said by Matt3:

Matt, How is the Plex TV working out?
Great actually. There were a few hiccups at first, but only with Fox. The Cisco box is terribly slow and you can't record two HD shows, but can't record one and watch another, which is odd. There is also a problem with my HD DVR not outputting Dolby Digital correctly. It outputs everything as a 48KHz 2-channel PCM stream, no matter the source. I called them month ago and they had to engage Cisco about it, because I wasn't the only one who reported it. Surround magically worked one time a few days ago on a TNT movie (Blade 2 or 3 I believe) but hasn't worked since.

All-in-all? I have Plex 100, with HD and the HD DVR, and it's absolutely worth the price, which is cheaper than Time Warner and has a MUCH higher quality HD picture to boot.
--
trafficcloak.com - pptp/sstp vpn services

mfish

@poloralphlauren.com
reply to Matt3

So after TW announced their rate increases for the region, I sent northstate a terse little letter telling them that i've had enough of the runaround and I wanted answers as to when they will be installing fiber through my neighborhood as I absolutely want to get rid of TW NOW.

They called me on Tuesday afternoon and got my address number as I had only mentioned my street, then they said they would get with the engineers but that it hopefully shouldn't be too long as they were getting close and call me back on Wednesday.

They called back on Wed. and said after talking with the engineers, the flooding we had in the area has set them back and that they couldn't give a time frame for the rest of this year, so they said they would setup a callback in JANUARY to give me a more firm answer. Ugh...

At least I was able to confirm that it will be fiber they'll be running and not just extended DSL lines, but really, yes the rain and flooding was bad, but it was dried out within 2 f'n days. I mean hell, I had a full river flowing 10 feet below my house that was back to it's small creek levels within a DAY, and if what they installed is somehow needing repair wherever it's at, then holy damn are they sorry installers. Honestly, I'm just going to go with they don't know still and i'm an idiot for wanting an honest answer.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

The installer also told me they are running fiber for TV customers rather than DSL. Hopefully they'll get to you soon.
--

speedlever

join:2003-11-30
High Point, NC

I saved a Plex ad NS sent me in the mail.. and called them today to check on service in my neighborhood. TWC Roadrunner is jacking up the rate and I'm shopping internet service.

However, my TWC 7 Mpbs service is really good. A quick check of the visualware site has me at 15.8 Mbps down and 365k up.
The NS CS agent said that 10 Mbps service was available to me, but not the TV (I have Dish anyway). She also said 20 Mbps service was unavailable (to me? or at all? I'm not clear about this).

My neighborhood has all underground cabling for power, phone, etc.. I have no idea if we have FTTC or not.

How can I know?
--
-speedy

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

said by speedlever:

I saved a Plex ad NS sent me in the mail.. and called them today to check on service in my neighborhood. TWC Roadrunner is jacking up the rate and I'm shopping internet service.

However, my TWC 7 Mpbs service is really good. A quick check of the visualware site has me at 15.8 Mbps down and 365k up.
The NS CS agent said that 10 Mbps service was available to me, but not the TV (I have Dish anyway). She also said 20 Mbps service was unavailable (to me? or at all? I'm not clear about this).

My neighborhood has all underground cabling for power, phone, etc.. I have no idea if we have FTTC or not.

How can I know?
It's doubtful that you have FTTC if 20Mbps is unavailable to you. It is available to me, but I am on fiber, so I can't say for certain if they are rolling it out over copper (ADSL2+) yet. The thing to keep in mind about Plex, is tat you get that 10Mbps/768Kbps all the time. Your 15Mbps with Road Runner is because of Powerboost, you only see that speed for the first few second of a download. The Plex upload is also over twice as fast, it makes uploading things much easier and faster.

Download this file and watch your speed start fast, then drop dramatically: »ftp://ftp1.optonline.net/test1024

With Plex 10Mbps, you'd see 10Mbps (1.25MegaBytes) per second consistently.
--

speedlever

High Point, NC

Thanks Matt. So is Plex unlike the old DSL adage that you had to be close to a CO in order to get the advertised speeds?

