SLD
Premium Member
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA

SLD to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: Gov't and clear goals don't belong in the same sentence

And your source for this statements comes from??? Hannity?
lesopp
join:2001-06-27
Land O Lakes, FL

lesopp

I think it comes from Amtrack's balance sheet.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail to SLD

Premium Member

to SLD
said by SLD:
said by FFH5:
said by SLD:

Such Republican political talking points. Keep in mind that Corporate = profit -> worse than waste because they take as much extras as they can at your expense.
(Corporate costs + profits) is still less $ than (gov't inefficiency + no profits). And that is the formula that matters.
And your source for this statements comes from??? Hannity?
How's this for a source.
»www.wallstats.com/deathandtaxes/

Can you give an example of a situation
where there was no meaningful accounting
for discretionary spending,
that wasn't riddled with spending abuse?

NV

SLD
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

SLD

Premium Member

LOL...*that's* your source. No wonder you are so misguided!

rawgerz
The hell was that?
Premium Member
join:2004-10-03
Grove City, PA

rawgerz to Noah Vail

Premium Member

to Noah Vail
From what I can remember reading was that the Bush administration wanted everyone the opportunity to own a home. I even remember him publicly stating this on TV. And was told that the mortgage companies were roped into lending money to risky individuals because of new legislation.
So this sort of comes full circle huh?
And being republican you are against gov regulation, so I hope you won't complain over the once again rising fuel costs thanks to our free market speculators. Or when your job is outsourced to China and you're stuck working at Walmart, thank the free market.

Nothing is more patriotic than buying your Chinese made "I support the troops" magnet to affix to your Toyota.

Bit00
Premium Member
join:2009-02-19

4 edits

Bit00

Premium Member

said by rawgerz:

From what I can remember reading was that the Bush administration wanted everyone the opportunity to own a home. I even remember him publicly stating this on TV. And was told that the mortgage companies were roped into lending money to risky individuals because of new legislation.
So this sort of comes full circle huh?
That was during the Clinton Administration.

Fannie Mae Eases Credit To Aid Mortgage Lending
»www.nytimes.com/1999/09/ ··· wanted=1

And the NY Times accurately predicted the Fannie and Freddie collapse that was to come, a full DECADE before it happened.
said by New York Times Sept 30 1999 :
In moving, even tentatively, into this new area of lending, Fannie Mae is taking on significantly more risk, which may not pose any difficulties during flush economic times. But the government-subsidized corporation may run into trouble in an economic downturn, prompting a government rescue similar to that of the savings and loan industry in the 1980's.

''From the perspective of many people, including me, this is another thrift industry growing up around us,'' said Peter Wallison a resident fellow at the American Enterprise Institute. ''If they fail, the government will have to step up and bail them out the way it stepped up and bailed out the thrift industry.''
Sound familiar? It should, that is EXACTLY what happened.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
SouthAmerica

1 recommendation

Noah Vail to SLD

Premium Member

to SLD
said by SLD:

LOL...*that's* your source. No wonder you are so misguided!
My Source is a diagrammed version of the US Budget; itself sourced from the President's official budget request and the comptroller of the Department of Defense.

You find those to be unreliable sources of information. I suppose they just don't carry the same weight for you, that Entertainment Tonight and MTV do.

NV

Bit00
Premium Member

4 edits

Bit00 to rawgerz

Premium Member

to rawgerz
said by rawgerz:

Nothing is more patriotic than buying your Chinese made "I support the troops" magnet to affix to your Toyota.
And what is wrong with supporting our troops as well as driving a car built in the US by US workers?

»www.toyota.com/about/our ··· map_usa/

Toyota has US manufacturing plants in California, Kentucky, Indiana, Mississippi, W Virginia, Alabama and Texas building 11 Toyota and Lexus models. They have over 350 NA parts vendors and also have US R&D and design centers.

When you buy a US built Toyota not only do you get a great reliable car, you are also supporting tens of thousands of American auto workers their suppliers and their dealers.

SLD
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

1 edit

SLD to Noah Vail

Premium Member

to Noah Vail
Ooohhh... a diagramed version. Here is what I found:

"WallStats.com is the home of 28 year-old creative wizard Jess Bachman."

