Search similar:

uniqs

Anub1s
join:2003-05-04
Cleveland, OH

1 edit

Anub1s

Virtual Box hard locks when VT enabled E8400 core2duo Ubuntu

9.04. Vbox 2.2, and beta 3.0 both fail. I don't have any error logs as it hard locks the system so, that none gets outputted. Last time VT worked I had an E6600 c2d on my current XFX680iLT SLI nforce board. 8GB of OCZ ram mixed (2Fatality series SLI rated ram), 800mhz DDR, nvidia 9500gt, WD sataII drives. PVR150 tuner.

I thought the lock up was with Ubuntu 9.04 but I filed a bug that has gone nowhere. »bugs.launchpad.net/ubunt ··· g/347487

I thought maybe the ram, so I tried swapped my ram in and out to test each module. But this is the same ram that worked before. The only things to change were the chip and the OS. Both chips I had/have are VT equipped. I have tried older Ubuntu kernels, compiled my own kernel. I'm at a wall, and I finally need to ask for help. #Vbox on freenode is not helpful, Uubntu's bug report on this issue is dead. If ANYONE has the same hardware as me, could you please test. 32bit guest or not, enable VT and see if your system hard locks. I would love to solve this.

KodiacZiller
Premium Member
join:2008-09-04

KodiacZiller

Premium Member

It looks like there are several people in your bug thread with the same issue. So, it looks to be a real issue.

Have you tried getting VB directly from Sun's website?

disturbed1
Premium Member
join:2003-09-06
Columbus, OH

disturbed1

Premium Member

On my e8400 Virtual Box works with VT enabled on Slackware64 and Slackware32bit.

Try using the bin file from »www.VirtualBox.org. ( »download.virtualbox.org/ ··· md64.run )This is a simple installation file.
If VT still can not be enabled, you have a faulty kernel. I believe Ubuntu offers generic unhacked kernels, try one of those.

Anub1s
Cleveland, OH

Anub1s to KodiacZiller

to KodiacZiller
said by KodiacZiller:

Have you tried getting VB directly from Sun's website?
Yes
Anub1s

Anub1s to disturbed1

to disturbed1
said by disturbed1:

On my e8400 Virtual Box works with VT enabled on Slackware64 and Slackware32bit.

Try using the bin file from »www.VirtualBox.org. ( »download.virtualbox.org/ ··· md64.run )This is a simple installation file.
If VT still can not be enabled, you have a faulty kernel. I believe Ubuntu offers generic unhacked kernels, try one of those.
»wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelMa ··· neBuilds

I've tried several kernels, but thanks for the feed back. I think it may just be Ubuntu. But again, I've compiled fresh kernels »wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTe ··· nelBuild so I'm not sure it is Ubuntu's patches to the kernel.

Regardless the method of install it locks.

I did just find this though.

»forums.virtualbox.org/vi ··· &start=0

disturbed1
Premium Member
join:2003-09-06
Columbus, OH

disturbed1

Premium Member

said by Anub1s:

I've tried several kernels, but thanks for the feed back. I think it may just be Ubuntu. But again, I've compiled fresh kernels »wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTe ··· nelBuild so I'm not sure it is Ubuntu's patches to the kernel.
Following the above steps doesn't appear to use any patches, only the config file. Which can still configure a faulty kernel. Or it could be a simple Ubuntu start up script that forces something to run that doesn't need to run.

The problem with all of the reports - on the Virtual Box forum and LaunchPad - there only one log attached. Either a syslog, Xorg log, or even a Virtual Box log would be needed for them to diagnose the problem. If other people also attach their logs, they could find the common denominator to the problem.

Virtual Box logs are located in $HOME/.VirtualBox/Machines/$MACHINE/Logs

I'd check other virtualization products to see if this boils down to a whole Ubuntu issue, or just Ubuntu + Virtual Box. VMWare can use VT extensions. KVM doesn't use the same type of extensions, but a kernel based module. I believe Ubuntu makes it extremely easy to use KVM with Fedora/Red Hat's libvirt.

FWIW, on my system, I've found KVM a tad faster than Virtual Box. Clearly not as user friendly KVM can also use as many cores as you tell it to, and emulate other CPUs regardless of native arch (ARM, MIPS, any x86 cpu and x86_64 cpu, PPC ......)

Anub1s
Cleveland, OH

Anub1s

I greatly appreciate your detailed feedback, and we are on the same page. I did try to use KVM because I was thinking the same as you. Once the KVM module loaded upon boot, the system froze. I have not tried to use KVM since, and this was maybe a month or two ago. I figured KVM was a little buggy. I also thought that with the popularity of Virtualbox, surely others would have the same issues and following the VBox route would produce a fix quicker. I was wrong about that.

I did check $HOME/.VirtualBox/Machines/$MACHINE/Logs, many times, but the VMs freeze and produce a 0 byte log file.

Sometimes I think maybe I got a bad E8400. But I'd hate to pull this one and reinsert my E6600 just to test that theory.

gschneider
Premium Member
join:2003-10-25
ON, Canada

1 edit

gschneider

Premium Member

Can't really offer any help, but I can tell you what does work on my similar setup:

E8400, 4GB RAM, 32bit 9.04
VBox 2.2 from the Virtualbox site
Stopped KVM service on login (VM doesn't start otherwise)
Enabled all the CPU features in Virtualbox

Anub1s
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

Anub1s

SOLVED!

I solved this for me. The cause, garbage BIOS (ver. P08)from XFX for my 680iLT. I had to use the BIOS for the board above mine (ver P33). Once I flashed to P33 BIOS for this board, ALL is well. P08 does not have the best Wolfdale support. P33 has the best support for this CPU. I had no idea I had to use a BIOS that was NOT designed for my board in order to solve this issue for me.

Whew, that took a LOT of googling, and reading, to track down the BIOS I needed. I just could not wait for XFX support to get around to my issue.

Thanks to those that replied

Beware of the XFX nForce® 680i LTMB-N680-ILT9. If you run a Wolfdale core, flash with the BIOS P33 for the nForce® 680i SLIMB-N680-ISH9.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

1 recommendation

No_Strings

Thank you for posting the fix so someone else can benefit.