2 edits

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

D-Link Banning Users and Deleting Posts Critical Of D-Link

Click for full size
Click for full size
MY RESPONSE JUST PRIOR TO BEING BANNED THE POSTS DELETED
Click for full size
Many of you already know about the DGL4500 Firmware 1.20 fiasco and the many victims that are the result of really bad business on the part of D-Link. Well I'm also a victim of this mess and after reading the following thread I posted under the nick of "dageek" a strong suggestion to people that they immediately file a Better Business Bureau complaint.

»forums.dlink.com/index.p ··· 5580.210

Not only have they banned me but they have removed the posts. My posts were on page 16 and 17 of the thread again under "dageek". Since there were warnings they were doing this in the thread I took the liberty of taking screenshots several times.

There is no excuse for D-Link's behavior and all D-Link victims are advised to immediately file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau at »www.bbb.org. Feel free to contact me as well if needed. There are significant rumors of a class action lawsuit.
--
Reinvent3d
join:2004-12-06
Camarillo, CA

Reinvent3d

No wonder why you got yourself banned. It's because you keep spamming the same shit over and over again in EVERY thread. Maybe if you didn't do that, you wouldn't have gotten yourself banned. Simply follow forum rules and etiquette, and no problems. You obviously didn't, so you brought it on yourself. Good job, noob.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Actually I didnt post it in every thread. One time only. Go back and read. ONE TIME ONLY!
Reinvent3d
Camarillo, CA

1 recommendation

Reinvent3d

Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's two that I found already. Stop being a royal douche, and maybe you wouldn't have gotten yourself banned. Stop your crying. You brought it on yourself.

What's the BBB going to do? Just give them a slap on the hand and say, "don't do that...he's a very angry customer!"
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Reinvent3d:

Here's two that I found already. Stop being a royal douche, and maybe you wouldn't have gotten yourself banned. Stop your crying. You brought it on yourself.

What's the BBB going to do? Just give them a slap on the hand and say, "don't do that...he's a very angry customer!"
Hmmm... looks like we have a D-link shill here...

Nice try but the one original post and all responses have been deleted. You have done nothing but photoshop my original post. Show us the links where it's posted please.
wandrew
join:2002-10-26
New York, NY

wandrew to Reinvent3d

to Reinvent3d
I doubt any company wants their user forum used to organize mass action against them! Would you?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Actually the BBB will do plenty. Currently D-Link has an A- rating which will be hurt significantly and quickly if they don't handle their affairs properly.

You seem to miss the bigger picture. I'm not the only person they have done this to. And as of this morning not only have they deleted my original posts and all the others who dared speak out and say hey...enough is enough...but they also deleted all the responses. None of these people including myself want anything more than resolution. D-Link has had almost two months to resolve the issue but the huge issue is they still have the firmware out on their website thus potentially causing damage to many other people as well.

This isnt some cheap $50.00 router, it's a $200.00 router and people expect to be treated better than this.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to wandrew

Premium Member

to wandrew
said by wandrew:

I doubt any company wants their user forum used to organize mass action against them! Would you?
Ordinarily I would agree with you but honestly you need to go back and see how D-Link has handled this. Take everything into consideration and understand how angry people are. I depend on these routers for some very specialized applications and right now I'm limping along because of something D-Link released as an upgrade when they shouldn't have. If that wasn't bad enough they released a beta update version that's actually worse then the original 1.20 that caused this mess.

They've had almost two months to correct the problem. They continue to keep the firmware on their website knowing full well there is a major problem (without warning I might add). And as of this post they've done nothing to offer victims some form of immediate resolution. Unacceptable and they deserve everything that comes their direction.

1 recommendation

Internet Expert to BHNtechXpert

Anon

to BHNtechXpert
The funny thing is though, only a small handful of people are having these issues. I have the same router/firmware and I have not seen any of these issues. I spoke with someone over on the dlink forums about the disconnect issue and it turns out they had a setting on their computer which caused it (NIC shuts down to save power). I would say that it is entirely likely the problem with this router is that of ignorance, and ignorance breeds anger. Upload your c onfig file to me and ill tell you what is the matter with your configuration.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

1 recommendation

No_Strings to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
A suggestion or two, if I may:

Complaining about how they run the site won't get you very far here (we can't control them) and will only get you nuked there.