Now that's a source I can trust! And it's for sale! LOL!!!

Bit00
Premium Member

1 edit

Bit00

Premium Member

Dig deeper, in their FAQ they state what their sources are.

»www.wallstats.com/deathandtaxes/

Plus favorable quotes from NPR, OpenCongress.org, Silvan, NASA Mission Director Madden of the GSFC, US Joint Systems Command, etc.
quote:
The figures used to create the graph come directly from the President's official budget request and the comptroller of the Department of Defense. The Intelligence budget figures are estimates from globalsecurity.org.

SLD
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

SLD

Premium Member

Well, I'm sure that "creative wizard" Jess Bachman got all the math right, and he is a perfect source of informational opinion to backup your arguments. Me, I prefer something a bit more established.

Bit00
Premium Member

1 edit

Bit00

Premium Member

Well, if you have contradicting data disproving its accuracy, we would love to see it.

SLD
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

SLD

Premium Member

Look, Googling for data during a debate and posting the first link you find isn't going to impress anyone. If you don't know much, just stand back and read what is stated by those with education.

Good night.

Bit00
Premium Member

Bit00

Premium Member

So you have nothing, that is what I figured.

rawgerz
The hell was that?
Premium Member
join:2004-10-03
Grove City, PA

rawgerz to Bit00

Premium Member

to Bit00
What's wrong with it? Same thing that's wrong with US flags made in China, it's ridiculous.
And if anything, Bush supported the Clinton's legislation. So he contributed. I am a supporter of neither. You'd think any idiot would realize that not every person is responsible to pay back loans, much less be able to in a country that now predominately produces currency as it's main export.

Now to Toyota, assembly is one thing, but manufacturing is another. And I doubt that most, if any of the parts are made here. The design team certainly is not, it is a Japanese brand after all. And one way or another, part of that purchase price goes overseas. Maybe Honda does more exporting from Japan then Toyota, so Toyota might have not been the best example.

Now you could argue that even domestic auto dealers get parts imported from Canada and somewhat from Mexico, but I'd rather support a neighboring country than one across the Pacific. And even some jobs going to Mexico support people that most likely would consider crossing the boarder in the lack of.

But consider this, when the Chinese auto manufactures start exporting their very, very, cheap cars to the US, what will be the effect? Likely the "Walmartized" public will take to them like they were crack and abandon even the "domestic-foreign" car makers. Do you think the plants Toyota and Honda has in the US will be shut down and moved back overseas to cut costs? I believe yes. All the while supporting a Communist country with an army as large, if not larger than ours. It may in fact be too late to cut the ties and move manufacturing stateside once again without getting into a major war. They are addicted to the "American" lifestyle with their Chinese made black Lincolns/Buicks and brand new highway.
Giving a country with more than a Billion citizens that much leverage won't have a favorable outcome in the long run.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail to SLD

Premium Member

to SLD
said by SLD:

Look, Googling for data during a debate and posting the first link you find isn't going to impress anyone. If you don't know much, just stand back and read what is stated by those with education.Good night.
If I had to defend your position, I'd run away too, after running my mouth.

Jess Bachman's extrapolation of government data caught the attention of Boingboing which ran an interview with him in 2006 over his project and then again in 2008.

His discretionary spending graphs have been enlarged and featured on the halls of US government installations such as The Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

Even though you feel you can judge the validity of US Budgetary data better than the US Department of Energy, I'm afraid you're just too far removed from reality to pull that off.

Any maybe you believe the Boingboing columnist has been snookered for 2 years running, along with tens of thousands of digg users and (CASN) at the University of California Berkeley Graduate School of Education who've offered it as a portion of their education curriculum.

Given the what else you've offered here as debate, I can see you glorifying your personal opinion as being more authoritative than all of the above. Such a disconnection between evidence and belief also tells me that you must have been a strong O'Bama supporter before the election.

NV

Bit00
Premium Member

4 edits

Bit00 to rawgerz

Premium Member

to rawgerz
You can try to justify which non-American workers get the jobs with Ford or GM, but for the American worker who doesn't get a job because of it, it is beyond irrelevant.

