uniqs
The Snowman
Premium Member
join:2007-05-20

2 edits

The Snowman

Premium Member

Un-known Files (idx)

A moment ago I went to add an entry to the hosts file an discovered yet another hosts file as well named "hosts.idx". A quick Search reveal two other files with the IDX extension called:

hosts.idx

datebase.idx

filecache.idx
these three file have dates of: 5-29-09 - 6-03-09 - 6-04-09.

their size ranges from 125kb to over 6000kb an opening them reveals a Code un-known to me.
A google showed that another person has also found the very same files on their computer recently,,
Is it possible that someone here at the forum can tell me what in heck are these files ? I've never seen them before.

the only information I found on this was located at:

»filext.com/file-extension/IDX

None of the programs listed at that site are installed on this computer.

Comments welcomed and appreciated...........NOTE: Will trash the System very soon unless I can find some answers/reason for these files.........the files are growing.
Oh...have scanned the computer very well with several programs an not infects are shown.

Thank you guys.

oh there is a person at Wilders complaining of the same issue but no replies.
The Snowman

1 edit

The Snowman

Premium Member

ok, I went to post tiny amount of the code (copied & paste) an everything froze............an I do not have a screen capture installed at the moment.

secured655
@rr.com

secured655 to The Snowman

Anon

to The Snowman
Hey Snowman, here's a link that may help:

»discussions.virtualdr.co ··· 943.html

Reference made to deletable files left over by nero software.

Hope this helps.

Its a Secret
Please speak into the microphone
Premium Member
join:2008-02-23
Da wet coast

1 edit

Its a Secret to The Snowman

Premium Member

to The Snowman
An Outlook Express mail index file? I recall I had to recover one of these to get emails a friend needed to have... It's kind of like a .pst file.

edit for clarity

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium Member
join:2005-01-13
Orange, CA

Rocky67 to The Snowman

Premium Member

to The Snowman
OP, I've got a bunch of .idx files on my C: drive. Most are associated with Java animations I've viewed. Others are associated with Sunbelt Counterspy, Norton, and Hewlett Packard. Nothing with the three names you have.
The Snowman
Premium Member

4 edits

The Snowman

Premium Member

Okay....SOLVED !

Hi Guys,

Thank you for coming to my aid......I was really concerned about this one.

Lets see........you guys are correct....(according to my research).....LoL,,,say you guys are on the ball !
However, in this case its another program: towit>

"ADVANCE SYSTEM PROTECTOR"

The strangeness of this is that this behavior only began recently but the program has been installed for awhile.......rather odd ? I don't like sudden un-known changes..........got to think about this......not sure I will keep the Program.

If you guys are members at Wilders perhaps you could pass this on to the Poster there to see if it helps.......that would be nice of you................gotta help each other.

Whew......WoW....tomorrow I go for Treatment an will be some sick afterwards an was not looking forward to trashing the system and re-building it...........now I can relax just a bit.

Once again......THANK YOU !

Moderators you can Lock....Delete or do whatever you so desire with this Thread.

Its a Secret
Premium Member
Da wet coast

Its a Secret

Premium Member

Good to hear you got it solved, friend! Take it easy tomorrow, eh?
The Snowman
Premium Member

The Snowman

Premium Member

Secret,

Thank you Buddy....your kind words most appreciate.

Its a Secret
Premium Member
Da wet coast

Its a Secret

Premium Member

Hey, only the best to you, bud. Keep feeling good!

balloonshark
Lets Go Mountaineers
join:2006-08-11
WV

balloonshark to The Snowman

to The Snowman
said by The Snowman:

If you guys are members at Wilders perhaps you could pass this on to the Poster there to see if it helps.......that would be nice of you................gotta help each other.
This link has been relayed .

Good luck tomorrow!
The Snowman
Premium Member

The Snowman

Premium Member

balloonshark,

thank you, hopefully the poster over there will appreciate your effort......he certainly should.....any decent person would.

Yeah tomorrow...oh boy....I dread the thought........thank you for your kind thoughts.....most appreciated.

balloonshark
Lets Go Mountaineers
join:2006-08-11
WV

balloonshark

Your welcome. It was no problem.

Take care