The BBB doesn't have much teeth on a good day. A Taiwanese company will not likely be too concerned with them.

They are a global company with thousands of products. If you want to have an impact, learn to complain effectively. That means contacting corporate customer relations, product management, etc. Be clear, concise and specific with your issues and proposed remedies. Tantrums are ignored.

Finally, vote with your checkbook. If you can't find a working version of firmware that suits your needs, put the router on eBay and get a better one.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Internet Expert

Premium Member

to Internet Expert
said by Internet Expert :

The funny thing is though, only a small handful of people are having these issues. I have the same router/firmware and I have not seen any of these issues. I spoke with someone over on the dlink forums about the disconnect issue and it turns out they had a setting on their computer which caused it (NIC shuts down to save power). I would say that it is entirely likely the problem with this router is that of ignorance, and ignorance breeds anger. Upload your c onfig file to me and ill tell you what is the matter with your configuration.
Hi,

I wish it were just that simple (and so do a ton of other people). It's got nothing to do with your pc at all. The problem is that at about 72 hours the router starts to show significant errors which increase in numbers, as this happens the router starts to bog down, eventually seizes and you can't access the admin panel and if you leave it on long enough eventually all network traffic comes to a halt.

Then you have to reset the router and it will run for yet another 72 hours. You can almost set your clock by it.

Additionally the update has pretty much hosed wireless traffic with constant errors and speed issues regardless of signal strength.

I'm by no means a noob at this. I run a very high amount of traffic through the two dgl-4500's I own to service websites that I own 24 hours a day. They both have the same configs item for item and the only difference is last week I updated one of them to firmware 1.20. The one that was not updated is working fine.

Just so you know and dlink doesn't come back and try to say its the config. I don't port my config after updates. I've nev er trusted that thanks to previous bad experiences. I entered the new config BY HAND!
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to No_Strings

Premium Member

to No_Strings
said by No_Strings:

A suggestion or two, if I may:

Complaining about how they run the site won't get you very far here (we can't control them) and will only get you nuked there.

The BBB doesn't have much teeth on a good day. A Taiwanese company will not likely be too concerned with them.

They are a global company with thousands of products. If you want to have an impact, learn to complain effectively. That means contacting corporate customer relations, product management, etc. Be clear, concise and specific with your issues and proposed remedies. Tantrums are ignored.

Finally, vote with your checkbook. If you can't find a working version of firmware that suits your needs, put the router on eBay and get a better one.
I understand what you are saying. They haven't just done this to me but many many others as well since this all started. I've been following the thread and virtually anyone who dares say "hey...enough..fix it or replace it" has had their posts deleted and been banned.

If you go back up to the pics I posted you will notice that another user also makes reference to the same thing. This is not an isolated incident.

As for the BBB, I've had great success with situations like this especially with a company that already has a high rating and in the case of D-Link they actually do.

No_Strings...go back to my previous post in the wireless forums. I was actually prasing them until I too fell victim and obviously by the dlink forums thread they are seriously lagging on a resolution and feedback. I'm not some forum troll who just decided to bash them for the hell of it. I'm a two dgl-4500 dlink customer who was VERY happy until this week.

Now my hobby/business is somewhat crippled, I'm out $200 on a device that is clearly in warranty and no real hope of getting any meaningful resolution and I'm not alone. There are tons of people. Do a google search on it...this problem is growing...not going away.
Reinvent3d
Camarillo, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

Reinvent3d

I've been having problems with the router for WELL over a year. I got it in early 2008. Around February. In fact, I've told them MANY times how much they needed to fix certain things, regarding gaming, and wireless. It NEVER got fixed. I even told them how much crap it was. However, spamming the forums with the same copy and pasted crap does no good, and is considered as such - spam. If you bothered to read the rules, you shouldn't spam, and it will warrant a ban or warnings. If you want to complain, go do it with a bit more tact first and foremost. Spamming the same message over and over again is less than constructive, and doesn't serve any good for you, or any other user who happens to be reading it. So, you brought it on yourself. Deal with the ban, or keep complaining like an infant.

