join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

Amazon Kindle - Where can I see one?

My dad wants to get my mom the Amazon Kindle. He has some reservations about the price, as do I. This said, he wants to see it in person and hold it, see it working, etc.

Is there any store that sells it, or at least has one on display? I searched Bestbuy, but they don't have that particular e-book reader. Any ideas?

Thanks
--
"Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy." - George Carlin

[my ramblings]

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC
kudos:1

1 edit

1 recommendation

I may be mistaken, but I think the only retail or official web outlet for new sales of Kindles is Amazon.com. Amazon is pretty good about returns, so one alternative is to order it and try it, read the fine print carefully, don't throw out any boxes or anything. If he returned it, he wouldn't be the first. Lots of people do. If for some reason he decided he didn't want it but was unable to meet the conditions for a return, the resale market for lightly used current model Kindles on eBay or Craigslist is strong.

If he wants to talk to a user and check it out without buying, and he lives with you on Long Island, just tell him to hop a Long Island train towards the city one rush hour morning. Unless he's unlucky, he'll see 'em.

eX_NihiLo
Here's Your Something For Nothing
Premium
join:2003-08-05
Louisville, CO

1 recommendation

reply to Jeffrey

It's an online order only. Youtube some videos of it if you want some idea how it looks in action.

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
Long Island
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage
reply to runnoft

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling that there was no retail outlet, but rather direct from Amazon.com only.

My Dad would be taking the LIRR every weekday had he not been retired for the last 6 years, but I agree---AM or PM rushour should show at least one person with one of these.

Well, looks like he'll have to order it and go the return route if it's not what he/they expected.

Thanks!
--
"Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy." - George Carlin

[my ramblings]

Trel
Good Evening
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Hillsborough, NJ
reply to Jeffrey

Borders had one in store when I was last there.
I don't know if you could buy it there, but it was definitely able to be handled.
--
/chown -R us:us /yourbase

broccoli

join:2007-11-29
Portland, OR

said by Trel:

Are you sure that's not the Sony Reader?

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD
reply to Jeffrey

My wife's boss gave one to my wife 2 Christmases ago. She tried it and does not like it. Why? Because it isn't a real book.

While I think this may catch on with younger people, older folks who didn't grow up with cell phones and MP3 players may be reluctant to use it much less like it.

I would certainly encourage your father to discuss this with your mother prior to considering purchasing it. She may have no desire to own one. If she does, then you really need to find someone who already has one so she can try it out. You'd think they'd have kiosks in the mall for these things.....they seem to have kiosks for everything else!

Trel
Good Evening
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Hillsborough, NJ
reply to broccoli

said by broccoli:

said by Trel:

Are you sure that's not the Sony Reader?
They had both.
The one I'm referring to blatently said Amazon on it.
--
/chown -R us:us /yourbase

runnoft
Premium
Nags Head, NC
reply to Jeffrey

It's possible that the Borders near Trel had a Kindle on display even though they don't sell it so customers could compare it to the Sony, which they do sell, if Borders is confident the Sony has a better look and feel. But I'd bet they were displaying the Gen1 Kindle and not one of the two Gen2 Kindles (different sizes) that are now out. Might be worth a phone call to ask if there's one near Jeffrey. But remember that both Gen2 Kindles featured some upgrades, so that's what you really want to handle at this point if you're making a buying decision on a new one.

nocannothave

join:2006-10-14
Kennewick, WA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Jeffrey

»www.amazon.com/dp/B00154JDAI - Kindle (was named Kindle 2)
»www.amazon.com/dp/B0015TCML0 - Kindle DX (not yet shipping, but available to order)
»www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/r···0154JDAI - see a Kindle in your city

The new DX support .pdf files natively, whereas Kindle does not. They must be converted to a Kindle format (.azw), and the conversion process when done by Amazon is not supported and costs $.15 per mb.

Mr Neutron
Ceaseless, Tasteless, and Gormless
Premium
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME
reply to runnoft

said by runnoft:

... the resale market for lightly used current model Kindles on eBay or Craigslist is strong.
Is that because the Kindle Mark II blows the original model away? Or does it have more to do with people buying Kindles and just flat-out not liking them and they're looking to unload a turkey?
--
We could use the £5,000 to buy a spoon. And then fill up with ice cream.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
kudos:2
reply to seaquake

said by seaquake:

While I think this may catch on with younger people, older folks who didn't grow up with cell phones and MP3 players may be reluctant to use it much less like it.
That's funny. The one person who I saw with one was in her 60's and she loved it. She was in the waiting room at the doctors office and she showed me a lot of the features, told me she had had it with her on a trip to Ireland for two weeks and did not have to charge it, showed me the dictionary function, how to set the fonts larger for aging eyes, etc.

