Anon00
Premium Member
join:2001-09-25
USA

Anon00 to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness

Re: Rehirable at a job?

Are they saying they wouldn't hire you again or that you're a moron?

I mean it would depend on what your former employer is saying... I know some of the companies/bigger corps I've worked for tell their management to direct any inquiries into HR and HR will only confirm employment dates... even if they would say something flattering. My current boss had to do that to a former employee, since that's our companies policy, though he kind of pushed the point that he would re-hire this person, since he was a good, knowledgeable employee.

I've known people who have had spiteful employers, so that would suck if they're trying to "Black ball" you.

Mr Neutron
Impassioned Gibberish
Premium Member
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME

Mr Neutron

Premium Member

said by Anon00:

Wow: there's just no beating about the bush with some people.
Anon00
Premium Member
join:2001-09-25
USA

Anon00

Premium Member

said by Mr Neutron:
said by Anon00:

Wow: there's just no beating about the bush with some people.
Lol, sorry just wanted to illustrate the difference between a non-slanderous and slanderous statement

No offense meant to the OP. What he said, about going over a boss' head, even when he was in the right, would definitely piss a boss off. Most people don't like to be told they're wrong.. even if they are I could see the former boss trying to get back at him.

Good luck. Maybe have someone pose as a potential employer and see what they're saying... Record it if it's legal.
lefty1
join:2002-10-25
Clay, NY

1 edit

lefty1

"Most people don't like to be told they're wrong.. even if they are"

Especially if they are.

I had a somewhat similar situation years ago. A customer accused me of stealing some money, which was totally untrue. I'm not trying to defend myself here, but you would think that after 10 years of employment the company would have known how good my character is. They took the low road and fired me with no investigation (officially I was 'let go' for other reasons) and then bad-mouthed me to other prospective employers for years. I couldn't get jobs I knew I was qualified for while the companies hired many less-qualified candidates.

If I could prove what I'm sure they did, I'd sue them.

pp03
join:2002-06-13

pp03

The couple jobs I've eventually quit, fast food and walmart ended in the same way. Thanks for your time, we are marking you as rehirable. I've always assumed that is all they'd say when potential employers called them.
said by lefty1:

"Most people don't like to be told they're wrong.. even if they are"

Especially if they are.

I had a somewhat similar situation years ago. A customer accused me of stealing some money, which was totally untrue. I'm not trying to defend myself here, but you would think that after 10 years of employment the company would have known how good my character is. They took the low road and fired me with no investigation (officially I was 'let go' for other reasons) and then bad-mouthed me to other prospective employers for years. I couldn't get jobs I knew I was qualified for while the companies hired many less-qualified candidates.

I'm not trying to be a prick, but a lot of companies can't wait for seemingly legit reasons to fire people they just don't like. You can't really fire someone for having a crappy attitude, but you sure can fire a thief with a crappy attitude

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515 to lefty1

Premium Member

to lefty1
said by lefty1:

Not sure how legal it is, but you could have some friends call them claiming to be prospective employers, and when they badmouth you, sue them and then have these friends who spoke to them testify against them. You could go one step beyond and try to get these conversations recorded, but I believe that you have to notify that you are recording them first, and once you do, they may be more careful about what they say.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis

Premium Member

said by Pirate515:

I believe that you have to notify that you are recording them first, and once you do, they may be more careful about what they say.
It depends on the laws of the state you're doing the recording in. In Texas only one person has to know that the call is being recorded, and that person can be you.

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch to Pirate515

MVM

to Pirate515
said by Pirate515:
Not sure how legal it is, but you could have some friends call them claiming to be prospective employers, and when they badmouth you, sue them and then have these friends who spoke to them testify against them. You could go one step beyond and try to get these conversations recorded, but I believe that you have to notify that you are recording them first, and once you do, they may be more careful about what they say.

Ah, but so many companies record all calls 'for training purposes' that it would probably hardly be noticed. Just a statement like "It is our policy to record all reference checks" will cover that and the person calling isn't representing themselves untruthfully.

Logan 5
What a long strange trip its been
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
San Francisco, CA

Logan 5

Premium Member

said by Sweet Witch:

said by Pirate515:

Ah, but so many companies record all calls 'for training purposes' that it would probably hardly be noticed. Just a statement like "It is our policy to record all reference checks" will cover that and the person calling isn't representing themselves untruthfully.
BE CAREFUL IF YOU DO THIS!

Unless you are from one of the states below that require BOTH parties to consent, only one party needs to know (consent to) the call is being recorded.

* California
* Connecticut
* Florida
* Illinois
* Maryland
* Massachusetts
* Michigan
* Montana
* Nevada
* New Hampshire
* Pennsylvania
* Washington