Edit:

Those screenshots were taken TODAY. Whether or not it's an original message, it's spam.

You posted the same thing here: »Re: [Info] DGL-4500 New firmware 1.21 beta
KGB7
join:2003-12-17
Rockville, MD

KGB7

Just buy another one and switch it out. Have the store send it back as DOA, and D-link will deal with it on their own.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I'm not saying you're wrong or that you don't have a valid gripe. I'm simply telling what I think might be a better approach.

Threads complaining about company X products and about company X on a site hosted by, sponsored by and moderated by company X will almost always be transient. Naive to think otherwise.

Warranty coverage isn't going to help you. Aside from the exclusions about fitness for a particular purpose and other weasel-wording, your only remedy is a replacement. Having another router with the same broken firmware isn't going to help you much.

D-Link is making a consumer product. If this is for a business, even a semi-serious business, get a SoHo level device.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

4 edits

BHNtechXpert to Reinvent3d

Premium Member

to Reinvent3d
said by Reinvent3d:

I've been having problems with the router for WELL over a year. I got it in early 2008. Around February. In fact, I've told them MANY times how much they needed to fix certain things, regarding gaming, and wireless. It NEVER got fixed. I even told them how much crap it was. However, spamming the forums with the same copy and pasted crap does no good, and is considered as such - spam. If you bothered to read the rules, you shouldn't spam, and it will warrant a ban or warnings. If you want to complain, go do it with a bit more tact first and foremost. Spamming the same message over and over again is less than constructive, and doesn't serve any good for you, or any other user who happens to be reading it. So, you brought it on yourself. Deal with the ban, or keep complaining like an infant.

Edit:

Those screenshots were taken TODAY. Whether or not it's an original message, it's spam.

You posted the same thing here: »Re: [Info] DGL-4500 New firmware 1.21 beta
That post was night before last I blv and I posted it because just recently I had plugged Dlink in a very positive way not realizing I too was a victim. I had an obligation to tell people to back off my previous suggestions for a bit. Look at the date and time. It was pre-ban and such and frankly it was the right thing to do.

As for your pics I'm sorry...please don't be offended but it was posted ONLY ONCE! Please provide the links showing where it was posted more than once. I've been in that thread since 6am this morning and the post was gone at exactly 8:45am PST. I fully expected them to delete it and ban me because they've done it to several people for exactly the same thing. Need proof just look at the response I posted above in one of the pics where "chunks" actually echoes the same thing.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to No_Strings

Premium Member

to No_Strings
said by No_Strings:

I'm not saying you're wrong or that you don't have a valid gripe. I'm simply telling what I think might be a better approach.

Threads complaining about company X products and about company X on a site hosted by, sponsored by and moderated by company X will almost always be transient. Naive to think otherwise.

Warranty coverage isn't going to help you. Aside from the exclusions about fitness for a particular purpose and other weasel-wording, your only remedy is a replacement. Having another router with the same broken firmware isn't going to help you much.

D-Link is making a consumer product. If this is for a business, even a semi-serious business, get a SoHo level device.
Once again I don't disagree. I was deliberate in my actions and my post and I knew (based upon other peoples posts being removed) that the end result would be the same. Hence the reason I took the screenshots.

It clearly demonstrates that D-Link is in denial, they want to do anything they can to cover up the REAL extent to the damage they have cause and will do anything within their ability to minimize the extent to which this problem exists in the public view. It also demonstrates the horrible customer service they have extended to their higher end customer base.

Had D-Link wanted or even cared to do the right thing they would have immediately contacted me by PM and tried to come to a resolution not only for me but the countless others that are affected. Instead they have decided to delete any post that even remotely calls them to the carpet on the issue and/or gives people alternatives on how to convince D-Link they need to do the right thing and immediately fix everyone they have affected.