She told me it was the wave of the future and that people who were hung up on having a book would have to adapt because the cost of buying a book was going to keep going up and some publishers may just switch to electronic versions of books as printing costs escalate and sales drop.

Oh, her profession - English teacher...
--
Team Discovery

runnoft
Premium
Nags Head, NC
reply to Mr Neutron

said by Mr Neutron:

said by runnoft:

... the resale market for lightly used current model Kindles on eBay or Craigslist is strong.
Is that because the Kindle Mark II blows the original model away? Or does it have more to do with people buying Kindles and just flat-out not liking them and they're looking to unload a turkey?
JMO, obviously, but I think a lot of people would buy a Kindle at about $100 below the current price point. So they look for a bargain in a resale situation. And like other high-tech gear (see iPods), there is a resale market for earlier gen Kindles, some from happy customers who want to stay current, but Kindles will depreciate each generation down going forward, because people think the newest model must be better, the battery is more likely to not need replacing soon, etc.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to seaquake

said by seaquake:

My wife's boss gave one to my wife 2 Christmases ago. She tried it and does not like it. Why? Because it isn't a real book.

I would certainly encourage your father to discuss this with your mother prior to considering purchasing it. She may have no desire to own one. If she does, then you really need to find someone who already has one so she can try it out. You'd think they'd have kiosks in the mall for these things.....they seem to have kiosks for everything else!
I would not word it: "Do you think you're too old for one of these?"

I agree with seaquake See Profile the idea seems great but I (old guy) have trouble reading anything long on the computer. I print out most articles over a page or 2.

-
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

"I'm tellin' you, man, every third blink is slower" - Fillmore

hoyleysox
Premium
join:2003-11-07
Long Beach, CA
reply to Jeffrey

I have the sony reader and love it. The classics are free and legit to download.

However:
The worst thing that happens if you drop a paper book is that you lose a page or get it wet. If you drop an e-reader on the corner you are out $300+ if you can't get it fixed.

Jeffrey
Premium
Long Island
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to seaquake

said by seaquake:

Yeah, I hear ya there. I left out some details, but it was my mom that really mentioned this in conversation (more than once), and my Dad took that as a audible that he might want to get this for her. (Their 39th anniversary is coming up, and they don't really celebrate anymore or give gifts. After 39 years, they're lucky one of them isn't dead (via murder)). So, he asked me about the Kindle, but I know as much about it as he does.

I am amazed there is no place to hold one of these until after purchase. As you said, a mall kiosk would be great.
--

[my ramblings]

gabrielpc

join:2002-01-04
Honolulu, HI

Amazon relies on the Kindle community to be the evangelists - and it works well. Go here »www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?i···00230941 in the amazon.com forums, pick your state and find your nearest city. Post in the forum to ask someone to let you see theirs, and you'll end up with a number of responses from people more than willing to share their experiences and show off the device.

Jeffrey
Premium
Long Island
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

said by gabrielpc:

Amazon relies on the Kindle community to be the evangelists - and it works well. Go here »www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?i···00230941 in the amazon.com forums, pick your state and find your nearest city. Post in the forum to ask someone to let you see theirs, and you'll end up with a number of responses from people more than willing to share their experiences and show off the device.
Interesting link and method there. Personally, I find that slightly creepy, but I supposed that's more my personal problem than anyone elses.

Thanks for the link--I will definitely pass that on and see if my Dad wants to buy someone a cup of coffee.
--

[my ramblings]

Mr Neutron
Premium
Gorham, ME

said by Jeffrey:

said by gabrielpc:

Interesting link and method there. Personally, I find that slightly creepy, but I supposed that's more my personal problem than anyone elses.
Um, not really. The apparent willingness (nay, eagerness) of those people to demonstrate a small, easily portable electronic device (i.e. you can run with it) to a complete stranger doesn't strike me as such a hot idea, either.

I don't remember Apple pushing iPod demonstrations like that and I suspect there was a reason.
--
We could use the £5,000 to buy a spoon. And then fill up with ice cream.

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
reply to Jeffrey

said by Jeffrey:

Is there any store that sells it, or at least has one on display? I searched Bestbuy, but they don't have that particular e-book reader. Any ideas?

