spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

testz

@gewatersystems.com

Cheapest landline phone service providers in Ottawa?

Other than Teksavvy and Bell, do you guys know any other landslide (POTS, not VOIP) phone service provider in Ottawa?

We only need the landline phone for emergency purpose only, so we are going to go with the cheapest option.

Teksavvy's price is 21$ per month... and Bell is a little bit higher.

Thanks!

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

As POTS is a regulated service, you won't find it cheaper.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Analytic

join:2009-02-09
kudos:1

1 edit

said by DKS:

As POTS is a regulated service, you won't find it cheaper.
Not exactly true. It is regulated as far as what Bell can charge retail customers and its resellers (such as Teksavvy), however resellers and companies with own COLOs can charge whatewer they want. Given the wholesale rates Bell is charging, resellers cannot really undercut Bell's retail pricing by much.
Primus has own facilities in Ottawa and if you can be reached from our COLO, you can get basic service for $19.95. We do not really market it, but you can get it by calling our call centre and asking.

testz

@gewatersystems.com

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if Primus telephone service would still be working if the hydro is down, similar to the Bell network?

jyeung
inspiration reality
Premium
join:2004-03-30
North York, ON

Yes. Primus is a landline service. Allstream should also provide service as well, although not residential (only SMB/enterprise).

- Jason

Analytic

1 edit
reply to testz

said by testz :

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if Primus telephone service would still be working if the hydro is down, similar to the Bell network?
Jason is right. The service I am talking about is a landline. We also have a less expensive VOIP, but you have specifically asked for POTS.

jazz

@acanac.net
reply to testz

Are there any fees on top of that $19.95 rate? And can you get Bell wholesale DSL with a Primus POTS line?

emoci

join:2007-05-29
Toronto, ON
reply to testz

The price for a basic landline btw Primus/TSI/Bell is not very different (runs at about $22 after Touch Tone/911 fees differs with about $1 or so between providers)...

Now if you want a few features then start shopping around....

testz

@teksavvy.com

Thanks for the info... I guess the lowest price is ~20 for the most basic line with 911 service.

It's too bad that we have to pay so much for only an emergency line.

I wonder if we connect a phone to the dry line, does that line still supports 911? If it works, does 911 rep. still able to see our address through the dry line or not.

rockyisfat

@hostgator.com
reply to testz

Yes you can dial 911 from a dry loop line, and yes 911 will be able to see you're address.

Analytic

reply to jazz

said by jazz :

Are there any fees on top of that $19.95 rate? And can you get Bell wholesale DSL with a Primus POTS line?
Yes, there is a 911 fee (40 cents). Also, depending on LD plan selected and if there is actual usage there might be LD plan fee and network charge, but these are related to LD, not home phone.

Analytic

reply to testz

said by testz :

Given that (a) there is regulated Bell's price that is market benchmark and (b) even companies having own COLO equipment need to lease the local loop from Bell monopoly (which is not cheap) - this is not likely to change.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22
reply to testz

said by testz :

Thanks for the info... I guess the lowest price is ~20 for the most basic line with 911 service.

I wonder if we connect a phone to the dry line, does that line still supports 911? If it works, does 911 rep. still able to see our address through the dry line or not.
A cellphone can dial 911 even if you don't pay your bill and it's deactivated. So you don't have to pay so much for an emergency line. You can get it free.

jazz

@acanac.net
reply to testz

TBBPM,

So you're not sure whether I can get Primus POTS while keeping Bell wholesale DSL (*not* Primus DSL) "wet"?

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·voip.ms

2 edits
reply to testz

If you have the circuit number, wholesale DSL can be cut into the line... as the copper wire is still bells regardless of who you are with for phone.

I personally have a DRY LINE and use Primus for VOIP service hooked up to a UPS, so should the power go out, I got a good hour of inet and phone service. Usually in urban centers power doesn't go off long. Anything past that.. My cell will provide me with what I need.

Analytic

reply to jazz

said by jazz :

TBBPM,

So you're not sure whether I can get Primus POTS while keeping Bell wholesale DSL (*not* Primus DSL) "wet"?
You should be able to.

jazz

@acanac.net
reply to testz

Thanks TBBPM. One more question, do you know if there is typically any downtime in switching a Bell POTS line over to Primus?

testz

@gewatersystems.com
reply to rockyisfat

Yes you can dial 911 from a dry loop line, and yes 911 will be able to see you're address.
I just tried this at my friend place. 911 didn't work from the dry loop. I guess this is a myth.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22

It is a myth. I didn't even used to have a dial tone on my dry loop.

newspeeds

@rogers.com
reply to testz

TekSavvy's VoIP is very expensive.

They're are many other providers that are cheap and or better.

Vbuzzer.com is very good, so is voip.ms. There is a place to start.

Madwand

join:2002-12-03
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to testz

So why would you call 911 to try it out. It it had gone through you could potentially have delayed someone from a legitimate call to 911.

Did you ever think of calling Bell to see if it would work first?

I know it's great to save a dime here and there, but come on guys... think before you do things!

Analytic

reply to jazz

said by jazz :

Thanks TBBPM. One more question, do you know if there is typically any downtime in switching a Bell POTS line over to Primus?
Normally should not be more than few minutes.

apn

join:2009-05-07
canada

LNP ports are typically 2-4wks and in two recent port requests (one from Bell, the other from Rogers), I found no downtime: quite the opposite, both services worked at the time of the switchover.