Premium Member
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME

Mr Neutron to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer

Re: Plastic water bottles in the sun

said by neonhomer:

The water does sell. Customers will grab the packages from outside and bring them in to pay for them.

I hate to say it, but most of the people coming in and complaining are elderly people. I told my wife to just tell them "If you don't like it, don't buy it."
Bingo.

Frankly, I'm not sure why those folks feel compelled to tell your wife how "dangerous" having bottled water out in the sun is. Something tells me that having too much spare time on one's hands can result in these sorts of displays of "public-spiritedness."

Vamp9190
Premium Member
join:2002-02-11
Chantilly, VA

1 edit

Vamp9190 to nklb

Premium Member

to nklb
said by nklb:

said by 8744675:

If the customers were really smart, they'd read the labels and realize those bottles of water contain water from some other city's municipal water supply and not some mountain spring like the label implies, and that they're paying about $20 a gallon for what they could get from their own tap for less than a penny!
That's true of some brands of bottled water (such as Dasani), but not all.
You (we) are not paying for the water, we are paying for the bottles and the convenience of having them to take on the road, in the car, to work, etc.

-----EDIT-----

Oh and just to be reasonable, when you buy a case of water, you pay a lot less than $20/gal.

Standard bottle is 16.9oz. x 24 = 405.6 / 128oz = 3.16 gallons

On sale you can find a case of water for $3.99 or so.

3.16 gal./ $3.99 = $1.26 per gallon

(I'm sure it costs more than a penny at home, but yes, it's cheaper than the store)
Vamp9190

Vamp9190 to Mr Neutron

Premium Member

to Mr Neutron
said by Mr Neutron:

said by neonhomer:

The water does sell. Customers will grab the packages from outside and bring them in to pay for them.

I hate to say it, but most of the people coming in and complaining are elderly people. I told my wife to just tell them "If you don't like it, don't buy it."
Bingo.

Frankly, I'm not sure why those folks feel compelled to tell your wife how "dangerous" having bottled water out in the sun is. Something tells me that having too much spare time on one's hands can result in these sorts of displays of "public-spiritedness."
Could be. Maybe people feel that saying something is equal to not looking the other way. Not really the same as watching someone get beaten up & not calling for help, but still...

Oh, and I would not tell customers "If you don't like it, don't buy it."
They will complain to the manager that you were rude to them (seriously).

Tell them, 'Thank you very much for pointing that out sir/ma'am, I will inform the manager.'
and if they come back and tell you again, let them know "Yes sir/ma'am, I remember you letting me know about this before & I have already informed the manager. Would you like to speak with him directly?"

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to neonhomer

MVM

to neonhomer
It's "Phthalates" you want to research.