Thanks
Yes, look at this video of the Kindle E-reader:

»www.liveleak.com/view?i=cd7_1244080048

Jeffrey
Premium
Long Island
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

said by Xstar_Lumini:

said by Jeffrey:

Thanks
Yes, look at this video of the Kindle E-reader:

»www.liveleak.com/view?i=cd7_1244080048
That's a good video, but I wanted specifically to hold one in real life prior to purchase. Things aren't always what they seem.
--

[my ramblings]

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD
reply to Jeffrey

said by Jeffrey:

said by gabrielpc:

Thanks for the link--I will definitely pass that on and see if my Dad wants to buy someone a cup of coffee.
"Dude, want to come over and see my Kindle? You can touch it and handle it, so long as you do it gently." Yeah, it is a bit creepy. But hey, similar methods worked for Saturn in its early days so who knows. If it's the only way to actually see one in action then go for it.

Of course, you mom may think it's great at the get go, use it for an hour and never touch it again. Just like my wife INSISTED on getting a Wii fit. The only 2 times she's been on it was when I encouraged her to use it....and she didn't use it long.

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Is there a subscription fee for a Kindle?

Can you just buy an old one and start purchasing them over Whispernet?
--
My BLOG!
Black Friday Ads

nocannothave

join:2006-10-14
Kennewick, WA
Reviews:
·Charter

said by Gbcue:

Is there a subscription fee for a Kindle?

Can you just buy an old one and start purchasing them over Whispernet?
There is no subscription fee.
Used Kindles are sold all the time. once it's registered to your Amazon.com account and your 1 click payment is setup, you can purchase books from Amazon.

Copyright free content is available out there too.

Jeffrey
Premium
Long Island
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage
reply to seaquake

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I just wanted to reply that my father did buy the Kindle2 (I think it's that one - I only saw it for a second) for my Mom the other day. She loves it.
--

ravencajun
Premium
join:2004-08-12
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Jeffrey

So glad he did go with the purchase, if she had stated multiple times in hint form that she would like one he did exactly what she hoped he would do, paid attention. Good move on his part and very glad she loves it.
I am in my 50's and would absolutely love to have one, I read a LOT both books and online, it is one reason I got my netbook. I have dropped the hint also but so far no Kindles have appeared in my life.
I was able to see and hold one at a salon of all places, there was an older lady there reading while sitting under a dryer she loved hers and was very happy to show it and let me handle it.
One reason I think older individuals like them is that you can change the font size, for me that is huge, I have very bad eyesight, so many books have very small font and you can not always find the large print versions in print.
--
Registered Linux user:476595

Jeffrey
Premium
Long Island
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

My mom, much to my dismay, likes to stay connected; telephone, email, text, whatever. So, recently my Dad got her something she's been eyeing for a while - an iPhone. She loves that too. The kindle he picked up for her the other day, so while she hasn't used it much, she loves it.

My parents are sort of like opposites. My Dad barely wants a cellphone, and wants nothing to do with the Kindle.
--

Mr Neutron
Premium
Gorham, ME
reply to Jeffrey

said by Jeffrey:

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I just wanted to reply that my father did buy the Kindle2 (I think it's that one - I only saw it for a second) for my Mom the other day. She loves it.
Did you have a chance to compare 'n contrast the Kindle 2 with the original Kindle?

I ask because, according to some folks, the 2 is actually a step backwards in terms of contrast and readability. I wasn't sure how true that is (or is not) myself.
--
Damascus, Aurens.

Aurens, not this. Go round.

Damascus, Aurens - Damascus!

Vamp9190
Premium
join:2002-02-11
Chantilly, VA
reply to Jeffrey

I will take the public library over a Kindle any day.

I also read that article about how Amazon is trying to block the Google 'Book Rights Registry', gee I wonder why.

The Author's Guild says something along the lines of - Amazon is losing money on the Kindle & trying to get millions of people hooked on it. Then they are going to increase prices for Authors & Publishers (not sure of the exact logistics of the whole process, but obviously the Authors Guild is looking out for the writers).

Unsure how all this will play out, but you can be certain that everyone is watching the bottom line and there will probably be some fireworks down the line.

Jeffrey
Premium
Long Island
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

said by Vamp9190:

I will take the public library over a Kindle any day.
Personally speaking, I like holding a book. I dislike reading ebooks or magazines online. With that said, I've never used the Kindle.
--