Search similar:

uniqs
plat2on1
join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

plat2on1 to pittpete1

to pittpete1

Re: Frontier DSL in NY Latency and packet loss issues

i'm not so sure that would be a router in the local CO, more likely the aggregation point for this area which i believe is across the river in monroe.
pittpete1
join:2009-06-12

pittpete1

plat, i think your right.
Tech came out, saw the reports from the line quality tests.
He made a copy and also called an IT guy.
They transferred me to another port-from DLS3 to DSL2
Lets see what happens.
Plat I would love to switch to comcast for my ISP, but Im in a contract w/ Frontier till 2010.
They have been accomodating so lets see what happens I guess.
plat2on1
Hopewell Junction, NY

plat2on1 to pittpete1

to pittpete1
contract ouch not much incentive for them to move fast
pittpete1

pittpete1

Was speaking to a Verizon tech(old buddy of mine)who does DSL repairs/installs and I told him of my siuation.
He told me that the distance from the remote fiber term to the CO was probably too great in distance and was stressing the connection.
He told me to ask Frontier to drop my speed to 1.5 and he assured me my packet loss would be straightened out.
Make sense to anyone?
plat2on1
Hopewell Junction, NY

plat2on1

no, not at all. i definitely wouldn't want that guy to show up to fix my dsl

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to pittpete1

MVM

to pittpete1
What were your SNRs before you got your speed lowered? In my area, the techs try to keep the SNR at 15dB or above, and if they can't, they lower your speed if your line is having resyncing issues. If you post up your current line stats from Gateway Health > Statistics > DSL , I'd like that.
plat2on1
Hopewell Junction, NY

plat2on1

he posted earlier in this thread

DS SNR-28.5 & DS Atten.-30.5

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Ah, thanks for finding that. I guess in this case since his SNR is very high and his attenuation is lower than on my line's, that he just got turned down for the heck of it. Sure, if his SNR was something crappy such as 6dB, yeah I can see why Frontier would want to turn down the speed but his line didn't need to be touched at all speed wise, packet loss or not.
pittpete1

pittpete1

Ill post levels when I get home.
They were fine from the getgo
pittpete1

1 edit

pittpete1

US SNR is 20
DS SNR is 22
DS Atten 29.5
Update though**
Frontier Tech called back out of the blue and told me that Frontier IT was monitoring the equipment in my area etc...After seeing some problems in one of thier Fiber trunks,they would indeed be replacing a piece of equipment.He said if I was still experiencing any packet loss after he transferred my line to another port last week it would/should be cleared up after this.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

Heh, so it seems as though I was right! Once the packet loss is fixed if you haven't already, get them to turn your speed back up and set you onto Fast mode instead of Interleaved if you haven't done that yet.
pittpete1

pittpete1

Smith, my speeds were never lowered.
A tech I knew said they could possibly try that to see
Im strill awaiting this magic fix as gaming tonight was horrendous

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.
pittpete1

pittpete1

Hey, just to update...
Ive been having a problem with packet loss since June 12th.
3 weeks back the 2nd tech out on this trouble told me Frontiers IT dept. was seeing inconsistent packetloss in one of thier trunks.
He stated it would take a week or 2 to replace a piece of equipment and it should "hopefully fix my packetloss issues"..
He didnt seem too confident in his message on my answering machine and I believe this as far as I could throw the guy.
Anyway, online gaming is still laggy as hell and I called back in yesterday to tech support and went through the same old crap,uncheck my firewall,testing my line,reading the attn levels,speed tests etc...
I asked the guy to connect me to Tier 2 support and please not to send another tech to start all over again with the BS.
He told me he was sorry and couldnt do anything but send out another tech today..
Bottom line, tech never showed up,no one called and I'm cancelling my service.
Plat, I have Comcast next week..Heres to hoping its better than this garbage Frontier is putting out.
Oh BTW, they told me I have to pay a $200 termination fee.
What are my rights if any on cancelling a poor service?
plat2on1
Hopewell Junction, NY

plat2on1 to pittpete1

to pittpete1
i don't know what your rights are but i'd tell them you are not paying it because they refused to fix your service. if they come after you for it you will probably have to take them to court.
pittpete1

2 edits

pittpete1

Just to update
I called back on Tuesday and they told me there was an outage in my area and something was being worked on.
Doubt it would fix anything,hahahah...
Get home today(Thursday) and my wife says internet is not working,so I unplug the DSL modem,plug it back in and run a line quality test.
My IP changed so could they possibly have fixed something?
Holy crap, look at my line test.....
No more packet loss and I passed all tests.
I was running a little app called VE NETWORK CATCHER LITE and saw no packets dropped after 10 minutes of testing.
I will give them a few days of quality service B4 I cancel Comcast.
I'll keep this thread updated
**update-all line quality tests passing..
so far so good

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

Heh, glad to see it's fixed. I did notice that Frontier purchased a new IP range lately so I'm wondering if that might have any relevance. Are the speeds a little higher now that the packet loss is gone?
pittpete1

pittpete1

According to speed tests, they seem a tad bit higher.
plat2on1
Hopewell Junction, NY

plat2on1 to pittpete1

to pittpete1
honestly its a shame it got fixed i hate seeing money go into frontiers pockets they should not be rewarded for their terrible service.

12/2 for 42.95 with comcast or 3/384 for 49.99 with frontier

frontier can jump off a bridge
pittpete1

pittpete1

Plat, Im paying 19.99 till Dec 2009 and in Jan 2010 it goes up to 29.99
If Comcast would have paid my ETF of $250 to Fropntier I would've left no problem...
plat2on1
Hopewell Junction, NY

plat2on1

ah i haven't had frontier since 2003 when it was $50 a month for 1/128 and their website says $49.99 but i guess they give you a "deal" to keep you locked up
pittpete1

pittpete1

Yeah, thats the deal per say but if u want to leave then the ETF
Alls well still, keep my fingers crossed and thank god for DirectTv..
Go Steelers!!!!