spc
Search similar:

uniqs
AEKDB
join:2004-03-07
Towson, MD

AEKDB

Ants in my laptop

Over the past week have noticed little black ants coming out of my laptop, particularly when I first open it. They run back into the laptop when exposed to light. How do I get rid of these guys?

CCat
We're all quite mad here
MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland

CCat

MVM

Take it apart and clean them out is about the only way to get rid of them if they have a nest inside the laptop.

Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

3 recommendations

Fir_Na_Tine to AEKDB

Premium Member

to AEKDB
Take it to a PC repair store and say its acting buggy

Giggity Giggity
@verizon.net

Giggity Giggity

Anon

said by Fir_Na_Tine:

Take it to a PC repair store and say its acting buggy
Giggity Giggity

Sir Meowmix III
@windstream.net

Sir Meowmix III to AEKDB

Anon

to AEKDB
The absolute best way, and I've seen this done, is to place the laptop in a hermetically sealed bag, like ZipLock Freezer Bag, and tape it up. The lack of oxygen/food will kill them. Usually takes a few days.

sekim
MVM
join:1999-08-17
Saint Petersburg, FL

sekim to AEKDB

MVM

to AEKDB
I recently had ants in a dehumidier.
They leave some sticky gooo mess around some of the electronic components. Lots of eggs.

Chatting with a girl... she had ants in her monitors power brick. Ruined it all at once, it sizzled while we were talking. Hold on a minute - Its smokeing - What should I do ...
what's smoking,,, the computer thingie... can you unplug it ?

Didnt have to talk to her for a while.
AEKDB
Towson, MD

AEKDB to Sir Meowmix III

to Sir Meowmix III
Ok thanks. Thinking of trying that and maybe putting an ant bait trap in as well?

Sir Meowmix III
@windstream.net

Sir Meowmix III

Anon

said by AEKDB:

Ok thanks. Thinking of trying that and maybe putting an ant bait trap in as well?
Sure that may work to accelerate the process. Not really sure of any potentials issues with doing this. Once they're dead blow it out with compressed air or a vacuum. The key is removing the oxygen so they suffocate and preventing any ant egress/ingress. When you seal the bag try to suck some of the air out with a straw before you close it.
apache90
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Earth

apache90 to AEKDB

Premium Member

to AEKDB
You could always fumigate them.

You figure that out. You owe responsibility for what you do

manfmmd
Premium Member
join:2003-01-14
Earth, TX

manfmmd to AEKDB

Premium Member

to AEKDB
We (our work vans) have recently been infested with Crazy Ants since we carry a bunch of electronics. The traditional ant bait and poison doesn't work on them..

»www.timesonline.co.uk/to ··· 1545.ece
It sounds like the plot of a farfetched science fiction movie. Unfortunately for the residents of Texas, it is very much a reality: billions of tiny reddish-brown ants have arrived onshore from a cargo ship and are hell-bent on eating anything electronic.

Computers, burglar alarm systems, gas and electricity meters, iPods, telephone exchanges – all are considered food by the flea-sized ants, for reasons that have left scientists baffled.

Having ruined pumps at a sewage facility, the ants are now marching towards Nasa’s Johnson Space Centre and William P. Hobby airport, Houston, putting state officials in a panic. “They’re itty-bitty things, and they’re just running everywhere,” said Patsy Morphew, a resident of Pearland, on the Gulf Coast.
The recent heat has been a blessing though as it seems to have made a dent in the population, at least in our vans.

This is going to be a serious issue in the years to come.
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth to Sir Meowmix III

Premium Member

to Sir Meowmix III
said by Sir Meowmix III :

The absolute best way, and I've seen this done, is to place the laptop in a hermetically sealed bag, like ZipLock Freezer Bag, and tape it up. The lack of oxygen/food will kill them. Usually takes a few days.
Plus if you had access to a little CO2 gas for that bag...
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

said by wth:

That would certainly kill them right away. How about one of the 12 gram CO2 cartridges you use in small paintball guns or BB guns? Put it in the bag, holding it right at the top, puncture it, drop it in and seal it quick. Should do the trick.
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth

Premium Member

said by wth:

It just hit me. A tablespoon of dry ice would do the trick, just keep it off the laptop in the bag.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to AEKDB

Premium Member

to AEKDB
I think you should stop eating Cheetos and Pork Rinds over the keyboard.

Seriously those ants are eating something or else they wouldn't be in there.
AEKDB
Towson, MD

AEKDB

said by mityfowl:

I think you should stop eating Cheetos and Pork Rinds over the keyboard.

Seriously those ants are eating something or else they wouldn't be in there.
Wait, are you watching me?
Expand your moderator at work
CrashD1n3r1
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Canada

CrashD1n3r1 to wth

Premium Member

to wth

Re: Ants in my laptop

The bag will pop very fast if you try to contain co2...
Expand your moderator at work

GlobalMind
Domino Dude, POWER Systems Guy
Premium Member
join:2001-10-29
Indianapolis, IN

GlobalMind to AEKDB

Premium Member

to AEKDB

Re: Ants in my laptop

This is funny. Second time I've heard of this now. A buddy of mine in Cleveland had some ants in his basement and they ended up getting into his laptop.

He'd turn the thing on and a few would crawl out. I guess they didn't like the heat. LOL

The thing in Texas...I hadn't heard of that but wow...messed up. How do they know to head to NASA or the airport anyway? Silicon radar?

If you can open it up to get the keyboard & palmrest off...you might get a better idea of what they're doing in there.
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79 to AEKDB

Premium Member

to AEKDB
At work, we had a laptop with bedbugs in it.

For your ants, I'd put it in a plastic bag, spray some Raid in the bag, let it sit a while, then air it out.
AEKDB
Towson, MD

AEKDB

will give it a go. thanks.

Steimes
I make internets
Premium Member
join:2002-01-08
Belle Vernon, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Steimes to Bobcat79

Premium Member

to Bobcat79
said by Bobcat79:

Thankfully I have never had an encounter withe bedbugs before. From the story I heard on NPR once they are amazingly durable creatures than can survive just about any bombardment and still come back. Their eggs can lay dormant for months without air, harsh conditions ect.

Almost a death sentence for furniture if a serious infestation occurs.
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79

Premium Member

said by Steimes:
said by Bobcat79:

Thankfully I have never had an encounter withe bedbugs before. From the story I heard on NPR once they are amazingly durable creatures than can survive just about any bombardment and still come back. Their eggs can lay dormant for months without air, harsh conditions ect.

Almost a death sentence for furniture if a serious infestation occurs.
One of our employees brought bedbugs to work and four cubicles got infested. The company ultimately had to gut the area, sanitize and dispose of all the furniture, and rebuild it with all new material. It probably cost them $1 million. (The laptop was in that area and moved to another area before they discovered bedbugs were in it, too.)

The employee was let go.