All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to caco

to caco

Re: More skewed stats....

Yep, That's exactly the way I read it. The story is written to make them sound as small as possible.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

1 edit

1 recommendation

Karl Bode

News Guy

I think you're being defensive for whatever reason, misreading the article -- or something. It clearly highlights that this is just Ohio. That's a massive jump, from 480 users in part of one county to nearly half-a-million in close to 77 counties. That's just one state. Whether Frontier can handle that kind of growth is a legitimate question. From what I've seen, they can barely handle delivering more than 3Mbps worth of connectivity to the customers they do have.

battleop

1 recommendation

battleop

To the average Joe Blow it sounds like some small company with only 480 customers is getting ready to jump to almost 500,000 customers. There is no doubt that they suck, but the story is misleading to the uneducated cowsumer.

I made my statement to point out how the numbers were skewed not to point out their ability or inability to take over the customers.
caco
Premium Member
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

caco to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
I think we are looking at different articles.

It looks to me that Frontier currently only has 480 subs in that area of Ohio. If they take over area from VZ their sub count would jump to 435k subs. That is 90,000% percent increase in subs not to mention the mountain of debt that come with that purchase.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

1 edit

1 recommendation

Karl Bode to battleop

News Guy

to battleop
There is no doubt that they suck, but the story is misleading to the uneducated cowsumer.
If the "uneducated cowsumer" can't read the headline highlighting the story's from Ohio, the repeated references within the story to the fact this is just concerning "Verizon's operations in Ohio," then I don't know what we can do for them. The article should have probably stated Fairpoint's total numbers, but I think you confuse omission with intentional maliciousness. I've added the transfer totals (including employees) to the first paragraph of our breakdown in order to protect readers from the supposed viciousness of the Columbus Dispatch.

battleop

battleop to caco

to caco
Is there some wall around the state of Ohio that would not allow them to draw from resources that are out side of the state?
battleop

battleop to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
I am not referring to anything you wrote, as most people here would understand that they are a multi-state company. I would consider the over whelming majority of BBR to be above average and would understand that they have more than 480 customers.

To the Average Joe Shmuck it sounds like some tiny company is going to take over their phone service and it that their phone service will probably get cut off.
caco
Premium Member
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

caco to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
The wall is the giantic debt that comes with the acquisition of those subs. Yes they are getting paying customers but from what has been the track record with these deals the benefit goes to seller and not buyer or customers who are sold.

These areas are between a rock and a hardplace. Either the stay with VZ and get forgotten or the get purchased by a smaller carrier and have a chance of being screwed by bad service and no upgrades.

Good luck to Frontier refinanacing that debt in the future.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 edit

Smith6612 to Karl Bode

MVM

to Karl Bode
Per the barely being able to take 3Mbps, might I add that out in Rochester NY, and in a few places around the US Frontier has people running off of 6Mbps and 10Mbps speeds that hold reliably. I'm almost positive that Frontier isn't having issues holding the higher speeds since they've been doing a bunch of upgrades to their networks, and that story was caused by someone looking to save some money, thus getting their speed turned down. Frontier actually used to offer 6Mbps in my area to Residents (which they removed as a choice a year ago), but since they had run out of bandwidth several months ago and brought more in, they only offer 6Mbps to businesses right now in my area. A Frontier tech at the CO though did tip me off that they are installing some new equipment/DSLAMS at the CO, and thanks to the huge amount of bandwidth the CO now has after boosting their fiber line, they may be setting up my area for 6+Mbps very soon to residents. The same tech also stated that he'd allow me to try out my line at the fastest sync rate it can hold (looking to be at roughly 6Mbps, higher with ADSL2+) once they finish upgrading things in my area to help them test things out rather than just allowing people to get it and sitting back to see what happens. The tech knows that I'm one of the heaviest users that Frontier has in the area who knows a lot about these things, so he sees it as a good thing to set me higher and hammer the connection.

battleop

battleop to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
"I think you confuse omission with intentional maliciousnes"

I don't think there is anything intentional, it's a case of another reporter who does not understand anything about what they are reporting on. Similar to a sports reporter trying to report on a medical story.
battleop

battleop to caco

to caco
"chance of being screwed by bad service and no upgrades."

If Verizon is trying to dump them they are probably already there.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to battleop

MVM

to battleop
said by battleop:

Is there some wall around the state of Ohio that would not allow them to draw from resources that are out side of the state?
Not walls, but I believe telcos usually operate as distinct business entities within a state for regulatory reasons. Someone feel free to correct me. What the public sees is the parent company. There wouldn't be anything to say that resources from the parent company, but the amount of regulatory and administrative overhead going from a few hundred customers to a few hundred thousands customers is quite a jump, more then just what simply drawing in their existing resources may be able to give them.

Personally I think all states involved should do as Ohio is doing. Maybe not necessarily suspend the approval, but definitely investigate what Frontier can handle, what their plan is for transitioning and future management too.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

OSUGoose to battleop

to battleop
No, in terms of Ohio regulators eyes, they only footprint here they have is that 480 in williams co. why would we care they have 2.3 mil total subs elsewhere. In ohio they would be growing by 1000% in size. Thus the reason why its being looked at carefully.
older dog
Premium Member
join:2005-06-09

1 edit

older dog to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode
Frontier only offers those speeds in a few select areas. Most areas see the max speed capped at 3/383

Edit: I have had RR now for almost a year and prior to that I had Frontier DSL at the same location.
I am about 1200 feet wire length from the CO and the RR node is across the street.

Frontier was generally stable but has increasingly had region wide outages for days, when asked for credit I was ignored.

Several years back Frontier seemed more willing to spend money on improvements. Now they seem more inclined to expand while ignoring the current infrastructure.

RR has not been flawless but almost all my problems have been caused by one tech who when he repairs one line he messes up the neighbors and the reverse is also true.

Bottom line on downloads or speed tests I get 3 times the speed on RR at half the cost.

The major problem with Frontier is that even where they have competition they charge far higher prices with far less service for your money.

Frontier pricing for my region. This is for digital phone and 3/ 383 internet.

High-Speed Internet and Digital Phone Unlimited
One-bill convenience lets you combine Internet, Local and Long Distance Services on a single bill -- or you can pay electronically with our Online Bill Payment.
Prices Starting At $94.99
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to OSUGoose

to OSUGoose
The OCC won't get shit. They'll be paid off just like all the other companies do to them. They're just like the PUC here.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
·Consolidated Com..

1 recommendation

spewak to older dog

Premium Member

to older dog
said by older dog:

Frontier pricing for my region. This is for digital phone and 3/ 383 internet.

High-Speed Internet and Digital Phone Unlimited
One-bill convenience lets you combine Internet, Local and Long Distance Services on a single bill -- or you can pay electronically with our Online Bill Payment.
Prices Starting At $94.99
Just to compare:
My Fiber to the home 25/25 (synchronous) and Unlimited California (Digital Phone) calling plan=$99.00 and some change.

I agree with your assessment of Frontier. Wholeheartedly!