Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

FiOS1 For Long Island & northern NJ

Channel 49 has a scroll right now telling viewers on LI and NNJ to tune to the new FiOS1 channel for local news and sports. There is no channel 1 right now, maybe it's coming soon?

Billy Bob80

join:2009-02-27
Staten Island, NY
Hope NYC is not far behind

icemannyr1

join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ
reply to matcarl
Does this mean NJ will have a separate FiOS1 feed from NYC?

It should be interesting if FiOS1 starts to cover college and high school sporting events.

Billy Bob80

Staten Island, NY
really hope so

MeatChicken

join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ
kudos:1
reply to matcarl
What's the "Verizon" ch 499 supposed to end up being ( & when)?

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY
said by MeatChicken:

What's the "Verizon" ch 499 supposed to end up being ( & when)?
It's just like another Public Access channel, I saw something on it once.

jammmin

join:2000-12-14
Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to matcarl
FIOS 1 is nothing to get excited over folks. We have had it here in the DC area for sometime now and it broadcasts nothing significant(no local news)

Mac973

join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ
reply to matcarl
said by matcarl:

Channel 49 has a scroll right now telling viewers on LI and NNJ to tune to the new FiOS1 channel for local news and sports. There is no channel 1 right now, maybe it's coming soon?
I'm in Essex County and I don't see that scroll. Weatherscan Local is on Ch 49.

icemannyr1

reply to matcarl
Channel 499 is for leased access, people or companies pay for the air time.

The scroll about FiOS1 was just on here, if your weatherscan city for current conditions is Newark then you should get the scroll about FiOS1 after the messages from the Weather Channel.

FMR VZMAN

@157.254.98.x
reply to matcarl
IIRC, the plan for the NY version of FiOS1 was that it was to be produced by WNBC - very different than what is done for FiOS1 down in DC, which is (theoretically) produced by VZ, but in fact is largely outsourced and actually originates in CT.

I am not sure if they would be able to use it for overflow sports (ie, MSG+ - SD only, Billy2 - sorry) but that was a key part of FiOS1 in the DC market.

All this could have changed, of course, since I left.

Billy Bob80

Staten Island, NY
it wont be used as overflow , Verizon already has MSG 2 and MSG + 2 in slots, channel 79 and 81. FIOS 1 for me and the rest of new yorkers that have or dont have FIOS is that it has to be like NY 1 and News 12 and not like NY Non Stop , and it has to for me Staten Island Programming like its seen on NY 1 on TW Cable. I know you guys want me to go back , but they (Verizon ) needs the MSG HD, MSG + HD, FIOS 1 *24 Hour NYC News Channel and Staten Island Local Programming. All FIOS has for me right now, is SNY HD, YES HD and ONE BILL with Verizon Wireless. Like I said Ill see what happens, Im keeping my options open

Mac973

West Orange, NJ

1 edit
reply to matcarl
I doubt FIOS 1 is going to be anything like News 12 or NY1. Those are both large and probably expensive news operations. I doubt Verizon would make that big of an investment especially as other news operations are scaling down (i.e. WNBC).

icemannyr1

For NJ the only place to get true local news updates would be News12, that's not going to happen, or NJN News from the NJ PBS Station, I don't think that will happen.
I wonder where the local news updates will come from?
I guess there should be a press release out soon about FiOS1 for Northern NJ?

baskingR

@rr.com
there will be only one fios1 for new york and northern nj. it will be produced by WRNN not NBC.

Billy Bob80

Staten Island, NY
reply to icemannyr1
well from what I know in the City of NY, it suppose to have weather and traffic on the 5s, and compete with NY 1 and News 12 according to this article blog from multichannel.com

»www.multichannel.com/blog/BIT_RA···iOS1.php

Billy Bob80

Staten Island, NY
reply to baskingR
is there a news link that of WRNN producing FIOS 1, how do you know about that

Mac973

West Orange, NJ
reply to baskingR
said by baskingR :

there will be only one fios1 for new york and northern nj. it will be produced by WRNN not NBC.
Odd that RNN is producing the news. They just recently scaled back their own news on their own network by eliminating part of their evening news block.

FMR VZMAN

@157.254.98.x
reply to Billy Bob80
said by Billy Bob80:

it wont be used as overflow , Verizon already has MSG 2 and MSG + 2 in slots, channel 79 and 81.
FiOS1 may not be used as overflow, but it is not because they already have MSG2, etc.

I am honestly surprised that MSG hasn't forced VZ to resolve the situation of 2 (extra) channels yet, because when we were working out the details of the launch, MSG was completely against having both feeds carried full time, and, like many things at VZ, it was supposed to be "just for a while."

icemannyr1

reply to matcarl
Found this post in another forum, "RNN will begin 2 new newscast coming June 22nd. A morning and then evening show.. Verizon FIOS is backing them.. Should be very interesting- Looks like NY1 will get a run for there money."

