uniqs

Willy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-24
USA

Willy

Premium Member

Donate a TV

I have an old console TV I want to donate to charity.
Because it's a console, nobody wants it.

I've tried Salvation Army, Goodwill, and a few others.

Anyone know of an organization that may take this TV?
It still works great, I'd hate to trash it.

Thanks

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH

hitachi369

Premium Member

Craigslist

fourboxers
Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto

fourboxers to Willy

Mod

to Willy
Not an organization and if you're not looking for a tax receipt maybe »www.freecycle.org/
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212 to Willy

to Willy
If you want a receipt so you may be able to get it off ur taxes then I don't know of one. However, around here what people have been doing with all kinda stuff bed frames, sofas, desks, file cabinets, ect they have been putting them on their lawns with a sing that reads "free" on said item.

the Grumble
Yep, I changed my name again -
join:2009-05-11

the Grumble to Willy

to Willy
Garage sale it.
Put on the end of the driveway and place a 4-sale sign on it and the price.
If someone steals it it means they needed it anyway.
Or give it to your local TV repair shop, I did that with a 52" TV that burnt out, the dude fixed it and made a few bucks on it.
dmagerl
Premium Member
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL

dmagerl to Willy

Premium Member

to Willy
Its pretty well worthless what with the analog shutdown a week away.

Also, dont expect to be able to just "trash" it. The reason not many people want it is because it's considered to be toxic waste, what with all the lead in the picture tube. You just cant put it out in the trash and expect it to be picked up in the weekly trash. You usually have to call a disposal company, arrange for a special pickup, and pay a toxic waste handling fee, around $50. At least here in NE Illinois you do. That explains why you see so many along the roadside.

The part that I dont understand is that I've found some companies that will recycle computer monitors and TVs for a fee. But they all have a disclaimer: "No console TVs" Whats so special about a "console" that makes it different from a "non-console"?
B04
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28

B04 to the Grumble

Premium Member

to the Grumble
52"?? They made more than a few bucks...

-- B

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH

tschmidt to Willy

MVM

to Willy
With conversion to Digital TV you are going to have trouble finding anyone who wants an old analog TV.

Cost me $10 to get rid of our TV at town dump because it is considered ewaste.

/tom

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

1 recommendation

fifty nine to Willy

to Willy
said by Willy:

I have an old console TV I want to donate to charity.
Because it's a console, nobody wants it.

I've tried Salvation Army, Goodwill, and a few others.

Anyone know of an organization that may take this TV?
It still works great, I'd hate to trash it.

Thanks
Get a DTV converter box and use it. Otherwise contact your local landfill and see if they have any free ewaste days.
raythompsontn
join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN

1 recommendation

raythompsontn to me1212

to me1212
said by me1212:

they have been putting them on their lawns with a sing that reads "free" on said item.
Works better if they put a sign that says $10.00 and that way somebody will steal the item.

Did that with an old vacuum (it worked). Sat on the yard for a week with a free sign. Put a sign on it for $10.00 and it was gone the next morning.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to dmagerl

Premium Member

to dmagerl
said by dmagerl:

You just cant put it out in the trash and expect it to be picked up in the weekly trash.
Wanna bet?

Chop that sucker up so it fits in your trash bin and put a little bit in it every week. A month or so and it outta be gone.

Just watch out for the bits that stay charged for a really long time!

tvtek
Live life to its fullest
Premium Member
join:2004-03-07
Walnut Creek, CA

tvtek

Premium Member

said by ke4pym:
said by dmagerl:

You just cant put it out in the trash and expect it to be picked up in the weekly trash.
Wanna bet?

Chop that sucker up so it fits in your trash bin and put a little bit in it every week. A month or so and it outta be gone.

Just watch out for the bits that stay charged for a really long time!

Then you are exposed to the lead and phosphorescent surface within the CRT..That CRT can hold a charge well over 1kv depending on the leakage in it. Not high current but high voltage! Not a good idea..
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

comp to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym
Best buy will take TV's for recylcing
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to tvtek

Premium Member

to tvtek
said by tvtek:

Then you are exposed to the lead and phosphorescent surface within the CRT..That CRT can hold a charge well over 1kv depending on the leakage in it. Not high current but high voltage! Not a good idea..
I didn't say cute the tube open! Just the cabinet. There's no exposure to the phosphers doing that. And a little lead never killed anyone!