Banning me and the others and deleting our posts has done nothing but make the issue explode (and if they think its bad now..give it 48-72 hours...it's only begun!) Where they had a small grassland fire previously this issue has now exploded into a full blown inferno and trust me...in 48-72 hours it will be unmanageable.
Reinvent3d
Camarillo, CA

Reinvent3d to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I'm not offended at all. However, you are. The screenshots clearly have two different time stamps. And, even the link I just provided says that same exact crap. Learn to read kid. I would have banned you for spamming the same crap.
Reinvent3d

Reinvent3d to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Lol. They sent me a replacement router, event though I was out of my 1 year warranty period. I got an A2, and started to test that. If you notice, they remove posts that continuously bash D-Link, on THEIR forums. Remember that, they don't HAVE to have a forum up to help do faster support for YOU. Instead, they could tell you to just fuck off and call customer support. Get a different attitude, and maybe they'd help you. Again, spamming the same message over and over again, wouldn't help either - posts removed or not.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Reinvent3d:

Lol. They sent me a replacement router, event though I was out of my 1 year warranty period. I got an A2, and started to test that. If you notice, they remove posts that continuously bash D-Link, on THEIR forums. Remember that, they don't HAVE to have a forum up to help do faster support for YOU. Instead, they could tell you to just fuck off and call customer support. Get a different attitude, and maybe they'd help you. Again, spamming the same message over and over again, wouldn't help either - posts removed or not.
You keep repeating yourself. We've heard you..I've responded **regardless** of your claim..I posted once and only once. That's why I wanted to see the thread. My intention was to post once and only once as there was no benefit to posting it anywhere else but that thread on their forums.
Reinvent3d
Camarillo, CA

1 edit

Reinvent3d

I have to keep repeating myself to an idiot. It just doesn't sink in. You got banned, simply for spamming. Deal with it. It's not ONLY once. It's 3 times now that I've counted, even on THIS forum. Don't cry about it on the forums, since you did it to yourself.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Reinvent3d:

I have to keep repeating myself to an idiot. It just doesn't sink in. You got banned, simply for spamming. Deal with it. It's not ONLY once. It's 3 times now that I've counted, even on THIS forum. Don't cry about it on the forums, since you did it to yourself.
sigh.. he just doesn't get it...now back to the topic
BHNtechXpert

1 edit

BHNtechXpert to KGB7

Premium Member

to KGB7
said by KGB7:

Just buy another one and switch it out. Have the store send it back as DOA, and D-link will deal with it on their own.
Hahaha awesome idea but that would be dishonest and it hurts the dealer. I'm angry with D-Link and not the vendor. But soon I'll have no alternative but to replace it and at this point it won't be with another D-Link product.
BHNtechXpert

1 edit

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

I'm pleased to say that it appears that we suddenly have some forward motion on the issue. All users affected that have posted in the forums have been asked to provide information including the serial number of the unit and mailing information and they are planning to lock that thread effective immediately. One might assume they are planning to take care of the affected users fairly quickly. We shall see....

Oh and to "reinvent3d" - noob my ass I'm no noob, I've been in the support game for 23 years and one thing you never ever ever do is delete your users critical posts unless they are threatening, vulgar or similar in nature especially when you know you have a problem and they can prove it without a shadow of a doubt.

RobNyc
Premium Member
join:2002-03-06
New York, NY

RobNyc to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
I went back to my Linksys WRT54G v2 running Tomato firmware, and ordered myself a new Dual-Band Apple Airport Extreme. Now that kicks ass, and now waiting for a new working firmware to put on the D-LINK DGl4500 so i can sell it.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS to Reinvent3d

to Reinvent3d
They do indeed delete post/entire topics. They have eliminated recent reports of Mixed B,G & N mode not working.

If one needs B then the only two options one has is B only or mixed B & G as Mixed B, G & N may work fine for G and N but you can forget B even half way resembling anything (cough cough) stable. Might as well not even offer mixed B, G & N.

