uniqs

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler

join:2001-01-24
38.2967 Lat

Jason to jhboricua

to jhboricua

Re: Dell Mini 10v, with Ubuntu..

The 10v is limited to 1GB, but I believe the Mini 10 (not v) can be upgraded to 2 gb..

-Jason

jhboricua

join:2000-06-06
Minneapolis, MN

1 edit

jhboricua

said by Jason:

The 10v is limited to 1GB, but I believe the Mini 10 (not v) can be upgraded to 2 gb..

-Jason
Nope, both are limited to 1GB RAM as they stand today.
brider25
join:2003-05-09

1 edit

brider25

said by jhboricua:

said by Jason:

-Jason
Nope, both are limited to 1GB RAM as they stand today.
Not entirely true. With some work the ram can be upgraded:

»www.mydellmini.com/forum ··· 2gb.html
»www.blackmonktech.com/De ··· Mini10v/

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

There was a nice door on my Mini9

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

1 recommendation

NOCMan to Jason

Premium Member

to Jason
Personally I'm waiting for Atom 330 laptops.. they're Dual Core HT processors, but I believe better wattage and thus more power to the system. the single core HT's I got a HP Mini (Random reboots) the performance was not that great. I ended up just splurging on a HP Tablet PC in the end..

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

It looks like a killer CPU.
I have the lowly Atom N270

The whole processor line.

8W for 330, 2.5W for N270
64 Bit versus 32 Bit
Dual Core HT versus Single HT
No speed step versus speed step

BTW the 230 is a 64 Bit 4W single core HT no speed step.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to Jason

Premium Member

to Jason
Linux will run on next to nothing is a SHOCKER to you?

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler

38.2967 Lat

Jason

said by Hayward0:

No.. Not at all.. I've seen linux run on hardware barely classifiable as a wristwatch.

I have a 486 (16MB ram, I think) with some old-ass slackware on it.. (2.2 Kernel, IIRC) that Im sure would run just fine, if I were to fire it up.

I know its a fully scalable OS, both large, and small...

I was just surprised to see a major retailer of computer systems (Dell) actively promoting it (Linux, even if It is Ubuntu) as one of the factory configured options for an OS

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by Jason:
said by Hayward0:

No.. Not at all.. I've seen linux run on hardware barely classifiable as a wristwatch.

I have a 486 (16MB ram, I think) with some old-ass slackware on it.. (2.2 Kernel, IIRC) that Im sure would run just fine, if I were to fire it up.

I know its a fully scalable OS, both large, and small...

I was just surprised to see a major retailer of computer systems (Dell) actively promoting it (Linux, even if It is Ubuntu) as one of the factory configured options for an OS
They have been doing it for YEARS.... my Unbuntu Inspiron 1525 goes back to just post Wilma late 2005, and wasn't just done then.

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler

38.2967 Lat

Jason

Yay! Its here!

Re-sized the NTFS partition to 30 GB, set Ubuntu up with 40GB, and the rest is a shared drive for media files.

Ubuntu 9.04 NBR went in smoothly, everything works so far out-of-the-box, even standby and hibernate.

Except, i cant seem to get any sound out from the internal Mic. It works In windows, and this notebook also comes with Ubuntu, so I assume it *should* be working..

Sigh.. I'll go spider Dells site to see if theres any special software I need from them for the Ubuntu.

Its a pretty responsive kit, and the clutter-style desktop is really quite a slick way to easily order apps and programs with such limited desktop real-estate. Looks like a very strong offering to be easy for a total linux newbie to easily navigate programs, and get where they want to go.

So far; Im seriously pleased with this little $300 netbook.

Now.. To see how to enable virtual desktops with this clutter-style desktop.

-Jason
bgib
join:2009-07-14
Los Angeles, CA

bgib

Did you ever get the internal mic working on the Dell mini 10 with Ubuntu 9.04? I have the same problem and haven't been able to find the solution. Thanks.

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler

38.2967 Lat

Jason

No, I havn't, but then again, I havn't really searched around much on it.. I've always used a USB headset with skype. Tomorrow night, Ill buckle down and see if I can figure it out. Ill post back here what I find out.

-Jason
bgib
join:2009-07-14
Los Angeles, CA

bgib

I found the Dell Mini 10 mic fix. Someone posted it earlier this afternoon.

»launchpadlibrarian.net/2 ··· ll.patch

Unfortunately, I'm a total Linux newbie, so I don't know what to do with the code in that post. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0 to Jason

Premium Member

to Jason
I know cross posting is frowned upon.... but should you think of a DVD something you wished a mini had..... this is a great little device... no wall wart needed fully USB powered.... a great mini companion.

»Rosewill USB 2.0 External Aluminum Slim CD/DVD Burner $49.99

And while evidentally not Mac compatible is WIN and Linux compatible.

Just got mine and it is a little wonder.