Billy Bob80

Staten Island, NY
can you link this news post , where did you find it ?

baskingR

@rr.com
reply to Billy Bob80
said by Billy Bob80:

is there a news link that of WRNN producing FIOS 1, how do you know about that
there is not a news link for everything billy. you'll believe it when you see it next week.

ScottE

join:2008-08-10
Jericho, NY
reply to matcarl
I saw the crawl on WeatherScan this morning, and I could have sworn it said Long Island and Westchester, not LI and NNJ. That would make more sense, especially if RNN is producing it - and would presumably give NJ a different feed (or partially different feed). I could be mistaken though. We'll wait and see...

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY
reply to baskingR
said by baskingR :

you'll believe it when you see it next week.
Basking, is that when it's debuting, next week?

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY
Here's a story on it. Anticipated launch date of June 22

»www.multichannel.com/blog/BIT_RA···Week.php

Mac973

West Orange, NJ
said by matcarl:

According to the article freelance reporters and photographers have been taping "for weeks". What kind of news channel is this if they can tape weeks ahead of time? Also, I don't see how this channel is going to compete with News 12 if they only cover NYC news. It would be nice to see them focus on specific regions like News 12 does. If I'm in NJ I don't care about Long Island news. And we already have enough NYC news with all the major networks' local newscasts.

FMR VZMAN

@157.254.98.x
For the DC version, the bulk of the "news" programming was special interest/features that were evergreen, along with a few short cut-ins from their broadcast partner (not sure if that happened or how long it lasted, but it was planned and we built the links for it) in the morning and afternoon drive time - but only the first one would be "live."

MeatChicken

join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Mac973
said by Mac973:

said by matcarl:

According to the article freelance reporters and photographers have been taping "for weeks". What kind of news channel is this if they can tape weeks ahead of time?

Also, I don't see how this channel is going to compete with News 12 if they only cover NYC news. It would be nice to see them focus on specific regions like News 12 does. If I'm in NJ I don't care about Long Island news. And we already have enough NYC news with all the major networks' local newscasts.
1) as far as taping for a few weeks already ....
Even the "major" news channels do this... For example, many local stories, about the "new plastic recycled benches" installed in FuttBuck County Park, or the cell tower sceduled to be completed in Sept , finally bringing service to the "lonely stretch of Rt 209" , or a piece about a local guy that invented a new can opener....
These are taped, edited & canned, & editors "decide" when they will air, based on time constraints, other news that is day-sensitive ect ...

It's also my understanding that the Fios1 news will be "local" tristate for all of us in NNJ, Long Island & Rockland/Westchester...
I'm in Bergen county, & I'm much more interested in "local" stories from closer Nassau, Hudson or Rockland counties, than for example, stories from Salem, Burlington or Glocester county NJ...
I'm sure most people in Nassau & Suffolk as well, would generally be more interested in stories centered in Ft.Lee, Hoboken, Lodi, Yonkers & Suffern, before getting small town news from a hundred miles away in some upstate NY town .....

baskingR

@rr.com
reply to Mac973
for all those complaining of a lack of a local news channel by verizon, now they are about to launch one and there you go complaining. wait to see what the product is before criticizing. they have to start somewhere. i imagine it will be awhile before its up to par with news12 or ny1 but hey those channels were crappy in the beginning. possible if fios is successful and there are more customers, it will justify having fios1 nyc, fios1 NNJ, fios1 westchester, etc.

Billy Bob80

Staten Island, NY
well we all have to see what it is , and then we will know and go from there . I already told Verizon that it can't be like NY non Stop and was hoping for similarities to NY 1 and News 12, but I wont even see that , after reading the blog from multichannel news

Mac973

West Orange, NJ
reply to MeatChicken
said by MeatChicken:

It's also my understanding that the Fios1 news will be "local" tristate for all of us in NNJ, Long Island & Rockland/Westchester...
I'm in Bergen county, & I'm much more interested in "local" stories from closer Nassau, Hudson or Rockland counties, than for example, stories from Salem, Burlington or Glocester county NJ...

But that's my point. We are already getting "tri-state" news coverage from WABC, WNBC, WCBS, WNYW, WWOR and WPIX. Do we really need another news outlet with the same coverage area? I live in NJ and could care less about LI. The only thing I miss about cable is News 12 NJ that actually covers news in our local towns, rather than LI, NYC, or Westchester. We don't get news from Gloucester county or anywhere in south Jersey anyway so that's basically a moot point.