St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

1 edit

NOYB

Premium Member

Re: Request for an Odd Device (WoL)

Another device that can be configured with an all F's MAC clone is the D-Link WBR-1310 Version B1.

The D-Link WBR-1310 is pretty straight forward:

1. Restore factory default configuration

2. Set the Internet (WAN) connection type to static IP
a. IP Address: 192.168.1.254
b. Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
c. ISP Gateway: 192.168.1.x (were x can be your real gateway or something bogus like 252)
d. MAC Address: FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
e. Primary DNS Address: 192.168.1.x (were x can be your real gateway or something bogus like 252)

3. Disable Wireless Network

4. Enable Remote Management on Port 80

5. Disconnect from the LAN port, and connect the WAN port to your network.

6. Configure ISP Router to forward port 9 to 192.168.1.254

7. Configure target computer(s) for Wake-on-LAN

Test:
1. Send WoL packet from internet tool such as the Broadband Reports WoL tool on port 9
2. ISP Router sends out an ARP request for 192.168.1.254
3. The modified device (192.168.1.254) responds to the ARP request with it's all F's MAC.
4. Router forwards the WoL Packet to 192.168.1.254 via Ethernet address FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF, a broadcast.
5. Machine specified in WoL packet wakes up.

Success!!! No more having to make the manual static ARP entry which does not survive a router restart.

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera

MVM

I believe MI424WR runs Linux and therefore it is possible to have a manual static ARP entry that survives router restart. I've done this on Linksys wrt54 low-cost router.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

said by bbarrera:

I believe MI424WR runs Linux and therefore it is possible to have a manual static ARP entry that survives router restart. I've done this on Linksys wrt54 low-cost router.

Though it is possible to create a manual static ARP entry (see faq and thread referenced in first post of this thread), to my knowledge no one has been able to make it survive a reboot.

Did you have to do anything extra/special to make it survive a reboot or power cycle of the LinkSys WRT54?

bbarrera
MVM
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera

MVM

said by NOYB:

Did you have to do anything extra/special to make it survive a reboot or power cycle of the LinkSys WRT54?
On wrt54 there is no web interface for static ARP so you just add two lines to the init script in Tomato or DD-WRT firmware, and that creates a static ARP entry after every reboot. Info about static ARP commands available at this link:
»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/inde ··· .php/WOL

in that example you replace .254 and ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff with your real IP and real MAC address.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

The Actiontec MI424WR does not seem to have the capilities for end user to make the manual static ARP entry permenent (auto apply at boot up).

bbarrera
MVM
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera

MVM

I'm sure it does, however its a bit hidden. It runs Linux and therefore can be told to run commands at startup.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

Yes but how to save them in the NV memory?

For example we can create a /etc/ethers file for use with ARP, but upon reboot it is gone. If you or anyone can come up with the method to save and auto apply it at boot time myself and many others are all ears.

Also a colleague at work has a DIR615 which does not support telnet etc. so he cannot create a static ARP entry. The D-Link WBR-1310 will be used for his WoL broadcast forwarding.

bbarrera
MVM
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera

MVM

Its open source, and therefore possible. One option is to recompile the Actiontec firmware and add appropriate hooks to do it. I don't know enough about the MI424WR to really say.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I've got two business class routers, one forwards to LAN broadcast address, and the other (Linux-based) supports static ARP in GUI. So WoL works for me and even if it didn't I've got a low-power server on the LAN always running that can act as a proxy. I'm pushing the vendor to add directed broadcast support for WoL and a few other protocols that require it, there is an interesting article on the Cisco site if you are interested (Cisco supports enabling/disabling directed broadcasts). Some NAS boxes run Linux and might be open enough to act as WoL proxy.