As a result, the Mustang has 70% "domestic content" and the Camry 75%. The AALA defines domestic content as content from both US and Canada but not Mexico.

And yeah, if the Chinese make great cars for cheap, they will sell well. But if they are pieces of crap, they will go the way of Yugo and the first gen Hyundais. Meanwhile those same evil Chinese are buying Buicks hand over fist.

So instead of insisting on competing by forcing mediocrity on the marketplace as the UAW would love to see, how about competing with compelling products. If the Japanese can build great cars with high domestic content, why can't GM? Why can't Ford? Why did it take decades to release decent looking cars like the Malibu and Traverse instead of the Aztek and Malibu Maxx? Who is the dumbass who pushed the Contour? Why is it taking until 2010 to get the killer little cars sold in Europe like the Ford Fiesta and where is our UK spec Fusion or Kuga crossovers? Fact is GM and Ford for the last two decades have saved their best models for foreign markets, leaving us with hideous and boring dookie like the Escape and revious gen Malibu.

Durable goods aren't shoes. People don't Wal-martize cars and NEVER have and NEVER will. Even a cheap car is expensive. You don't see Hyundai and Kia outselling Toyota and Honda and they were no where to be seen when they had horrible quality. Shitty cars have never sold well in the last 20 years. The manufacturers and models with very high quality and resale value are the ones who sold well, government pickup truck and rental fleet buying aside...they proped up horrible Ford and GM sedan sales for years.

Of course you are free to over pay for a crappy car if you want, but my dollar goes to the car and truck that offers me the best overall value. I'm not a philanthropist and refuse to flush my hard earned money down a toilet buying an inferior product, I don't care who made it.

SLD
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

SLD to Noah Vail

Premium Member

to Noah Vail
Your conclusion is absolutely incorrect about my political support of Obama, thus your other conclusions may be just as incorrect as well.

Bit00
Premium Member

Bit00

Premium Member

Fallacy of hasty generalization.
Bit00

1 edit

Bit00 to Noah Vail

Premium Member

to Noah Vail
Here is a few gems for ya

»www.marketwatch.com/stor ··· -billion
»www.marketwatch.com/stor ··· al-fraud

SLD
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

SLD to Bit00

Premium Member

to Bit00
Thank you for making my point.

Bit00
Premium Member

2 edits

Bit00

Premium Member

...and that was what, that you didn't have one?

If you are going to claim that the information provided was incorrect and you have data supporting this claim, by all means, provide it. Dodging the expectations that you support your contentions with data is not "a point".

SLD
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

SLD

Premium Member

My point is (and was) based on pure logic. Logic is, in itself, inherently correct. If you wish to disprove logic by Wikipedia-surfing, you won't get very far.
lesopp
join:2001-06-27
Land O Lakes, FL

lesopp to SLD

to SLD
said by SLD:

Well, I'm sure that "creative wizard" Jess Bachman got all the math right
As did the 25 year old car czar that stole money from the Indiana pension fund and handed it over to the UAW

Bit00
Premium Member

2 edits

Bit00 to SLD

Premium Member

to SLD
LOL. Uh huh. Your logic is laughable. It doesn't take Wikipedia to recognize that and I've gotten far enough to show you as full of it.

I have asked quite a few times now if you have proof backing up your assertion that the information was wrong and as many times as I have asked, you have evaded.

So I will ask yet again if you can back up your conjecture with fact. Continuing to evade the question just reaffirms that you are full of it.

Show us your evidence that the data shown in the poster if factually incorrect.

SLD
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

SLD

Premium Member

Again, that data has no bearing on my point, thus I have no interest in arguing it. Though it made for a good laugh, and it exemplifies the lack of knowledge coming from you two.

If you insist on having the last word (or multiple posts in your situation), please do.

Bit00
Premium Member

1 edit

Bit00

Premium Member

That is what I figured, you have no point. You are full of shit and can't back up your conjecture.

SLD
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

2 edits

SLD

Premium Member

Keep trolling... you are obviously too bullheaded to read my posts and understand the logic behind my point. When you finish highschool, come on back!

Bit00
Premium Member

Bit00

Premium Member

When you are ready to support your conjecture with actual facts, come on back!

SLD
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

SLD

Premium Member

[Yawn]