spc
Search similar:

uniqs
whiteyonenh
join:2004-08-09
Keene, NH

whiteyonenh

Improvement plan? Like what?

I'd like to know what kind of improvement plan that Fairpoint has, we have Comcast in much of NH now upgraded to DOCSIS3/2.0, offering 12/2 for the base $42.95 tier. Then we have Time Warner offering 8/512 and 15/1. Where does Fairpoint fit in, they've already lost the broadband race here in much of the state. They also were saddled with a lot of debt from Verizon when the sale went through. With the billing and other issues with the switchover, I can't even count how many people that I am friends with that have switched to cable. Time Warner is running some very good promotions, same with Comcast. I can't see where Fairpoint can fit in.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

My guess is that they're going to put themselves on the market soon, either publicly or in a hush-hush way. Shortly after that, they'll get bought out.

As to who will do the buying, my guesses, in order of likliehood, are:

1. CenturyTel (or CenturyLink, whoever they are now)
2. Frontier
3. AT&T
4. Verizon

If the buyer is Verizon, I'd predict they'll wait until FairPoint goes into bankruptcy so they don't have to take on as much debt. That way, they'd get those areas back and make a nice profit in the selling off and buying back, then they could turn around and sell the whole thing again.

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace
join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by ISurfTooMuch:

If the buyer is Verizon, I'd predict they'll wait until FairPoint goes into bankruptcy so they don't have to take on as much debt. That way, they'd get those areas back and make a nice profit in the selling off and buying back, then they could turn around and sell the whole thing again.
Good business move in my opinion, good strategy too.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch
VZ won't but them back. They got rid of them for a reason. ATT won't be allowed to take them over. The Feds will block that. Remember Bush and his team is gone. Major mergers are over for four years, that's why Alltel and VZ rushed to get that approved. ATT is still waiting on the go ahead for Cent. Wireless.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

I don't think they'd buy them back for the long run, no, but if they could get them back at a rock-bottom price they might, then they could flip those properties and make even more money off them.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121 to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4
said by hottboiinnc4:

Remember Bush and his team is gone. Major mergers are over for four years, that's why Alltel and VZ rushed to get that approved.
*snicker* That's not why mergers are over for four years. (except of course, mergers/acquisitions/liquidations/takeovers that come about by executive order without any legal standing).
sbcretired
join:2006-01-07
Scottville, MI

sbcretired to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch
said by ISurfTooMuch:

My guess is that they're going to put themselves on the market soon, either publicly or in a hush-hush way. Shortly after that, they'll get bought out.

As to who will do the buying, my guesses, in order of likliehood, are:

1. CenturyTel (or CenturyLink, whoever they are now)
2. Frontier
3. AT&T
4. Verizon

So here in our locale, Verizon sold off the outside copper and local C.O.'s but kept the Cellular and Long Distance. Guess who the buyer is TA-DA, Fairpoint.
I wonder if they bit off more than they can chew?