I have experimented with mixed G & N seems stable for G and N and an old DI-524 for B on a diff channel
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to RobNyc

Premium Member

to RobNyc
said by RobNyc:

I went back to my Linksys WRT54G v2 running Tomato firmware, and ordered myself a new Dual-Band Apple Airport Extreme. Now that kicks ass, and now waiting for a new working firmware to put on the D-LINK DGl4500 so i can sell it.
Yup, don't blame ya at all. I'm on my way to CompUSA in a few to scout for a new router as well (of course it won't be D-Link). My hope is they will resolve this problem quickly but I can't wait in the meantime. I need my operations to be running 100%, not 50% and I don't have time to babysit the router that can't stay running more than a day or two.
BHNtechXpert

2 edits

BHNtechXpert to PamelaTS

Premium Member

to PamelaTS
said by PamelaTS:

They do indeed delete post/entire topics. They have eliminated recent reports of Mixed B,G & N mode not working.

If one needs B then the only two options one has is B only or mixed B & G as Mixed B, G & N may work fine for G and N but you can forget B even half way resembling anything (cough cough) stable. Might as well not even offer mixed B, G & N.

I have experimented with mixed G & N seems stable for G and N and an old DI-524 for B on a diff channel
Hi Pam,

Well this time they got caught in a big way. While they are showing some forward motion (and I mean very little) we are still proceeding in posting all this information on virtually every networking site that's relevant. Additionally this information has been forwarded to pretty much every trade magazine and association you can think of. The effort is starting off slowly (hey it takes a while for these things) but very soon will reach full steam and trust me when I say this...D-Link's marketing department is probably pulling their hair out right about now.

D-Link broke a fundamental rule of crisis mitigation and evidently has been engaged in this activity now for some time. Consumers have a right to appropriately vent their frustration and yes even on the company forums have a right to work together to come to a resolution and that includes involving a 3rd party such as the Better Business Bureau (Given the circumstances D-Link should be damed glad that's all we've done so far). But this isn't going away by a long shot, in fact we're just getting started.

I strongly recommend that D-Link immediately make these and any other customers who have become victims by recent firmware upgrades regardless of model whole by whatever means necessary including but not limited to replacement and repair at D-Linik's expense including shipping both ways. If they don't the actions of the last 48 hours will seem mild in comparison, that they can be sure of.

Consumers have a right to get what they pay for. They have a right to get exceptional customer service after the sale and they have a right to seek recourse when the manufacturer acts in a manner that damages the customer in any way and that includes releasing firmware updates that damage or make the customer's item unusable or unable to perform as advertised when purchased REGARDLESS of warranty status. If the firmware caused the issue then the company is responsible for it.

D-Link time is of the essence. Every day you delay in taking care of your customer this information and much more is being communicated throughout the community and while you can't feel the pain now, you'll soon be faced with the fall holiday spending cycle. Right about the time when all of these efforts will be coming to a head....I can hear the sleighbells and Santa now....but when when WE think of D-Link it won't be "Ho Ho Ho"....it's gonna be "No No No"

Cheers!

tipstir
join:2004-11-14
Boca Raton, FL

2 edits

tipstir to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
You have the right to voice you opinion but must understand that all forums can do what they want to do, as they're running it not you. Sure post can be deleted and they can be restored also. I am mod on another forum if things get out of hand then post can be deleted and posts or threads can be locked.

DLINK is a business they make network gear. You had purchased one and so did I. Sure like you I am unhappy with the gear and it wasn't cheap. But with all network gear can function as it was meant to be or not. Remember you had purchased Draft wireless gear. Draft is before released. So knowing that you had to agree to make that purchased where the network gear was not in standard or final draft mode.

Now before you start complaining what will DLINK do when N is finally standard in September 2009. Will these draft N be only draft N or will they be Standard N?

Internet Expert

Anon

What you have to understand is that this issue is not universal to the device or the firmware. A very limited amount of people are having problems. Of these I would guess that half of the people involved have caused the issue themselves by not understanding the device.