CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium Member
join:2004-11-12

CableTool

Premium Member

Cook county Plat of Survey?

Howdy all-
We had some concrete done a number of years ago and never got our plat of survey back. After numerous attempts to get it from the contractor we gave up.

In any event, all past work did not need one. We are about to get a wood fence for the yard and will need it. What steps do I take to get it? Would our village have one on file? Do I have to go to a certain office or cook county building?

Any info would be great.

lev
Anyone else remember ISDN?

join:2001-05-30
Goodyear, AZ

lev

Your village will have something on file, and should charge no more than a dollar or two for a copy. I just got a plat from Northbrook two weeks ago, and it cost me $1.25, and took about 2 hours from the time I called until the time I picked it up.

CableTool
Premium Member

CableTool

Premium Member

I thought they would be they directed us to cook county. We actually ended up calling our closing lawyer when we refied a few years back. He said "Gimmie one sec..." and in 10 secs said "Yep, still have it on file. Ill email you the PDF"
2 mins later POP! In the inbox.

Thanks for the reply Lev!

Now to call for that fence!!

Anyone know if this is a good quote?
6' ShadowBox fence, 175' perimeter - $3,700.00

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy

MVM

Rule 1) NEVER give a contractor an original Plat of Survey. Only a copy. If you have it in PDF format that's a non issue. My original is squirrled away in the Safe Deposit Box with my Deed, Title etc. But they didn't have computers back when I purchased my home much less PDF's. When I purchased my home electricity and indoor plumbing were quite the items.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121 to CableTool

Premium Member

to CableTool
said by CableTool:

Anyone know if this is a good quote?
6' ShadowBox fence, 175' perimeter - $3,700.00
Cedar? How many gates and what size? Dirt removal included?

That is in the right ball park for this area, we paid a bit over 4k but with an extra gate and some extra work. Also, instead of the standard 4x4 posts, we paid a couple hundred extra for steel posts -- they are kind of U shaped and are completely covered by the wood so you don't see any metal. Suckers are REALLY strong, and will never rot.

CableTool
Premium Member

CableTool

Premium Member

6' high, 175' yard. Cedar. There are no gates although they are throwing in a free gate with bids over 2K so I might have one added. Dirt removal and removal of existing chain link is included.

Im more nervous about the cedar and how it will look after it weathers. I drive out in the west subs for work a lot, Glendale, Carol Stream etc and there are just rows and rows of cedar fences that are dark and ashey looking, weathered and ugly. I assume they should be sealed and coated regularly or will they loose that golden look after time regardless?

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

1 edit

jester121

Premium Member

The grey color is the natural weathered look, you can seal or treat it (wait 60 days after installation to allow the cedar to dry first). Most of the yards in our neighborhook have fences so treating the outer side isn't an option without climbing over. We've elected to be lazy and let it weather naturally.

However, with cedar you can get a power washer and blast it and it will look new again for a summer.

Here's some photos from our fence project in 07:

»picasaweb.google.com/jpm ··· Project#

(Lots of fun with neighbors encroaching over the property line, including 2 flower beds and some large trees.)

In the photos you can see the other neighbor's fence (he said it's 10 or 12 years old). Ours is still quite a bit lighter than his, but it's grey now and not "wood colored".

EDIT: Ours is 5' high, not 6'. In LZ you can't go above 6 unless you face a busy street.

CableTool
Premium Member

CableTool

Premium Member

Those pictures are awesome. We believe we have some property line issues as well. Time will tell.
Thanks for the info. Sealing my fence shouldnt take too long compared to yours!!!
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to JimThePCGuy

to JimThePCGuy
said by JimThePCGuy:

Rule 1) NEVER give a contractor an original Plat of Survey. Only a copy. If you have it in PDF format that's a non issue. My original is squirrled away in the Safe Deposit Box with my Deed, Title etc. But they didn't have computers back when I purchased my home much less PDF's. When I purchased my home electricity and indoor plumbing were quite the items.
It's not a big deal really. It's all recorded and a plat can be redone if you have to for about $300.00.