It might be worth changing ISPs and changing over all our email addresses. OTOH, I sorta hate to consider that task of letting everyone know of an email change. It never gets around to everyone and all those websites you register with (and forgot about) will no longer know who you are.

Still, it may be a viable alternative. I would likely opt for the 6 Mbps service. With the cheapest phone service and Plex 6, it would run me $65-70/month. About $5 to $10 more than I currently pay. But less than the jacked up TWC price.

Also, I checked NS CS and this time they told me 20 Mbps service is available to me. But they haven't run fiber in my neighborhood yet. Hard to know what to believe.

Let me see what the retention dept at TWC is willing to do for me first.
--
-speedy

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

If they are running copper and serving you over ADSL2+, you are still distance limited. However, North State has fiber pretty deep in their network, so I don't think 6Mbps or even 10Mbps would be hard for them to deliver. 20Mbps requires pair-bonding I believe.

When I had Plex IPTV installed, the engineer said that TV over ADSL2+ wasn't reliable enough, so they are running fiber directly to all new IPTV customers. I'm not sure what other limits are placed on who or where they are rolling this out.

A few other things to consider about Plex IPTV:

1) The HD picture quality destroys Time Warner. It's H.264 MPEG-4 vs MPEG-2. There is a noticeable difference.

2) The HD DVR they gave me has the slowest menuing system I have ever seen in my life. Ever. It's terribly slow. Annoyingly slow. Make you want to throw it out the window slow.

3) Dolby Digital over HDMI doesn't work. At all. I worked with them several months ago and they said they had to go back to Cisco, because several other customers also reported the same problem. I've heard nothing since.

4) Plex IPTV offers more (and better) HD channels for a cheaper price. I have the $50 Plex 100 Tier and the same tier with Time Warner, for less HD channels, was $89 month. Once you include the HD DVR and such, the Plex price rises to the $60 range, but it's still closer to $20 cheaper than Time Warner.

Overall, I think North State's internet access is higher quality than Road Runner, as they have better peering. You either go out Level 3 or Verizon. In other words, North State is directly peered with two Tier-1 providers right in High Point.
--

speedlever

High Point, NC

Thanks for that info Matt.

NS says that Plex IPTV is not available for me yet, but that 20 Mbps is available.

Now, TWC has decided to extend my promo of $35/month for 7 Mpbs for another year.

Guess I can wait a while before I need to revisit this. Maybe by then, FIOS (hah!) will be reality or maybe NS will have fiber run into my neighborhood.

Although I have HD capability with my Dish DVR setup, I don't have any true HD sets in the house. So I probably wouldn't benefit from the IPTV option right now anyway.
--
-speedy

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

FiOS will never be a reality, as we are served by AT&T and Time Warner, or Northstate and Time Warner. FiOS is Verizon and they don't have lines here.

I think when AT&T finally rolls out U-Verse, Time Warner will up speeds. Right now, we have the slowest speeds in the country. We may see a DOCSIS 3.0 rollout too, which would be abso-freaking-lutely awesome, as then they will have serious upstream offerings.

I think you ultimately made the right decision, I would have done the same. Keep checking back, it's nice chatting with folks from the area on here.
--

fiber

@northstate.net
reply to Matt3

Video via Fiber to the home is now available in the Cedarwood Subdivision off Guilford College Rd in Jamestown.

The quality of picture and stability is very good. Check it out.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC
reply to Matt3

I apparently received a software update on my box last night (it reset my theme) that has improved box speed drastically. It's night and day.
--

mfish

@poloralphlauren.com
reply to Matt3

Matt,

As to #3 on your list above, the reason this is happening is because Northstate is using the same setups that AT&T use for U-Verse (same exact technology) and that issue has plagued U-verse customers for quite a while with no fix in sight. 5.1 surround over HDMI doesn't work, and if you try to use an optical cable, you could have sound cutting in and out. I sorta had a feeling that Northstate was piggybacking off of AT&T's tech as a whole and that's why even though i'd love to have IPTV through them whenever they can finally run fiber through the neighborhood, I don't know if I could do it and give up my surround.

I honestly don't know how widespread this is on northstate, but I figure it's an issue not many would really notice unless they were looking for it.