spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mishkin8

join:2005-09-12

need sat for camp, prefer monthly cap not daily

I am in NB canada and am looking for satellite Internet, only used for the camp 3-4 months a year (road is too steep for plowing / driving back up)

looking at some of these and usage cap is like 200mb which is nothing

(on my 3.6mbit dls I've pushed 4TB in 2 months before :P)

anyways I'm looking for minimum 25gb / month , 50-100 would be better

daily cap is really bad for me since I'll use like maybe 3 days and the not use it until 10 days later

prefer not to install myself and also prefer it not be throttled incase i wanna download a tv show

any input appricated

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5

Nothing is impossible, but basically it works like this: Do you have a budget of several thousand dollars per month plus many thousands for install?

If the answer to both of those is yes I think you can find a commercial service that will sell to you at the service levels you are asking for.

There is a slim-to-none chance that a consumer-grade service will meet much of what you are looking for, with no contract.
--
W2K Server|Toshiba Satellite XP Pro|iDirect 3100 on Datastorm 1.2 meter XF3 with 4-watt BUC|HughesNet G28/1070/7000s Pro on 2-watt Datastorm G74|Sprint Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of PC-OPI and DSSatTool

tobicat
Premium
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ
reply to mishkin8

Here you go.

»www.skycasters.com/broadband-sat···are.html

But if you download Tb's a month I don't understand why you even bother to go to your camp you must never go outside.
--
9000 spaceway III, 7000S SatMex 5 990, Dlink wirless

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa

Notice that the highest plan you are showing fails to meet one of the requirements, for $999 per month - it is only 12GB down, and I suspect the two-year contract doesn't sound so good either.

I still say to meet all the needs will be thousands per month.
--
W2K Server|Toshiba Satellite XP Pro|iDirect 3100 on Datastorm 1.2 meter XF3 with 4-watt BUC|HughesNet G28/1070/7000s Pro on 2-watt Datastorm G74|Sprint Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of PC-OPI and DSSatTool

tobicat
Premium
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ

Yea I saw that but it was the only I found easy. I was just trying to show the cost for such nonsense.

Ain't you and Blue Thunder supposed to be rolling down the road?
--
9000 spaceway III, 7000S SatMex 5 990, Dlink wirless

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa

Been sitting for a long spell - planning to mosey up into the Canadian Rockies and environs next month.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to mishkin8

Sat internet tops out at about 17GB per month download capacity (WildBlue on their $80/month plan) unless you're willing to do your downloading during off-peak hours (midnight to 6 am for StarBand, 2 am to 6 am for Hughes I believe). However the "free period" providers are either more restrictive on daytime caps or more expensive overall.

bbinabox

join:2009-02-27
Louisville, KY
kudos:1
reply to mishkin8

mishkin8, I just asked what it would take to do a service for you at 25 G per month, 50 G and 100G per month. I'm not sure what is going to come out of this request, but I like that you're asking here. You never receive anything unless you ask, so thanks for a great question.

I'll keep you posted.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa

You did notice that he was not likely to be anywhere that would have the necessary cellular return line for your Edge system, yes?

bbinabox

join:2009-02-27
Louisville, KY
kudos:1

dbirdman, yes I did, I asked thinking of the PSTN return modem.

mishkin8, allow me to answer your Q with a Q: how much are you willing to pay for a 25, 50, 100? Just discussed it.

Does anyone think there is demand like this on a more global scale?

I am thinking out loud here: how about $160.00/month for 25G? $320.00/month for 50G? $640/month for 100G?