join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub

Smokey Bear

Premium Member

Re: [FUDGE] Worm bypasses Software like DeepFreeze

Follow up: Faronics have contacted me.

Official Statement on behalf of Faronics Corporation

11th of June 2009

Faronics is aware of the report that a worm called "W32.SafeSys.Worm" is able to "bypass" Deep Freeze and other competing products. However, we have not been able to confirm the accuracy of the report and at this time have been unable to reproduce these results in our lab. We will continue to investigate the issue. As always, we continue to recommend that customers use an antivirus product in combination with Deep Freeze. Please refer to the White Papers section of the Faronics Content Library for information regarding how to use Deep Freeze with many popular antivirus products.

Brent Smithurst
Vice President, Technical Operations
Faronics Corporation

Vampirefo
Premium Member
join:2000-12-11
Huntington, WV

1 edit

Vampirefo

Premium Member

It may not be fud, I remember a few years ago, one could get around Deep freeze. eg disable Deep Freeze.

The only way to know for sure is to get the worm and test it against Deep Freeze.

This is just one example »www.ethicalhacker.net/co ··· c,658.0/ I am sure you could find more via google.

Grimm43
You Never Hear The One That Kills You
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Largo, FL

Grimm43 to Smokey Bear

Premium Member

to Smokey Bear
said by Smokey Bear:

Follow up: Faronics have contacted me.

Official Statement on behalf of Faronics Corporation

11th of June 2009

Faronics is aware of the report that a worm called "W32.SafeSys.Worm" is able to "bypass" Deep Freeze and other competing products. However, we have not been able to confirm the accuracy of the report and at this time have been unable to reproduce these results in our lab. We will continue to investigate the issue. As always, we continue to recommend that customers use an antivirus product in combination with Deep Freeze. Please refer to the White Papers section of the Faronics Content Library for information regarding how to use Deep Freeze with many popular antivirus products.

Brent Smithurst
Vice President, Technical Operations
Faronics Corporation
This is a much more diplomatic response than I got but I am glad they emailed you as I asked.

So I guess we wait and see, I mean with over 100 variants they should be able to find a sample to test with.

I did a search myself and could find no mention of it that did not directly or indirectly come from Bkav.

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium Member
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub

Smokey Bear

Premium Member

said by Grimm43:

This is a much more diplomatic response than I got but I am glad they emailed you as I asked.

So I guess we wait and see, I mean with over 100 variants they should be able to find a sample to test with.

I did a search myself and could find no mention of it that did not directly or indirectly come from Bkav.
In public, diplomacy is a must. BTW, I am still in contact with Faronics and Softpedia, when there is news to report I will let you know.