Well, that last part isn't true.
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

said by dmagerl:

Wanna bet?

You'd be suprised at what you can get rid of........with a sawzall. Last big item a couple of years ago was a water softner.

tvtek
Live life to its fullest
Premium Member
Walnut Creek, CA

tvtek to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:
said by tvtek:

I didn't say cute the tube open! Just the cabinet. There's no exposure to the phosphers doing that. And a little lead never killed anyone!

Well, that last part isn't true.
Then putting the CRT into the garbage means in most cases you or the garbage pick up personnel would be exposed to the possibility of a shock hazard or if the CRT break during shipping they will be exposed to the lead and/or phosphors!. How do you CUTE the tube anyway?

Maccawolf
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ

Maccawolf to Willy

Premium Member

to Willy
I already have a digital channel receiver, (atsc?) built in to my TV, but isn't that what the Gov't. $40.00 coupons are for? T.V.s without digital receivers???????
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to Willy

Premium Member

to Willy
Many places will take your tv for free, maybe even pick it up still for free as they recycle the materials, and make money from it.

tvtek
Live life to its fullest
Premium Member
Walnut Creek, CA

tvtek to Willy

Premium Member

to Willy
We actually have a e-recyclers in our city that pays per pound for TV's, monitors etc. I see projection TV's in there all the time..
MrIcehouse
join:2006-02-07
Saint Petersburg, FL

MrIcehouse to fourboxers

to fourboxers
I've been doing www.freecycle.org/ for about a year, got rid of a few TV's and build a pretty decent computer for free
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned) to Willy

to Willy
Goodwill will do.

tschmidt
MVM
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

said by 47717768:

Goodwill will do.
At least in our area Goodwill will not accept TVs or CRT monitors. There is no market for them and being hazardous ewaste costly to dispose of.

/tom
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

47717768 (banned)

said by tschmidt:

said by 47717768:

Goodwill will do.
At least in our area Goodwill will not accept TVs or CRT monitors. There is no market for them and being hazardous ewaste costly to dispose of.

/tom
I agree and i think as new technology getting cheaper and cheaper no one wants to buy old junk unless you are an elderly person try retirement homes or tower communities

tschmidt
MVM
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

said by 47717768:

unless you are an elderly person try retirement homes or tower communities
As someone of the elderly persuasion I though about getting a used CRT to replace our dying TV.

I decided against going that route. We use outdoor antenna so need a converter box for analog TV. In addition CRTs are large. We had a small black and white TV on shelf in my wife's home office. Shelf was too shallow for a color TV.

Ultimately purchased a couple of LCD TVs (26" and 15") off Craigslist from local folks. Got newer technology at half what it would cost new.

/tom

Willy
Premium Member
USA

Willy to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
said by 47717768:

Goodwill will do.
Thanks for all the replies.
Goodwill and Salvation Army will take TV's but not console TV's, I guess because of the size and weight.
I'm not getting rid of it because of the digital conversion.
I had DirectV and switched to Verizon Fios, and both need their own boxes to work.

I'm getting rid of it because I bought a flat screen.
This TV still works great, and somebody out there can use it and will appreciate it, the problem is finding that person.

I'd put it on the curb with a big sign "Free TV, Works Great"
but I'm afraid some Adam Henry will put a rock through the screen.

My town has a free electronics recycling drop.
All I have to do is bring the set there and it's out of my hands, but that would be a shame because it's a nice set that works great.

I'll try the suggestions you guys left me.
My last choice is bringing it to the town's recycling center but I want to get rid of this set ASAP, and a garage sale isn't in my future

Willy

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
said by 47717768:

Goodwill will do.
Goodwill is pretty fussy about what they'll take.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

RR Conductor to Willy

Premium Member

to Willy
Deseret Industries might-

»www.providentliving.org/ ··· ,00.html
smurf1
Premium Member
join:2004-03-18
Anderson, IN

smurf1 to Willy

Premium Member

to Willy
Call your local AMVETS post they will come and take it

Willy
Premium Member
USA

Willy to RR Conductor

Premium Member

to RR Conductor
said by RR Conductor:

Deseret Industries might-

»www.providentliving.org/ ··· ,00.html
I checked them out, they're not in New Jersey.
Thanks

aleshik1
join:2004-07-10
Newark, NJ

aleshik1 to Willy

to Willy
can u donate it to me if so what size is it?