All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to iansltx

to iansltx

Re: 95% can be real if... it determines what 95% coverage is.

said by iansltx:

Easy solution: WiMAX. Before you tune me out, it'll cover long distances with the right antennas, and it'll fill all those peksy coverage holes. If a WiMAX tower gets overloaded due to lots of subscribers, you've found a place that might be economical to wire. Simple as that
I'm not against WiMax it's just like BPL all I heard for year is how it's the next big thing then nothing ever happens. I remember reading in 2000 how by 2010 BPL was going to be a major player in broadband and how you were going to be able to get super cheap and fast interent from your electric company even if you lived in the boonies

Anon 51
@rr.com

Anon 51

Anon

Or you could put up another radio. This would create a self-healing mesh, with overlapping coverage. No overload..
It would just roll over to the next available, less busy radio. They have built a system like this in Palm Desert, California. Works VERY well.!
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

What tehcnology are they using? How big of an area are they covering? Most rural wireless has to have antennas pointed at subscribers and vice versa, to the nondirectional nature of a mesh doesnt make as much sense.
iansltx

iansltx to 88615298

to 88615298
Key difference: BPL causes lots of interference. WiMAX has its own spectrum.

Also, BPL *does* work, provided you can get cheap bandwidh to the substation etc. Which probably isn't doable out in the sticks anyway. Though if you look through the DSLR forums you'll see a few successful BPL customers through DirecTV...or was it Dish...speeds were 1.5 Mbps both ways.

Though WiMAX can deliver more, comparable to a DOCSIS 1.1 cable system. Doesn't sound like much to in-town people but great for out-of-towners.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

It was directv.

What kinda speeds can 1.1 do?
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

38 Mbps down, 10 up, per node. Though WiMAX, at its top modulation on 10MHz channels (doable but not in all circumstances) is 35 and 4 if memory serves. 5MHz channels, which may be more common, are half that of course but as you can see with ClearWire 6 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up is very doable.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Cool. A 6/1 wireless would be better IMHO than a 5/less than 1 DSL.